Your female point of view about this

BlueSoul

So basically I went to school together with a classmate (who of course happens to be a girl) who I used to fall in love with from year 1 to year 6 and then through secondary school from year 7 to year 11, and then college. We don't usually get along as well because of the fact that we don't know each other as much.

We haven't spoken to each other since then, until the coming end of year 11: basically, at the end of our pe lesson, as I was walking along the hall with my friend, and she too with her friend behind us, she suddenly called my name and asked what college I was going to. I told her where I was going and then she said that she wanted me to sign her yearbook, when I turned around she smiled. I was quite puzzled of what she just said, her wanting me to sign her yearbook, even though we don't adequately get along? I had a strong doubt that she would want me to sign her yearbook before.

About a week I signed her book.

When college started, and after a couple of weeks of college I was running quite late with my first lesson, as I was walking along the hall she was in front, when she stopped briefly to get her equipment and as I was about to walk past her she said hi with a smile. I said hi back, again puzzled.

Some while later when I was in the computer lab learning the process of driving with a few other students, she came in and sat next to me. She then turned to my side and said hi, again with a smile. I said hi also.

So, with this that I've experienced I've been wondering, in your (female) opinion what suddenly made her change her attitude towards me?

i'm a guy but maybe she didn't have the feelings before and she got them later on. This happened to me with a girl i knew for 4 years. I liked her but she was always a friend so i guess she never thought of me that way and after a couple of years she started to be interested in me and we went out. We broke up 2 days ago but oh well so my point is if you like her start to talk to her more, you know figure out if she wants to be more than friends, you'll know if she has interest in you and when its the right time and you feel good about just make the move or tell her. So she might of started to develop feelings for you later. Thats what happened with my ex gf.

• Author

Nah, I don't it has anything to do with love interests, but a lot of people told me that it's acknowledgement. Speaking of acknowledgement, what does this mean?

that she's open to the idea of interacting with you. Just take it as a compliment and go from there – worst thing that could happen is that you end up with a new old friend!

• Author
that she's open to the idea of interacting with you. Just take it as a compliment and go from there – worst thing that could happen is that you end up with a new old friend!

We are old friends - kinda. Everything I said from my first post was all from last year. Right now it's common neglectance. Just recently, I was waiting outside for class with a couple of classmates and when I sort of turned round she walked past me. We made no interaction, though, but it was short notice anyway.

there is not much meaning you can conclude from what you've described other then she is not taking a negative attitude toward you any more. If you'd like to be her friend, and if given the opportunity, possibly more; why not speak to her next time you run into her (if the surroundings are conducive) and mention that it seemed to you that you two weren't getting along so well for awhile, and that it seems now that this may have changed, and you're glad.

I'm a guy but here goes. You say that she is kinda friends, so why is it unusual for her to smile and say hello? That's what friends do.

And acknowledgement is where you 'acknowledge' someone. When someone smiles at you, nods their head at you, or acknowledges your presence.

I've been a contractor for a long time and all the time I get acknowledged by people I used to work with.

Maybe you changed your attitude towards her? She might have thought you weren't interested in being her friend. Just say hello start up a conversation. then ask what she's doing for lunch.

It sounds like you're making a big deal out of thin air. Saying hi with a smile doesn't mean anything. You two are in college now, and I can tell you, when I started college, I didn't care which people from high school I didn't always get along with before. It was nice to see familiar faces in that big place, and I always sat next to them.

You guys don't sound like you even really talk ... Talk to her. Get to know her and try to see her outside of school. Then get back to us with more details :p

missdeathwish

Any familiar face is welcome in a new setting. My guess is that she's glad to see someone she knows from high school and you were probably nice to her. Also, if you had a serious crush on her and she wasn't into you, I can tell you that makes a lot of people uncomfortable. She probably realized that you no longer are out for something more, or she finally figured out that anyone having a crush on you is a compliment, and found it charming. Don't make a big deal out of it, just enjoy having a friend from home while you're spreading your wings at college. See if she wants to meet for coffee and chat about school together.

• Author
Any familiar face is welcome in a new setting. My guess is that she's glad to see someone she knows from high school and you were probably nice to her. Also, if you had a serious crush on her and she wasn't into you, I can tell you that makes a lot of people uncomfortable. She probably realized that you no longer are out for something more, or she finally figured out that anyone having a crush on you is a compliment, and found it charming. Don't make a big deal out of it, just enjoy having a friend from home while you're spreading your wings at college. See if she wants to meet for coffee and chat about school together.

I never did find out whether she knew that I jad something for her and that from my initial reaction of her wanting my attention about what college I was going and wanting me to sign her yearbook was a random encounter.

What you just said from the last few lines isn't as simple as it may sounds. If I could remember, the only times when she ever put a smile was when I saw saw and vice versa in a remote area (no one around just us).

Give her a big smile back and say hello a few times--then strike up more conversation with questions like: How do like school? Are you finding it easy to make new friends? etc. See what develops from there.

Give her a big smile back and say hello a few times--then strike up more conversation with questions like: How do like school? Are you finding it easy to make new friends? etc. See what develops from there.

Sometimes when you see someone specific and when they're with a friend they don't usually make interactions with you whenever you encounter them, same when they're alone in a rather mid-crowded surroundings. But, based on my personal experience, when the area is quiet, they do tend to smile briefly. But yeah, bluesoul, just smile.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
It sounds like you're making a big deal out of thin air. Saying hi with a smile doesn't mean anything. You two are in college now, and I can tell you, when I started college, I didn't care which people from high school I didn't always get along with before. It was nice to see familiar faces in that big place, and I always sat next to them.

You guys don't sound like you even really talk ... Talk to her. Get to know her and try to see her outside of school. Then get back to us with more details :p

Okay the latest: so I was just walking up the hallway to look at some black and white photos on the wall, and when I turn around she was just about to walk past me. We saw each other. I was going to say hi first, but she was quick in response. She said "hey, you alright?" And I said "I'm alright". I was going to ask her what course she's doing as a way to start the conversation, but she just walked past.

What do you think about this? As self critisizing myself I would say that I could've done better.

What you said was effectively a conversation ender. You gave her nothing to play with.

You should have said something, anything that could have sparked a conversation.

Imagine a conversation like this:

Her: How was your weekend?

You: good

Her: What did you do?

You: not much

Conversation terminated.

• Author
What you said was effectively a conversation ender. You gave her nothing to play with.

You should have said something, anything that could have sparked a conversation.

Imagine a conversation like this:

Her: How was your weekend?

You: good

Her: What did you do?

You: not much

Conversation terminated.

But she carried on walking. I wasn't exactly going to ask back behind her, was I? It was short notice anyways when I turned around and saw her.

I find it hard to believe that a girl would ask how your weekend was and not even wait for a response. Your response gave her no reason to stop. You could have asked where she's off to. Then possible suggested walking with her.

You could have even said 'where are you off to in such a hurry?'

I've done that before. A workmate says they're going over the road for lunch so I go for a walk.

• Author
I find it hard to believe that a girl would ask how your weekend was and not even wait for a response. Your response gave her no reason to stop. You could have asked where she's off to. Then possible suggested walking with her.

I've done that before. A workmate says they're going over the road for lunch so I go for a walk.

No, she wasn't asking how my weekend was. She responded to me asking if I was alright.

Besides all that, she wasn't exactly pulling a smile. She sort of smiled, but it's more in between.

• Author

I was on the other side of the hallway and there were some few people waiting for class on the other side. So, could this be part of the reason why she carried on walking rather stop and have some form of conversation? I think I get it; if you try and put yourself onto her shoes.