How to do this correctly

Recently, I was employed by a franchise of a fortune 500 company, and had to leave due to scheduling difficulties. My boss and co workers seemed to think highly of me, and I gave my boss over 1 month's notice before I left there.

A temp agency then employed me at a job at a HUGE postal/shipping company, and after two and a half weeks let me go unexpectedly, as they "no longer needed my services."

So, here I am once again in the job market. Do I need to call my old job (at the franchise) and make them aware that I'm once again looking for a job, so that when potential employers call to check my references, my old boss will be expecting them?

What is the etiquette for that?

In a way, I don't feel like I should have to call my old boss and explain anything to him. After all, I'm embarassed that the postal/ package delivery company let me go, even if I was just a temp there, and often temps have crappy luck.

BUT, I'd also hate to have a reference call him, and him slip and say something like, "Oh, I thought YL was employed at (insert worldwide postal company here)."

Is the fear in my previous statement even likely to happen?

By all means call him just say that it did not work out you gave him considerable reason to respect your work while in his employ. I don't think it could change now. If you are afraid of an awkward situation call after hours and leave a message on his phone.