Would you accept such a friend "warts and all"?

Hello again,

I know I posted a thread two days ago complaining that I have no close friends and admitting that I am uncompromising, but I was sincerely wondering the following:

Would most people accept a friend who, when she fights/argues, fights dirty and becomes disrespectful and manipulative - whether consciously or not? Does it even matter if it's intentional or not?

When I fight with a friend, at the very least, I expect for us to get the facts right, and not be cruel.

Someone here mentioned in my previous thread that love between friends sometimes means accepting them "warts and all". I am just wondering when a person's true character has been revealed and it's ugly, should you still accept that? Mind you I've only known her for one year.

J

It's a choice as to how we let other people treat us -- not really a matter of "should" we or "shouldn't" we?

Personally, I don't care who it is or how long I've known them...I won't accept cruel, disrespectful, manipulative treatment from anyone. To me, it's not about "unconditional acceptance" of others, it's about unconditional love and respect for myself! I am worthy of being treated well, is how I look at it.

I can't answer about this particular friend because we only have one-side -- yours. Can you provide an example of what you mean by 'fighting dirty?'

Accepting someone "warts and all" does not encompass abuse. If you feel you are being abused, then the friendship is not worth pursuing. "Warts and all" does encompass eccentricities, irritating little habits and other non-abusive elements of a person's character.

4givrnt4gtr

No you dont have to accept mistreatment from anyone. No matter what.

Its taking me a long time to learn this, but although people may not realize that what they are doing is wrong, it does not mean you have to accept it and just let it go.

If you've told this friend that she needs to change this for her own good and she still doesnt care, then its time for you to move on.