with or without you??

This question is mostly about a song really. I have this...sort of friend. We dated about three years ago but we broke up because he liked this girl before me for a very long time and he continued liking her so he let me go.

Now that girl was a friend of his, and she never requitted him but she did hang out with him a lot, made him cds etc. (leading him on i think but whatever)

Even though we broke up we worked together so we dealt with each other a lot. He looked miserable most of the time he was around me and cried over me a few times, even though he still liked that other girl...

Now here's the deal. Once i gave him and other friends a ride and coincidentally had a cd he had given me. It was U2 and the song With or Without you started playing. He sang that song sooo loudly and so soulfully we all in the car were kinda....confused. I looked up the lyrics and it made me cry (i still liked him at the time). I felt it described us perfectly since at least to me it talks about a guy who is in love with a girl who leads him on ('in a bed of nails she makes me wait") and also talks about another girl who is waiting for him and who he loves but cant be with because of the other girl ("through the storm we reach the shore you give it all but i want more").

Anyway fastforward to last weekend, we went on a trip with two more friends. Again we were in a car, but this time i was sitting next to him. The song started playing but i thought he was over it so he would let it go...but he didnt...he started singing, more softly this time, but sang the whole song. Now this weekend i realized he isnt over it...despite time and circumstances, but then im not sure that song is about us. I looked up the meaning of it and most people think is about unrequitted love. Just one guy who cant get over a girl that doesnt love him (which would also explain his loud singing back then)

What do you guys think???? if you've heard the song (and who hasnt really) could you give me your take on it? I mean other than the religious one ive seen too. Bassically im wondering if all this time ive been a fool thinking this song was about us when he might have just been thinking about that other girl. i dont know if he's still liking her or not (havent heard anything about her for a while) but you know...id like to know.

Help me out????

Diamonds&Rust

It could be about either you or the other girl. Or he could just really like the song.

We have no way of knowing who he was singing about, or if he was singing about anyone at all.

If you like him, why don't you talk to him about it? Ask him if he's still holding a torch for the other girl. And if he's not, ask him how he feels about you.

i feel this happens a lot. i might really like some-one or theres something in my life that seems to be exactly what a certain song is about, it seems almost as if it was written to tell you something about the situation.

i agree with nora, ask him about her or perhaps even if he has his eye on anyone at the moment.