surrounded by wrong people?

I had a talk today with someone i considered my best friend. My family have warned me against her, although we've been friends for almost a decade now.

Today though, we had a talked, which i thought was going to be tricky. I found out her ex bf, whom she supposedly loved, has cancer, and i wanted to let her know, as gently as possible. I knew she was very mad at him for leaving her, and had wished him ill (that alone was bad...but u know how people are when they are mad). Well when i told her she said she didnt care....and why should she be there for him when he wasnt there for her when she needed him.

I was a bit taken aback. If it was me, i would put all that behind, forgive him and, if not contact him, at least be sympathetic. But she admited she hated him and couldnt feel bad for his situation.

Am i wrong for thinking she's being cold hearted??? Or is this a warning sign that if thats how she is with someone whom she "loved" she will be like this with everyone???

Another thing that is still in the back of my mind is that once, i invited her out with my bf, and she became extremely demanding....wanting everything to be the way she wanted. I had to stop her and she calmed down, but it really annoyed me.

Its sad to think uve been friends with someone for so long but at the end of the day you cant really trust anyone at all.....

sad days