Ask for job opening after internship?

anyway im finally finishing up my internship this week. I work in a big corporation, very often they have interns coming and leaving the company. Generally the company is fully capable of running itself w/o the help of interns.

The way i see it, if there are open positions, the boss will likely inform you and inquire of your interest in being an employee. For the time being i did great work there, work as impressive as employees. however I also know they have no need for me because they already have someone being paid to do what i did.

Well it didnt happen, and my supervisor went on vacation this week. It was a great learning experience. But a friend of mine made a good point, he said i should ask if they would be interested in having me after i graduate.

I gave it some thought...

A) im starting to get comfortable there...co-worker aspect wise recently i have gotten to know them very well to the point that we can chat up and even be friends. sucks to say goodbye to them and them to me, but gotta do what you gotta do.

B) I learned a lot there, but skeptical what else would be left to learn that i didnt in those 2 months.

C) Huge corporation, amazing and huge work environment...building in nice area. Amazing and friendly people throughout building.

D) possibly redundant work to come

E) Senior in college, who knows what other job opportunities could arise..but it doesnt mean other job opportunities wont arise later in life.

Before i got this internship I always had the mindset of going after what i wanted...and in most cases i did achieve success. At this point in my life I want everything that job had and more...but once you slip too far into the comfort zone, it will be hard to dig your way out...eventually almost hating your job.

But what are the odds that I inquire of job openings and actually get it?

HokeyReligions

It never hurts to ask. We hire a lot of interns and sometimes shift them from one job role to another so they can learn more. There is no way you could have learned everything about the company and the job in two months - there is Always more to learn, and the more you learn the more responsibilities you can take on as you grow with the company. If you like it there and they can't hire you permanently in your current position ask about other roles in other departments -- you'll learn more that way too.

Lots of interns will take a permanent job, work for a few years to gain the experience and exposure to more aspects of their field, and then move on to new jobs elsewhere. It's pretty common.

silentcharon

Hokey is right. As an intern, you have a long way to go. You have nothing to lose- so ask! "I really liked working here, I learned so much and would like to continue learning more here, would there possibly be a job offering here that I could apply for?"

If you were an excellent employee like you said, chances are that if they did have a job or at least something that needs to be done, you will be the first person they'd look at on top of that pile of resumes.

Go for it!

• Author

well my supervisor went on vacation...cant do anything until she comes back.

probably in the meantime ill try to look for other jobs, if nothing comes up ill give her a call.

silentcharon

Yes, look for other jobs, but don't exclude this job as an option. Leave your resume, with perhaps a note, for your supervisor when she returns. Then give her a call. You can even ask if she knows of other places that might be hiring, this is also a great way to network. I have done this and gotten two jobs this way.

• Author

hey thats a good idea. But question is..do i update the resume with my position and stuff i did interning?...kind of weird to have them read your resume of what you did at their company.

silentcharon

Yes, certainly, you can put that stuff down on your resume. Makes sense if you're looking for a job to further yourself in the company. It will also show that you have initative. It is kind of weird, yes, but it really does show some shine on your part.

• Author

thanks. i know sometimes ppl go into her room and possibly throug her desk to get files they need to work. hopefully it doesnt get lost or trashed somewhere.

i plan on writing this on the note as you had suggested...how does it look?

"I really liked working here, I learned so much and would like to continue learning more here, would their possibly be any job openings in my field as of this time or the near future? if there are, i would greatly appreciate it."

Best regards,

xxx

(555) 955-0555

[email protected]

silentcharon

You can ask someone to hold it for you and give it to your supervisor when she gets back.

I didn't mean for you to copy my words exactly, but that will do :cool:

Keep us posted!