Can I pick 'em or what!

HokeyReligions

I like what I do. I like my boss. Butttttttttt

Since moving (within the company) to a new project right before Christmas I've been caught in a war. Right smack in the middle of it.

There are two departments who are supposed to have shared responsibilities. I work for one department, but I do work using another department's technical resources. I have had one hell of a time getting my work done because the two warring factions can't decide on how it should be done.

On Wednesday my boss met with her boss and they came back with "you (me & my counterparts) do NOT report to the other department and we are not to follow their instructions. Anything they tell us to do, or any changes they make MUST be approved by us (my boss and her boss)"

OK. I'm working under that. I'm being productive. I finally have some support (we all do).

Today one of my counterparts comes by my office with her keys in her hand. "Boss just called - I've got to take her home, she can't drive. Lois is going to follow and bring me back."

"What's going on? Is Boss OK?"

"We don't report to her anymore. We are under Other Boss now! It looks like your project is going away. Boss is still employed here, but I don't know how. Her boss did exactly what he promised he would not do in the meeting yesterday"

Later at the monthly department meeting Her Boss skitters around all the questions and what we managed to find out is that Boss has a choice - work for the man she absolutly hates and has been at war with, or leave the company. The two departments are going to disappear as separate departments and form a new department under the Other Boss. The Other Boss is already known for getting rid of those he has not hired himself and staffing with new people---after having the people he's cutting train his new recruits.

The war was brewing before, but my project was the catalyst for this explosion. I know I'm going to be out of a job soon (yes, I've updated my resume and already got it back into circulation) and I will have to let my clerk go and some of the other people too. A lot of my counterparts on other projects are in the same boat, but its going to start with me since my particular position is in the center of it. I don't know how long I have. It could be any day or a few months from now. My Boss apologized last week for putting me into such a craptacular mess -- she had no idea how bad it would be. She's been honest with me and I trust her. I'm really worried about her too because she's a single mother and also has some serious health issues to contend with. She CANNOT STAND Other Boss! I've only dealt with him a couple of times and one of those times wasn't pretty so I have no illusions that he will keep me around because of my skills. At the time I was acting on the instructions given to me by my Boss, but I don't think Other Boss will recognize that -- or care.

My Boss's Boss was trying to say this was a good thing because it gives us all more opportunity to move up in the company and the new department and all the BS management always spews forth when they know their jobs are safe and they still want productivity out of the rest of us. I am not going to pass that BS off to my people - they know the score and I'm not going to insult them.

I only went back to work for this company last July! Can I pick 'em or what!

• Author
HokeyReligions

well my boss and two other people were officially "canned" today. There have been lots of meetings of project managers and upper management. MY project managers. sigh. I think I'm going to work tomorrow and print out all my CYA emails and such. I've emailed them to my home so I have them, but I think I'll get 'em all together at the office.

Sheesh. I got a call from a former contract employer who would like me back for three months, but I would have to start on Monday. I said no and I need to find out what's going on. If I can get some answers on Monday or get a better feeling for how long I have there I'll consider it and if I can and have to, I'll start on Tuesday. Bird in the hand kind of thing though. I'd rather stay where I am.