14 years old and gettin drunk

Hey.

I have a very good friend whom i have had for 10 years. shes 14 and i am 24. we grew up together, shes still growing and we treat each other like sisters. she has been there for me and i have been there for her, our parents are friends and we have so many good memories together.

My problem is that she is starting to drink and i cant handle seeing it. she posts pictures of herself and her friends at parties with alcohol looking drunk and it just sickens me.

ive tried talking to her about it, i covered everything possible that she should know from how it can destroy her future to the situations it puts her in to killing her liver, that she is too good for it and i want to pull her out of it. we have had a lot of discussions about it and she seemed to be interested in it and that she wanted to stay away from it but her friends and her year level are all doing it and the peer pressure is way too hard.

she used to be very involved in ballet and this kept her focussed on something and she was doing well, but then her dad left the state and she went down hill and turned to drinking i guess. now she doesnt dance, has lost her self confidence, and seems angry alot.

i found out that she is drinking again since she said she was going to talk to her mum about it and im just so angry.

i dont know what to do. do i just let her go and 'accept' it? or do i go to her mum even though its going to DISTROY our friendship.

i hate how just because drinking has become so socially accepted that young people and young adults ACCEPT that 14 year olds drink also.

i have stopped talking to her and she isnt talking to me because she feels that i am attacking her. but i cant watch her do this and pretend that im okay.

what do i do?

All I can think of is kids will be kids and it is (at least was in my childhood) a normal thing teenagers go through. The chances of becoming addicted are slim. She's at the point in her life where she is going to rebel there is really nothing you can say or do to make her not want to experiment. Just educate her with none-biased information and be there for her. But, of course do not promote that kind of lifestyle.

I'm not even sure telling her mother would necessarily stop her drinking - unless her Mum grounded her until she was 21!

Most teenagers go through a period where they experiment with drinking, and yes, peer pressure often has a bearing on this.

I agree that the best thing you can do is be there for her, and suppor her, without supporting that lifestyle choice. Better she has you to turn to if she needs you, than not?

• Author

i agree also... however shes started. she will not stop and she will continue to drink till she is of age. the 17 year olds at her school mix with the 13-14 year olds so as she gets older she will just continue.

i dont agree with teens will be teens. i was a teen and i had people strong enough who loved me to keep me away from it. i want the same for her. i waited till i was 17 in year 11. (legal age here is 18)

she only just got her period this year! shes too young to treat her body this way and she is too young to think that its okay.

i dont want to tell her mum because i can see it really making things worse for her. i dont think sitting back is the solution. but i cant find the right one.

i get angry at her school because they must know what their kids are doing. they must. where is the education for it, some shock factors for them to watch or something. they teach **** all in schools these days. they should teach kids how to love and respect themselves it should be a high priorety.