Well up until today, I have absolutely 100% loved my job. No kidding here. The people are amazing, the atmosphere is amazing, and I love working with the public.

I have always been complemented on my work ethic. I feel as though I am one hell of a hard worker and my bosses agree with me, as do my co-workers. I received the greatest compliment of all: about two months ago I had two of my top bosses, both at separate times pull me aside and tell me how pleased that they are on how well and quickly I have learned my job. I was promised by both that if an opening ever came for a higher ranking position in my dept., i would be the first one considered. I was thrilled.

Just today, my main boss came up to me and said that they had made some changes in our dept. and they had indeed opened a new position as a coordinator, which is like an asst. supervisor in my dept. I get the news that this guy Joe had gotten the position. I was in shock, I couldn't say anything. My boss went on to say that it was a very difficult decision and that he didn't want me to get discouraged and said that my hard work has not gone un noticed and they still appreciate what I have done. I am so angry with my dept. I had considered changing depts. in the past, now I am extremely considering it. I am going in tomorrow and I will get some explanation behind all of this.

Hmmm., perhaps this should have been put in the personal rants and confessions section on here. Oh well, any comments are welcome.

Ya know what? Don't ask for an explanation. It'll just show that you are green.

No matter how much you like people you work for, or how nice you might think they are, you are just a cog in a wheel. Never ever believe a promise made unless it's in writing and signed and witnessed.

They know that most people know this. They probably thought you might know this, too. The work world is a shark pool and you're just a guppy.

If ever again anyone makes you such a promise, give them a wide grin, but don't place any trust in it and don't get your hopes up.

• Author
Ya know what? Don't ask for an explanation. It'll just show that you are green.

No matter how much you like people you work for, or how nice you might think they are, you are just a cog in a wheel. Never ever believe a promise made unless it's in writing and signed and witnessed.

They know that most people know this. They probably thought you might know this, too. The work world is a shark pool and you're just a guppy.

If ever again anyone makes you such a promise, give them a wide grin, but don't place any trust in it and don't get your hopes up.

But I am green. See my avatar?:laugh: Ok, enough of me trying to be funny.

I am just so mad because they did get my hopes up. I was really looking forward to it, but your advice makes very good sense. It doesn't help either that Joe and I really don't get along all that well, so this should be interesting. I still will look into transferring into another dept.

Sorry it happened to ya, dude. Unfortunately, launching oneself into the world of work pretty much guarantees that one's faith in humanity gets knocked down a few pegs.

But it's not personal - at least that particular type of injustice isn't about you because of gender of anything else. It's just that everybody gets cutlery in the spinal column once or twice in a career at least.

bluechocolate

Yea, what Outcast said.

Whenever someone in a superior position or a client praised my work I always politely asked them if they wouldn't mind putting that in writing. Something like,

"It's great that you appreciate what I'm doing & thank you for noticing & letting me know. It would be good if those comments could be on my HR file. Would you mind just jotting them down for me?"

That is certainly an easier thing to do when you're a contractor as you don't have an HR file with them & basically you're asking for a customer reference. However, it can still be done.

My boss went on to say that it was a very difficult decision and that he didn't want me to get discouraged and said that my hard work has not gone un noticed and they still appreciate what I have done.

Basically, talk is cheap. People will sweet talk you to keep you on side & then not hesitate to look you over at promotion time. If they're serious & know that you are too then they shouldn't mind committing their praise to paper.

I still will look into transferring into another dept.

I would too.

sorry to hear this. I think that often bosses will make promises that they never intend to keep to keep people working their butts off.

Sounds like a pretty poor set up from an equal opportunities point of view if people just get promoted without any transparanent recruitment process.

The problem is sometimes if you are just too damn good at your job, the management will want to keep you doing it and without a decent equal ops approach to promotion it would be hard to break out of the trap.

As for the situation you are now in, the job you do is still the same job, and you could gain a lot of credability by taking this slap in the face on the chin......but I'd be inclined to say you are worth loads more than this and take your skills and commitment somewhere else.

• Author

I decided not to say anything and I will not. Instead, I am going to jump at the first opportunity to transfer out of my dept. They were not completely honest with me, so I refuse to do that dept. anymore favors. I found out that a meeting was held while I was on vacation and smack was talked about me there. That was probably a big factor in the decision to give someone else that position. I don't need this and I won't put up with it. I just hope that a transfer comes sooner than later.

MWC_LifeBeginsAt40

If you enjoy your job, and see other opportunities, why not give it another chance? If mgmt sees how hard you still work at your job even though you were passed up for this promotion, I'm sure you will be next in line.

My suggestion would be to give Joe the benefit of the doubt that he was more qualified (even if slightly) for the position. If he has been there longer than you and you have equal qualifications, then obviously the company has more invested in him.

I like the suggestion to get positive feedback from peers in writing.

I was in shock,

You have much to learn, young Jedi....

I am so angry with my dept. I had considered changing depts. in the past, now I am extremely considering it.

if you're too valuable in your current position you may find they will block any transfer request. usually these types of transfers have to be approved by both departments. good luck

Hey Riddler,

For what it's worth I would suggest keeping your cool, holding your tongue, and giving it a week's worth of thought and careful watch.

I think you may find the need to say something about it. Self-assertiveness is a pretty great characteristic in a worker hoping to move up through the management levels. Tact is an important characteristic too... that means be careful who you talk to, when you talk to them, and in what way you approach the subject.

There is absolutely no problem in asking what trait or skill they might like you to improve on that might have gotten you that job. I believe their answer will be a telling clue to help you decide to seek something outside the department or not.

Make sure your actions in this situation keep you in line for what your goals in the company may be. Your attitude displayed in your response in this situation may make or break your chances there.

Sorry you got passed up; I know what a stab in the back that can feel. Best wishes for recognized success but even greater wishes for a good life beyond the company walls,

Taressa

I was promised by both that if an opening ever came for a higher ranking position in my dept., i would be the first one considered.

Okay - so they considered you. And decided on Joe.

But how do you see this cast in the light of a business decision? Can you be objective? Have you seen Joe "at work," so to speak?

Well up until today, I have absolutely 100% loved my job. No kidding here. The people are amazing, the atmosphere is amazing, and I love working with the public.

Now... can one thing like this bring the whole world tumbling down? Do you think there will be other opportunities for advancement - if that's a short-term goal of yours?

• Author
Okay - so they considered you. And decided on Joe.

But how do you see this cast in the light of a business decision? Can you be objective? Have you seen Joe "at work," so to speak?

Now... can one thing like this bring the whole world tumbling down? Do you think there will be other opportunities for advancement - if that's a short-term goal of yours?

Yes, I have seen him work. Not to brag or anything, but I know that I am a much harder worker then him. Pretty much every single person in my dept. is not happy with the decision either. These people come to me if they have a question because I know that I know my job better then him. I also have people from other dept.'s asking me how he got the promotion. He is not too liked around there. Either way, the decision has been made. I know for a fact that the management has not been completely honest with me, so I will bite my tongue on this and continue to do my job at my fullest ability and when the opportunity does arrive for a transfer, I will apply for it

• Author
Hey Riddler,

For what it's worth I would suggest keeping your cool, holding your tongue, and giving it a week's worth of thought and careful watch.

I think you may find the need to say something about it. Self-assertiveness is a pretty great characteristic in a worker hoping to move up through the management levels. Tact is an important characteristic too... that means be careful who you talk to, when you talk to them, and in what way you approach the subject.

There is absolutely no problem in asking what trait or skill they might like you to improve on that might have gotten you that job. I believe their answer will be a telling clue to help you decide to seek something outside the department or not.

Make sure your actions in this situation keep you in line for what your goals in the company may be. Your attitude displayed in your response in this situation may make or break your chances there.

Sorry you got passed up; I know what a stab in the back that can feel. Best wishes for recognized success but even greater wishes for a good life beyond the company walls,

Taressa

Thanks for the words of encouragement, but because of the fact that they were not honest with me is enough for me to just concentrate on moving to another dept. I would rather take my chances with another dept. anyways. Like I said, I will still do my job to my greatest ability, but I am done.

if you're too valuable in your current position you may find they will block any transfer request. usually these types of transfers have to be approved by both departments. good luck

Its obvious that I am not thought of as being too valuable, so that shouldn't be a problem. I have mentioned a transfer to my boss in the past, so he knows. I just wasn't actively trying to pursue it. We have enough people in our dept. for me to transfer, so there should be no excuses.

superconductor

Promises made by companies and many, many supervisors are little more than background noise. It's sad that you had to learn this the hard way, but unfortunately it's extremely common. In fact, in my experience, it's far more common for promises of this nature to be broken or ignored than to actually have then followed through.

Keep your mouth shut, your head down, and start buffing up the resume.

Promises made by companies and many, many supervisors are little more than background noise. It's sad that you had to learn this the hard way, but unfortunately it's extremely common. In fact, in my experience, it's far more common for promises of this nature to be broken or ignored than to actually have then followed through.

I've worked at a number of Fortune 500 companies and I would agree. You have to either be hired into the postion, or know someone, or be in the right place at right time (i.e. lucky). Most "promotions" or transfers don't happen.

Excellent advice.

I'm sorry to hear that the other guy got the coordinator position and that your boss' words and promises were just that - promises.

As the other posters said it happens a lot, but I can see why you are disappointed and upset.

I hope you'll transfer soon and that you will feel that your work is more appreciated in the new dept.

• Author
I'm sorry to hear that the other guy got the coordinator position and that your boss' words and promises were just that - promises.

As the other posters said it happens a lot, but I can see why you are disappointed and upset.

I hope you'll transfer soon and that you will feel that your work is more appreciated in the new dept.

Yes I had to learn the hard way that the bosses words were meaningless, but I am over it. Thanks, I do hope that I can transfer soon too.

I am definitely not saying anything, but I refuse to keep my head down. I am confident that I will get a transfer. I have talked to other employees in other dept.'s and they know that I am interested, so it should only be a matter of time.

Pretty much every single person in my dept. is not happy with the decision either.

Haha... the only happy one is Joe, hey? Hard work is good for the soul, and I'm sorry that yours wasn't rewarded with a spot on the next rung of the ladder.

Right then. Do you have an conspiracy theories? Blackmailing the boss? Office politics is just so fascinating.

• Author
Right then. Do you have an conspiracy theories? Blackmailing the boss? Office politics is just so fascinating.

Hmmm...haven't thought of that yet. Any good suggestions are welcome.

I would hang around and see if Joe can do his job and if not then you're next in line. I wouldn't try to take work life seriously imo. I see it as irony, something to laugh at rather than take personally. In another words there is more to life than work.

I wouldn't try to take work life seriously imo. I see it as irony, something to laugh at rather than take personally. In another words there is more to life than work.

Agreed....

• Author
I would hang around and see if Joe can do his job and if not then you're next in line. I wouldn't try to take work life seriously imo. I see it as irony, something to laugh at rather than take personally. In another words there is more to life than work.

:laugh: Just so you know, I was only kidding about the whole office politics suggestions. I am over it already, but I am still going to transfer.