Checking in w/former employers

I recently returned to my hometown after being away for a year pursuing a post-graduate paralegal certificate (my undergrad is in communications). I had a really hard time finding work here the first time around - I worked in a sales job for awhile that went nowhere. I disappeared into school, got the paralegal degree because I wanted to stay in the city, and there were lots of jobs there. My apartment got robbed, and I ended up moving back (with my parents) shortly after. I have few contacts left here anymore, and I've been applying to jobs in the city still (I'd commute for awhile, then move closer), but no luck cause they bring up the commute as a big issue. So, I feel like I'm stuck here, with no job. I thought about calling my former boss(es) - particularly my last one, since he runs two businesses and has some connections. Even something part-time for now, just to get started, is better than nothing. I don't know how to bring it up. I think he knows about the robbery because I went into his store (he wasn't there) a few weeks ago to see if they had certain items I was interested in re-buying. I didn't bring up anything about work, except to say that I was considering going back to the city to work. Now I see no hope in that. I don't know why they won't accept the re-locating situation - I think that's the only thing that's holding me back.

Anyway, I thought about calling the former boss to tell him that I've graduated school, been applying for jobs, and may get calls from employers about references - like a head's up. Then, I could bring up that most of the jobs I'm looking at are in the city because that's where the legal jobs are, but I'd rather stay here and does he know of anything? Is that ok? I know that I could probably find some part-time job waitressing or something, but it helps to know someone so I'll know a little more about the environment. I just never expected to get into this predicament - TWO degrees, and I'm having this trouble again.

Is that ok? .

yes, i believe it is...as long as you two had a good working relationship and he liked you and your work.

• Author

Yes, we had a really good relationship. He even hired me back after I'd quit to do a sucky retail management job that didn't work out. I don't like the current manager of the store, though. She came on a few months before I left, and I think she felt threatened by my relationship with the boss. If I got praised for my sales, she got huffy, and she often tried to convince me that sales wasn't for me and I'd be better off somewhere else. Then, prior to my leaving, she made a comment like, "Well, he may just fire me so you can have my job and stay in town." :confused: I'm afraid she could try to cut me down when called for references (the store number is on my resume, and she's there most often). That's another thing I want to address, but I don't know how. I actually got along well with the manager, but I definitely think she resented me. I don't have the store down as a reference, but as a former employer, so they may not even be called - I've done legal work since then, so law jobs will mainly be concerned with that, I think.

• Author

I did try calling him a couple times today, but I kept getting his voicemail. I called his cell phone because that's the only number I know and it's really the only way to reach him. It's not something I want to leave a message about, but he may not answer because my # comes up as "private" - he has said that he often doesn't pick up those calls. Could I say that this is: _______, and I'm calling to ask about job references - something like that? Ugh, I hate answering machines!

Sure, what you're suggesting is fine.

However, if you ARE actually intending to use him as a reference, as with all other employers you would use as a reference, you really SHOULD contact him to not only give him a heads up that he should be expecting to be contacted so that he's not surprised, but also to ask his permission to do so. I've had several people ask my permission to use me as a reference, and quite frankly, if I received a blind phone call from someone who hadn't asked, I'd be less inclined to give them a glowing recommendation.

• Author

I have the store listed under my work history section, and I have a separate section for references. The references I've listed know they're on there as references. But, sometimes people are more interested in speaking with former employers (my last employer I list as both), so I give phone numbers for all former employers, too. Wanted to add - my last boss actually wasn't the sales boss (the person I'm planning to call). I had an internship, which was my last job - guess I don't consider that a "real" job because I was unpaid. Sorry for the confusion. The internship boss was the one I listed as a reference.

Another question: How many references should be listed on a resume? I have my previous employer and a professor listed. I thought about adding more, but I'm not sure who all I should put down.

I have the store listed under my work history section, and I have a separate section for references. The references I've listed know they're on there as references. But, sometimes people are more interested in speaking with former employers (my last employer I list as both), so I give phone numbers for all former employers, too. Wanted to add - my last boss actually wasn't the sales boss (the person I'm planning to call). I had an internship, which was my last job - guess I don't consider that a "real" job because I was unpaid. Sorry for the confusion. The internship boss was the one I listed as a reference.

Another question: How many references should be listed on a resume? I have my previous employer and a professor listed. I thought about adding more, but I'm not sure who all I should put down.

I was always taught, references (3) should be seperate from the actual resume. I'd list at bottom of resume, "references furnished upon request", and give the references to the interviewer during the interview.

Applications usually ask for 3 references, so I think three should be good.

I'd list 3 references, and

• Author

Thanks for the advice - I talked with the boss, and he let me know that the business is shutting down and that they do need help with the going out of business sale. It will only be about a week, but guess it's better than nothing. Hopefully, I will have something full-time by then, though - not looking good so far! :( The fate of that business is indicative of what's happening to the town, unfortunately. I'm glad I called - for some reason, it makes me nervous to just call up and talk to people that I don't know very well/haven't seen in awhile. I'm going to have to learn how to get out of my comfort zone again.

You did very well, despite your discomfort. You also already know what to say so build up your confidence and apply yourself. You've got a good head on your shoulders as is.:)

Hope all goes well!