What do you do when you feel you relate to fewer and fewer people?

One of my remaining friends will be permanently leaving the country, another hemisphere away, in the next few months.

This shouldn't be a big deal normally, and as it stands right now the friendship has actually come pretty close to running its course, as we've grown apart significantly over the years.

I just don't really know what to do about finding people who I can relate to in a similar fashion (I know that one cannot rush or fabricate friendships, though.). Over the last several years, I've been finding it harder and harder to relate to people in general even if I meet them successfully, and I don't doubt it's causing a circular effect that makes me more isolated. It's as if I have nothing in common with anyone anymore, and as if time spent going out of my way to socialize is meaningless.

What does one do when this happens?

Meeting people is automatic if you have interests that can be enjoyed socially. If you isolate yourself, then you will be isolated. But being an independent person is a good thing as long as you aren't walled off to everyone. Sometimes isolation just happens and it's nothing to worry about if you accept it and know it's temporary.

• Author
Meeting people is automatic if you have interests that can be enjoyed socially. If you isolate yourself, then you will be isolated. But being an independent person is a good thing as long as you aren't walled off to everyone. Sometimes isolation just happens and it's nothing to worry about if you accept it and know it's temporary.

This is definitely true.

I guess I just don't understand what is going on then. It's been years since I've met enough people whom I both have enough stuff in common with and who also show respect for differences and aren't liabilities in my life. (Regarding the liabilities bit, until pretty recently, I'd been finding that a lot of the places I'd been spending my time in happened to have served my personal purposes but also had the side effect of putting me around the kinds of people I did not want to be around, mainly flakes, back-stabbers, and overgrown schoolboys and -girls.)

sometimes you gotta make an effort to pull yourself back into the fold and learn to like the things other people are into, at least a little bit