Comment Made

parentdetective

Hello

A few months ago, I was bringing my Breastfeeding equipment to work. One day my new Boss, who only visited once a month came in. He then made a rude remark about the equipment. It was in a locked office where very few people saw it. I was told this is dicrimination. What is your opinion??

Hello

A few months ago, I was bringing my Breastfeeding equipment to work. One day my new Boss, who only visited once a month came in. He then made a rude remark about the equipment. It was in a locked office where very few people saw it. I was told this is dicrimination. What is your opinion??

I don't think anyone can really say if it was a discriminatory remark unless we knew what exactly the remark was.

I don't think anyone can really say if it was a discriminatory remark unless we knew what exactly the remark was.

I won't be willing to treat the original post as anything except total fiction until that spam link is removed from parentdetective's signature.

Seen_It_All

Who gives a rat's a*ss if he made a rude remark? I'm female and I, too, would probably have found this eqipment strange in a professional setting. Sorry, not one of those earth mother types.

What do you want? An apology? A million dollar descrimination suit? Not everyone finds breastfeeding wonderful and beautiful. Hey, it is what it is.

It depends on what exactly the comment made was. In order to answer your question, we would need more information.

Most people who bring something like that to work carry it in a box or bag or some container where others don't know what it is.

Seems not only unprofessional to bring a personal item like that in where it is visible, but childish too.

Would you keep a box of tampons out in the open too?

What was his remark?

If he said something like "you don't need that - I'll help" then you've got a problem. If he said "Put that away or cover it up" than you don't.

Most people who bring something like that to work carry it in a box or bag or some container where others don't know what it is.

Seems not only unprofessional to bring a personal item like that in where it is visible, but childish too. .

I think the OP stated that she had stored her breast pump in an unused office so as to keep it out of the way .

Would you keep a box of tampons out in the open too? .

Are you really comparing a food extraction device to nurish a baby to tampons? Come on, why do people get all uncomfortable about a completely natural process?

Depending on the comment, it may not be discriminatory.

Many organizations still do not have or support working mothers.

I honestly don't know if it was discrimatory because your post is so vague.

Maybe he was just kidding around you took it the wrong way.

Or maybe he was overtly hostile.

I can't tell from what you wrote.

Are you really comparing a food extraction device to nurish a baby to tampons? Come on, why do people get all uncomfortable about a completely natural process?

Sex is also a completely natural process, yet something you don't talk openly about at work with your boss. A good number of men get uncomfy with breast feeding beacuse it involves breasts, which are equally as sexual as they are essential to nursing a child.

Your boss or coworkers should not make discriminitory comments, but they should be allowed to make a comment about how they are uncomfortable with such things in the office.

I have absolutely no desire to see a woman breastfeeding a baby unless she is really hot and I'm the baby. Otherwise it seems to be a private activity, as it involves exposing the breasts. Even with that flimsy little blanket there hiding things, you still know what is going on. Lips on nipples, which is nothing short of titillating.

As far as the pumps go, I'd hope she could find a private place to do that as well. Either that or let me do the pumping.

I have absolutely no desire to see a woman breastfeeding a baby unless she is really hot and I'm the baby. Otherwise it seems to be a private activity, as it involves exposing the breasts. Even with that flimsy little blanket there hiding things, you still know what is going on. Lips on nipples, which is nothing short of titillating.

As far as the pumps go, I'd hope she could find a private place to do that as well. Either that or let me do the pumping.

...unless she is really hot and I'm the baby.

But you ARE the baby!:p

(That was actually hilarious though!:lmao:)

No Stress Lady

LMAO!!!!!!!!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I don't know what kind of job/workplace the OP has but I have NEVER encountered or even heard of people breast-pumping at work - I know that the thought of it/sight of breast pumps etc at work would make the guys I work with very uncomfortable!! Not because there's anything amiss with breastfeeding but more because it's not really something that's appropriate within an office environment.

I worked at a restaurant for a while and other customers often got really grossed out if any mothers breastfed in there - yes it's perfectly natural but I think it's a bit much to expect that everyone will feel comfortable with it - lots of people don't!!!!

As for the OP - well I guess it would depend on what, exactly, her manager said.

Be interesting to see her response....

proudnchildfree
I worked at a restaurant for a while and other customers often got really grossed out if any mothers breastfed in there - yes it's perfectly natural but I think it's a bit much to expect that everyone will feel comfortable with it - lots of people don't!!!!

Yes, I agree, but unfortunately that's the attitude that seems to be prevalent among "new mothers" - i.e., "I'm having a baby, therefore bow down to me. You must put up with my discussions of how distended my breasts are and how rotten my body parts feel, no matter how private they are, because I'm bringing life into the world!"

But for the love of God, keep your breastfeeding to yourself.