Why are women so Catty with each other?

Unless you are a best friend or close friend, women seem to be very catty and judgemental with each other. How can this be explained?

We seem so competitive, judgemental, and fair weathered with women aquaintances or total strangers, and it bothers me. I just want to know why we do this to each other.

Anyone ever notice this?

Unless you are a best friend or close friend, women seem to be very catty and judgemental with each other. How can this be explained?

We seem so competitive, judgemental, and fair weathered with women aquaintances or total strangers, and it bothers me. I just want to know why we do this to each other.

Anyone ever notice this?

Yes.. the women's worst enemy are other women..

Why.. jealousy.. plain and simple.. women are way more competitive and they constantly need to put down other women in order to give them some kind of importance.

sad but true.

Trialbyfire

You're always going to get oil and water personalities. This includes men with each other.

You'll find that men tend to bludgeon each other until they've shuffled themselves into a hierarchy.

While not a scientific sample, my general experience on LS these last few months seems to confirm the OP's observation about women trashing other women. The LS boys (at least the regulars) do not battle one another as the women do.

And if there's a male poster hierarchy, I'd love to see it.

• Author
While not a scientific sample, my general experience on LS these last few months seems to confirm the OP's observation about women trashing other women. The LS boys (at least the regulars) do not battle one another as the women do.

And I'm not even talking about LS experiences!!! Just today, i was walking my dog and passed by this woman/young adult who was dressed pretty trendy. She totally gave me the look over and i could feel it. Its like, what does she think i have that she doesnt??

I need to understand this. I want to hear from other women who know they judge and who know they are competititve and explain to me why that is. Why are you jealous?

Is it merely insecurinty issues? If so, how do we help you overcome those?

Trialbyfire

Without naming any user ids, yes, I've seen the LS men jousting and jockeying for position within the fictitious hierarchy.

Well said once again.. :love:

I do not see male LSers (regulars) trashing each other .. but I see women jumping on every single occasion to bash and trash other women... like I said... it's only driven by jealousy... it's hard to understand but that's the only reason I see..

And I'm not even talking about LS experiences!!! Just today, i was walking my dog and passed by this woman/young adult who was dressed pretty trendy. She totally gave me the look over and i could feel it. Its like, what does she think i have that she doesnt??

I need to understand this. I want to hear from other women who know they judge and who know they are competititve and explain to me why that is. Why are you jealous?

Is it merely insecurinty issues? If so, how do we help you overcome those?

I get what you're saying.. I agree it has to do with insecurities, jealousy, envy..

Once I was walking towards my bus stop.. two older women were talking together.. the one that was talking just stop ...looked at me.. no 'special look' just looking at me.. then the other one was wondering what the heck she was looking at, that made her stop talking.. she turned around and saw me... it was an awkward moment.. I don't know ... strange.. there was no jealousy 'look'... just an ordinary look..

• Author
I get what you're saying.. I agree it has to do with insecurities, jealousy, envy..

Once I was walking towards my bus stop.. two older women were talking together.. the one that was talking just stop ...looked at me.. no 'special look' just looking at me.. then the other one was wondering what the heck she was looking at, that made her stop talking.. she turned around and saw me... it was an awkward moment.. I don't know ... strange.. there was no jealousy 'look'... just an ordinary look..

Maybe its cuz you have great boobs ;)

but seriously...maybe we should turn this thread around a bit, and post the horrible experiences we've had with other women and their (or our own) judging, envy, lashing out etc...Then we can read all of them and realize how ridiculous and unfair we are being with one another, and MAYBE just maybe, change a few of us and our attitudes about women.

We are all human, all feel insecure at times, and all know life isn't an easy task. Why make it harder on each other?

Trialbyfire

Women look at each other for different reasons:

1. Hey, love that outfit.
  2. Oh my, totally tasteless outfit.
  3. She carries herself really well.
  4. Sheesh, I wouldn't be caught dead in that outfit if I had her body shape.
  5. Hmmm....she's really gorgeous, I wonder what makes her so?
  6. Oh man, she thinks she's the cat's meow and she's so far from it.

The list goes on and on. In essence, sometimes it's from a positive perspective, other times it's from a negative perspective. Sometimes it's just, plain human curiosity.

To consistently project it to jealousy or envy doesn't make sense to me.

There are a few women at work.. who, I know, by their attitude who just plain hate me.. one of them is in the higher management, the boss of my boss.. she hates me with a passion... why? no idea.. I have never really been close to her.. she's a lot younger than I am... but she's fat.. maybe that's the reason.. :rolleyes:

When I ask a few other managers about it.. they just say.. she's a big fat cow.. she is obviously jealous..

I know she will never give me any chance at my work... :sick:

There are other women on the same floor.. who are in my age range, fat, not so attractive.. and they are obviously NOT jealous of me.. we smile or chat with each other every chance we have..

I am sooo not jealous of any other male OR female.. I honestly think I have no reason to be.. :bunny: I have everything I want at this point in my life.. why would I envy anyone... it's only negative energy.. and negative energy makes someone ugly and age more quickly.. :p

got to go.. I have a date with my beautiful daughter..

Without naming any user ids, yes, I've seen the LS men jousting and jockeying for position within the fictitious hierarchy.

Lol you said "jousting"... I can imagine Guy A all being like, "Dude, en garde!" Guy A stabs Guy B with a double-dose of alpha-maleness. Guy B goes limp and squeals, "Touché!"

I guess it can go both ways although I admit I think girls seem to be more competitive to each other. Men generally just don't give a damn about other men. Grudge matches are few and far between, well, at least based on my experiences and observations.

Lol you said "jousting"... I can imagine Guy A all being like, "Dude, en garde!" Guy A stabs Guy B with a double-dose of alpha-maleness. Guy B goes limp and squeals, "Touché!"

That's fencing. :p

Well, if the Shack men are "jousting" for posting supremacy, I'm on top. :cool:

Its like " OMG did you see her Dress ?? What a s*** . She thinks she's so HOT , Not ! ( lol )

But with guys they get pretty upset pretty fast when you bash someone in the room. Most guys just don't bash.

We do have some immature ones that will tackle and play or openly insult eachother.

For me its like : . A co worker will walk up to me and talk some smack about another worker. You can either join in or look confuzzled...lol:lmao:

There is NO comparison between men and women in the regard.

Women are very jealous of one another, and put each other down constantly.

Women are much bigger misogynists than any man ever could be.

I have even noticed several cases in which mothers are jealous of their own daughters..

I guess it can go both ways although I admit I think girls seem to be more competitive to each other. Men generally just don't give a damn about other men. Grudge matches are few and far between, well, at least based on my experiences and observations.

Haha...more like straight lances!!

There are a few male grudge matches on LS. Just pay attention and you should be able to spot them. ;)

Most often Tony deletes the worst ones but sometimes, the passive-aggressive ones are left behind.

I think men are more open with their competition. For example, my brother in law and step-father have a healthy sports competition. It's one we can all enjoy. However, I've noticed that some women are catty and passive-aggressive. Men will actually have conversations about who has the better car or who plays what the best, etc. I've never heard women do that unless they were close to a fist-fight over some man.

In my experience, some women I've encountered do have a complex about age though. They miss the "good old days." I think it's sad that certain people can't accept the stages of life and feel the need to project negative energy onto others to make themselves feel better. I think boredom is another element. Some single women act out because they'd rather be hitched and some women in marriages/ltr's act out because they miss the freedom and excitement.

IOW, I don't think there's much difference between the level of competition or basic needs for the male sex and the female sex. I think the ways in which we compete are different.

• Author
There is NO comparison between men and women in the regard.

Women are very jealous of one another, and put each other down constantly.

Women are much bigger misogynists than any man ever could be.

I have even noticed several cases in which mothers are jealous of their own daughters..

I'm pretty sure we've established this already. now i want to know why. what is the cause...and i'd love to hear from women about it.

In my experience, I get annoyed with women in a particular district of the city i live in. The wealthier district that seems to breed the same woman over and over. Blonde hair, straight with side swept bangs, designer jeans, and some trendy top, topped with D&G sunglasses. They all weigh about 95 pounds. They seem to walk with arrogance, like they are so much better than you. AND I FEEL IT! i weigh 124 and would be considered fat to some of these ladies. I'd love to get in their heads though, and see how they really feel about themselves.

Why do i roll my eyes at these ladies??? I dont know. I guess I wish they could be more original. Instead its like looking at the same girl over and over. Or maybe I wish i was skinnier?

Dont know, but this thread definately has me thinking, and maybe next time, i wont be so bitchy.

I would still love to hear from the ladies about their bad experiences, and why they choose to act catty with others. So come on ladies, please share your stories. I dont care much about the male side of this (maybe on a different thread) so ladies....SPEAK UP! Lets work it out!

That's the thing... when guys compete there's usually some sense of... I don't even know how to put it, but there's definitely something there. Something honest. And if a douchebag is in the picture, he'll most likely get an "honest" punch right in the kisser and leave it at that.

But women on the other hand... I dunno. Passive-aggressive is one thing but I have seen cat fights back when I was in high school and let me tell you, they were far more brutal than the guys'. :confused:

narrowconception

On top of what everyone said, I think it's also down to how women mark themselves as "valuable". You get a Gucci bag, take it proudly out to the streets and show of your new fortune, and then there comes another with a nicer handbag and you'll get jealous and all. 1) why didn't I get that?! or 2) I wish I had the money to get THAT one. 3) What a show-off. It comes back to jealousy but then also ties to they're jealous because they look more "valuable". Hierarchy is as important to women as to men, if not more so. But the hierarchy is done probably by different standards... e.g. men with cars they drive and women with things they wear etc.

Can you remember the time you were pretty selfless once upon a time? I can, and it's breaking my own heart to be a b**** but people break your heart if you're not b***hy enough nowadays. Women are just vicious.

Many women just can't stand to be content and peaceful so they cause drama in every aspect of their life whether it be friendships or relationships. They thrive on intense emotion whether it to be negative or positive.

Sometimes it's not about competitiveness, sometimes people just don't like others for no reason, not because we think other people are prettier, and not because of insecurity.

Sometimes I just dislike people on sight, the people can be unattractive too. It has nothing to do with jealousy. Sometimes certain people just irritate you; the way they talk or if they are slow or annoying. I'm sure I annoy some people too, which is fine.

I'm just not a naturally friendly person, I am not going to just randomly smile and be nice to some other woman or man either (I am not nice to men either!). If I don't know you, then you basically are nothing to me, why should I go out of my way to smile at you etc?

If I see a really attractive woman, I would stare but mainly to scrutinize her and see what she is wearing, how she did her makeup etc. It may appear as being bitchy but it's not, it's just looking and studying. I don't smile at anybody I don't know.