What Jobs Are Suited For People With ADD

I know you have seen prior threads of this complaint before, but it's really becoming a problem.

I have started this new job almost 5 months ago. Already, I am getting complaints that I make too many mistakes - stupid little mistakes, but mistakes enough that make everyone crazy! No matter how hard I concentrate, I always manage to screw something up. It feels out of my control, since I am an Admin Asst and my job is to maintain accurate files,etc,etc. Although never diagnosed, I suspect I have ADD or some form of a learning disablity. For my own personal reasons which I do not wish to discuss, i will not try the ADD drug, but I am willing to get some type of theraputic/behavioral help. My question is, what shall I do with my life in the meantime?

I have a bachelor's degree from a reputable university, yet I cannot take on simple tasks in the workplace. Obviously, I need a job and a career, but in the meantime, I keep getting complaints and sighs of my persistant mistakes. At this point, I can understand all my co-worker's digust with this, but what can I do as of now? This is already a new job and I'm getting married in a few months, so the idea of starting another new job is just too much stress now. But after the wedding, should I consider another career that is not in an office? No customer service jobs, since that is my worst. But what jobs are good for people with ADD?

Kate

Sounds like you do need to find something that you can do that will allow you to be less detail oriented and more big picture. If you can, I would recomend taking the strength finder test by gallop poll. It will give you a really good idea about what your strengths are. You should capatolize on those instead of trying to fix your weeknesses. Once you discover what makes you excited at work, you can find a job that will include and promote these duties that make you want to excel.

Can you at this moment, think of any duties at work that you really enjoy.? Take a moment to write them down,this will give you some direction.

• Author

I used to want to be a social worker-more so the type of social worker that would deal with troubled teens. I like interacting/analyzing people, writing (freely) and that's about it.

I am trying to battle my disablity because I need my paycheck until I find something I can do without screwing up.

My BA is in Communications, but I have little computer experience. Someone mentioned to me I should to sales, but I know that's a very tough field (plus I like security-not the feeling like if I don't sell, I don't eat).

At this point, I'm just depressed. In my whole lifetime, I have never seen anyone as bad as me (making mistakes). I always got this statement from my bosses:

"You're a great worker, you work hard, but you just can't do your job right."

or the last part of the statement is usually, "maybe you could have picked up things a little faster.

I feel very trapped. My life is spent getting fired, one job after another for the same reason, starting new jobs where it's only a matter of time co workers discover I have ADD. It's very stressful to live a life like this.

In regards to what my strengths are, I have been told I should be a make-up artist. I know that they don't make much money though.

I really think you are being too hard on yourself.

I actually have deslexia but make a really good living. In hotel sales. My base is more than my bonus. I like what I do, so I worked my way up the ladder pretty quickly.

You really don't have to have major computer skills to work in communications. I also don't think you should get into a field just because someone else told you you would be good at it. You need to discover what you like. Don't be afriad to look into jobs that you think don't make that much money, you may be surprised at what you find. I could never be an Admin, I can not do that skill. I'm like you. So I have always stayed away from that line of work. Knowing what you like to do at work is the first place to start. Were you able to think of anything at your job that you like?

Hi, Katie

You might want to check out Wilma Fellman - on the Internet as well as her book. She has written a book on careers for people with ADD.

BTW, you can't 'cure' ADD with behavioural counselling. You can buy tools to help you and set up certain procedures to organize yourself better but you should not, IMHO, reject any option that may help you.

It may also be that you have another condition; there are other conditions that mimic AD/HD. You can go to Dr. Daniel Amen's site and take a self-test to see whether you have ADD symptoms but it would also be worthwhile to get a proper diagnosis to rule out the other possible conditions.

Katie, I strongly believe that ADD is something you can get over, and I have seen the results. Ive seen kids that have been diagnosed with ADD that have moved on to a healthier diet, and become more active. The improvement is remarkable. Considering the number of additives in food these days, its not surprising that ADD has become so prominent in the last 10 years, and that ADD did not exist in medical terminology 50 years ago.

Actually, the term may not have existed but in fact the condition has been known for a long long time and Ritalin has actually been used for about 50 years. It's not 'new' any more than schizophrenia is 'new'; it's just that science finally caught up with the condition and is able to pinpoint it.

As for the kids you think 'outgrew' it, they tend to show different symptoms as they age but just seeing them in the street or at school doesn't tell the whole story. I promise you if you live with an adult who did not lose symptoms (more than 60% of kids with ADD go on to adulthood with it) you will understand that there's nothing fake about the condition and it can't be fixed by just a bit of trying harder.

...ADD did not exist in medical terminology 50 years ago.
:) of course it didn't there were different names for it, some of the other names and significant events are:

1848 - ADHD were symptoms described by a German doctor.

1902 - "Defect of Moral Control"

1922 - "Post-Encephalitic Behavior Disorder"

1920s - "Minimal Brain Damage"

1937 - Stimulants used to treat hyperactive children.

1956 - Ritalin used to treat hyperactive children.

1960s - "Minimal Brain Dysfunction" and "Hyperkinetic Disorder/Reaction of Childhood." DSM II 1968

1980s - "Attention Deficit Disorder" and "Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder" DSM III 1987

PS - "Follow-up studies have shown that children with ADD do not outgrow their difficulties." from The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy, Section 19. Pediatrics, Chapter 262. Developmental Problems, Attention Deficit Disorder

As for the kids you think 'outgrew' it, they tend to show different symptoms as they age but just seeing them in the street or at school doesn't tell the whole story. I promise you if you live with an adult who did not lose symptoms (more than 60% of kids with ADD go on to adulthood with it) you will understand that there's nothing fake about the condition and it can't be fixed by just a bit of trying harder.

The kids I saw were in one case a child of a friend, and the other was a relative. The change in them was remarkable after they were put on a diet with lots of fresh food and none of the manufactured crap found in supermarkets that are full of preservatives. And the doctor that advised the parents in both cases has given the same advice to other patients and the result was the same.

Does this prove that it is a cure for ADD? No, but it does no harm to have an open mind when dealing with health issues, particular when in this case it means changing to a healthier diet. Putting a kid on ritalin will damage their body, changing to a healthy diet will only benefit them.

I didnt say ADD is a fake condition Outcast, only that its occurence has become more predominant in recent years

of course it didn't there were different names for it, some of the other names and significant events are:

Well obviously craig, when a condition becomes more prominent, doctors are going to slap a common name onto it so the symptoms can be identified without having to look up a dozen different conditions.

Katie, something that may help is to look back on your early years 5 to 7 say and think about what you liked to do at that time. Maybe that is what will work for you. I did that and turned my innate desire to help people with their tasks into a business that motivates me and makes me feel good about myself.

Having a correct diagnosis of your condition will go a long way towards helping you to find the career that works for you. The Dr. Amen site (mentioned by Outcast) is outstanding but getting an accurate diagnosis of what, if anything, you might have is very important. You may not have ADD but have something else or a combination of two or more things that have some symptoms similar to ADD or it may be something completely different--my point is that you really don't know right now.

How specifically? Please cite your sources.

Are you joking craig?? You haven't heard about the links between ritalin and depression? I wasn't going to post any links to back up my statement because I'm not a self important wanker and this is a forum for people to post opinions and experiences they've had, and more to the point I havent studied medicine, but I found this site after a quick search on google.

http://www.preventcancer.com/patients/med_avoid/ritalin.htm

If you think that medicinal drugs do not have a negative affect on your body, particularly the liver, then I suggest you do some reading. Yes western medicine can help, but it also comes with its side affects.

See, you can't just pick any site on the internet and believe what it says. That's a very common mistake. You need to go to reputable sites. I already suggested the best in the land; the National Institutes of Health, the American Medical Association, The American Academy of Family Physicians, Harvard.

You've cited one guy citing one old study. There have been many, many more studies over time that have different results. Again, if you're going to quote studies, they have to be peer-reviewed, properly conducted, and supported by further studies.

I haven't been posting on this site for a while because I finally went to a head shrinker and got treatment for my ADD. The behavioral stuff is somewhat comon sense, but helpful. The drugs (adderall) help a lot more. If I don't take them, it seems like it takes me forever to get started on a task.

I work as a designer, which is a pretty good job for someone with ADD, sometimes it helps to be able to zone out and let you mind wander. But I was having a hard time getting anything done. I had all of these great ideas that were going nowhere, because I couldn't focus on getting them done.

Now I spend less time goofing off on the internet and I feel like I am starting to get my feet under me.

I have also been able to take on a lot more responsibility at work. My boss trusts me to get things done now.

I will not try the ADD drug, but I am willing to get some type of theraputic/behavioral help. My question is, what shall I do with my life in the meantime?

Why not? There is more than one drug. There is even one that is non-narcotic, although it costs more and I didn't like it.

Things that helped without drugs:

Keep a notebook and write everything down. (Phone numbers, meeting notes, conversation notes etc.) For some reason it impresses people when you take notes on everything too.

Keep a running list of things that need to be done at work. I probably update my list 2-3 times a day.

Learn to prioritise tasks and don't start a new task until the top three things are complete. (I'm still working on this... I shouldn't be writing this right now).

Break everything down into smaller tasks or 20-30 minute chunks. If you have a big project, work on it 20 minutes at a time. This helps you get over procrastination.

Reward yourself. Set easy/small goals and reward yourself when you achieve them. (for some reason I have a hard time with this too.)

There's lots more that you can do... Two big ones:

1. Do a google search for ADD sites, they have tons of tips.

2. Go to a head shrinker. They guy I went to didn't try to change me or anything like that. I'm still as weird as ever. He just gave me some tools that helped.

My shrink had ADD too, which helped us relate. He was still disorganized and a little scattered, but he gets his work done and he enjoys his job.

But what jobs are good for people with ADD?

People with ADD can succede in all fields. You just have to use your stengths and try to minimise your weaknesses.

In some ways it's a gift. I'm a lot more creative than most people. I am often able to solve problems that other people get stuck on because I am able to approach them from a different direction. I'm really good at getting the big picture and cutting through all of the details.

http://www.preventcancer.com/patients/med_avoid/ritalin.htm

If you think that medicinal drugs do not have a negative affect on your body, particularly the liver, then I suggest you do some reading. Yes western medicine can help, but it also comes with its side affects.

Did you by chance happen to see what type of webpage that is posted on by backing up on the url.. This place is even against mamagraphy and mamagrams..

This link carries zero weight whatsoever .

Did you by chance happen to see what type of webpage that is posted on by backing up on the url.. This place is even against mamagraphy and mamagrams..

The home site might be questionable Art, but the guy who wrote the article on that link is an MD from the university of illinois, so I would think his opinion carries some weight, and the study with the mice funded by the government mentioned in the article is quoted in other sources, so i presume its legit. But who knows....

Katie, I strongly believe that ADD is something you can get over, and I have seen the results.

You can't "get over it" but you can learn to deal with it. The things I listed before help... I used all of the non-drug tools and I have been successful, but I knew I was not living up to my potential and it was frustrating.

Ive seen kids that have been diagnosed with ADD that have moved on to a healthier diet, and become more active... blah blah blah... its not surprising that ADD has become so prominent in the last 10 years, and that ADD did not exist in medical terminology 50 years ago.

A good diet helps. Exercise helps. B vitamins help. Getting enough sleep helps a lot (I forgot to mention that before). Learning tools to deal with ADD helps...

They help you cope with ADD.

As for the kids you think 'outgrew' it, they tend to show different symptoms as they age but just seeing them in the street or at school doesn't tell the whole story...

I'm willing to bet a lot of them ended up in fields where ADD isn't an issue, even though they had the potential to achieve a lot more, because they couldn't focus, or didn't have the self confidence to aim higher.

Like Katie, most ADDers are hard on themselves. They see it as a personal failure. It's just a hurdle, a challenge. If you can get past it without drugs, great! You don't have to deal with any side effects and you save a lot of money.

If you are doing everything possible, and you still have problems, give the drugs a shot. Yes, there is always a down side to taking drugs, but for me the benefit that I have recieved is more than worth the risk.

ADD may be over diagnosed and over treated with drugs today, but...

When I was a kid (20 years ago). I had a lot of trouble in school. All of my reviews said the same thing... "Bright incredibly creative kid, terrible hand writing, does not pay attention, does not complete assignments, easily distracted, disorganized... significant discrepency between potential and performance.

If I was in elementary school today, they would have recognized my symptoms and helped me, rather than constantly tell me that I just need to work harder and start paying attention, like all I have to do is decide to pay attention.

HotCaliGirl

A few years ago there was a big debate that mamagrams are harmful, and that's why they now recommend it only for women over 40 and once every two years. The rays are very harmful and themselves can cause cancers, the pictures are not clear and a big percentage of cancers are undetected from them. There is a different type of imaging I can't think of the name right now that works much better. I guess my point is that it never hurts to read opinions from both sides of the fence.

I noticed on the same website it says "Winning the war on cancer means preventing cancer. Yet cancer is a multi-billion dollar business. Isn’t preventing cancer bad for business? It is for the pharmaceutical and mammography businesses." http://www.preventcancer.com/losing/ I think most doctors and people in general care about the health of others, but again it does not hurt to read opinions that differ. My aunt broke up with her fiance who was an oncologist because he said something along the lines of business was slow, he needed more cancer patients. This is a serious issue and it can be argued that not enough is being done to prevent and treat cancer.

So back to the OP, I don't blame her if she wants to take the longer route of behavior therapy instead of taking medication that has cancerous side-effects that is not publicized and you have to do some digging to find out about on various websites. We all know how pharmaceutical companies sell drugs not approved by the FDA in the US to third world countries, I wouldn't take thier word when it comes to my health without doing some of my own research too.

You really need to be discerning when it comes to information and that site's information is not backed up by other much more reputable ones. There are sites by 'scientists' who claim the earth is flat, too.

if she wants to take the longer route of behavior therapy

It's not 'a longer route'. For some people it helps somewhat but ADD cannot be cured and the practice guideline says therapy and meds work better than either alone.

instead of taking medication that has cancerous side-effects

Woah woah - there's no proof of that!! :eek:

that is not publicized and you have to do some digging to find out about on various websites.

You absolutely need to distrust any websites that are not backed by real science. One old guy and one old study don't cut the mustard.

I wouldn't take thier word when it comes to my health without doing some of my own research too.

The studies are done by hospitals, universities, and scientists in government research, not just 'the pharmaceutical companies'. You should get your information from reputable sources. That was not one.

Please don't be gullible when you do your research. You could come to harm or harm someone else by using or spreading bad information.

Again, trust the big names - if you want to know something medical, you will find good information from the nationally-known major medical institutions.

HotCaliGirl

Outcast, I was just trying to defend the OP's decision not to use medication. I agree that someone should never make a medical determination based on a single source or website, but I think you would agree that it doesn't hurt to read as MANY (not just once) source...

I think I brought it up because AC didn't even want to read it cuz he disagreed with some of their views since they deviate from mainstream views. When it comes to your health, the more information from more sources you get, the better. Keep in mind many of the "reliable" sources we get our medical advice from make a profit from it. Physicians don't even take serious anymore the New England Journal of Medicine which used to once be respected, because it's practically bought off by pharmaceutical companies who print their own studies with favorable results that make their products sound good, just what I heard from a doctor.

So again, if she found a study linking a particular medication to cancer, then I wouldn't want to take it either. There have been so many class action lawsuits for a lot of diffierent drugs, many dying from heart attacks or other bad side effects. When it comes to health, it's better to be safe than sorry...you can't risk making a mistake and even doctors work with the information their patients provide them with. My aunt has cancer and she's choosing the type of chemo not based on her primary physician's advice, but she saw other doctors, did her own research, consulted with other patients and made a collaborative decision different than what would otherwise have been prescribed, making a difference on the outcome of her prognosis. Yea it takes more time and effort...but people should empower themselves and know that they don't have to blindly follow anything just because "so and so told me to" or "everyone else is doing it."

The studies are done by hospitals, universities, and scientists in government research, not just 'the pharmaceutical companies'

Again, I don't want to come across negative. My point is to look at more than one source is all. Researchers at universities - where does their grant and paycheck come from these days? Pharmaceutical companies, who pay them to "research" their products. Who is the biggest lobby group who pays the most money to the gov? Pharmaceutical co. Who gives kickbacks to doctors? Pharm. co. Of course most of the people know what they're doing, I go to the doctor and follow his advice too, but I don't shun other opinions either just because it wasn't backed by Merk or the University of such and such... It could be that 3rd party who did their independent research and has no monetary gain in the outcome who might in some cases provide the best information.

I think I brought it up because AC didn't even want to read it cuz he disagreed with some of their views since they deviate from mainstream views.

Actually I went and read the article and also read a couple of other articles on that website before I posted my statements

http://www.quackwatch.org is an interesting webpage.. most quacks are published doctors.

In fact specifically check this out http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/harmquack.html

I was calling into question the link that was posted because I believe that that theories that the link talks about would worsen a person with ADD and not help them. I believe that Ritalin does help children. I'm not saying that it doesn't have side effects such as depression that the parents have to take into effect. I am also not saying the Ritalin isn't over prescribed.

CaliGirl.. For you to take the stance you have tells me that if your doctor told you that you need to get a mammogram that you would say NO.. That you believe it lines the pockets of the medical industry and is not a valid test..

I'll bet 1000-1 you get a mammogram.. because they detect cancer.. it saves lives and can save your life.

For the record.. I have lost 2 parents to lung cancer from cigarette smoking.. I understand how the medical world works.. I don't always agree with it but I will tell you that it is the best option we have out there.

Even though my Step Mom only last a little over 2 years after they found the cancer they found the cancer in the yearly routine scans/mammogram they did for her.

Without the detection she might have lived 6 months tops

HotCaliGirl

I'm sorry to hear how ur parents died...i'm learning a lot about lung cancer from Dana Reeve's death, like 60% die within the first year and 80% within 2 years and you're right that without the doctor ur step mom probably wouldn't have survivved as long as over 2 yrs like she did...and yes you are correct i've gotten mams...first one was at age 19 but afterwards I found out it was harmful but who knows who's right/wrong...

i do get mamograms and all the other treatments from my doctor even though i may have my doubts and it does scare me to think it could be harmful. Just wanting people to stay openminded by not shunning info not provided directly by their doctor or pharm. co. and not think their medical provider knows everything... looks like u did in fact read the article - my bad.

So again, if she found a study linking a particular medication to cancer, then I wouldn't want to take it either.

"A study" isn't good enough, I'm afraid. Studies can be done incorrectly. The time to start believing is if you find SEVERAL studies all done correctly, peer-reviewed, and verified. Nobody should believe a single study - scientists sure don't.

I agree you should refer to several sources but they need to be dependable sources.

Keep in mind many of the "reliable" sources we get our medical advice from make a profit from it. Researchers at universities - where does their grant and paycheck come from these days? Pharmaceutical companies, who pay them to "research" their products. Who is the biggest lobby group who pays the most money to the gov? Pharmaceutical co. Who gives kickbacks to doctors? Pharm. co.

I don't buy the 'medicine is full of conspiracies' theory. Are you saying that all the most famous medical institutions plus NIH plus all the medical associations are in cahoots? Not hardly.

And even if your scam theory were true, Ritalin has been around and used for fifty years - long before the conspiracy theorists would even suggest such conspiracies arose.

It could be that 3rd party who did their independent research and has no monetary gain in the outcome who might in some cases provide the best information

A guy who starts his own website in a .com domain is hardly someone who is expecting 'no monetary gain'. Those sites usually promote these people's own clinics or special line of 'herbal cures'. I think you'd be better served to turn your skepticism to those sorts.

I know you have seen prior threads of this complaint before, but it's really becoming a problem.

I have started this new job almost 5 months ago. Already, I am getting complaints that I make too many mistakes - stupid little mistakes, but mistakes enough that make everyone crazy! No matter how hard I concentrate, I always manage to screw something up. It feels out of my control, since I am an Admin Asst and my job is to maintain accurate files,etc,etc. Although never diagnosed, I suspect I have ADD or some form of a learning disablity. For my own personal reasons which I do not wish to discuss, i will not try the ADD drug, but I am willing to get some type of theraputic/behavioral help. My question is, what shall I do with my life in the meantime?

I have a bachelor's degree from a reputable university, yet I cannot take on simple tasks in the workplace. Obviously, I need a job and a career, but in the meantime, I keep getting complaints and sighs of my persistant mistakes. At this point, I can understand all my co-worker's digust with this, but what can I do as of now? This is already a new job and I'm getting married in a few months, so the idea of starting another new job is just too much stress now. But after the wedding, should I consider another career that is not in an office? No customer service jobs, since that is my worst. But what jobs are good for people with ADD?

Work with Kids. People with ADD are fantastic full of energy & kids do not judge.

You can't "get over it" but you can learn to deal with it. The things I listed before help... I used all of the non-drug tools and I have been successful, but I knew I was not living up to my potential and it was frustrating.

Like I said Horse, I saw two kids that are not strangers to me "get over" ADD simply by changing their diet and life style. The doctor (and no he's not a quack with a fake degree - he has a medical degree from a top uni, as well as studying chinese herbal medicine) that treated them, is a friend of mine and has seen the same results in other patients. Believe what you want Horse.

A guy who starts his own website in a .com domain is hardly someone who is expecting 'no monetary gain'. Those sites usually promote these people's own clinics or special line of 'herbal cures'. I think you'd be better served to turn your skepticism to those sorts.

I know this is off topic, but it seems none of you actually read the article. The tests on the mice were done by the National Toxicology Program, funded by the government. It wasnt' a study by the doctor that wrote the article. This is only one source quoting the results of that study, and there seems to be a sh*tload more evidence to suggest ritalin does more harm than good.

Here's some more, unless of course you will all dismiss them as "quack" work....

1.Breggin, Peter, "The Scapegoating of American Children", Wall Street Journal, 7th November 1989, p.1

2.Physicians Desk Reference (PDR)

3.Weiss, Gabrielle, et al, "Effect of Long-Term Treatment of Hyperactive Children with Methylphenidate", The Canadian Medical Association Journal, Vol.112, No.2, 25th January 1975, p.164

4.Kohn, Alfie, "Suffer The Restless Children", Atlantic Monthly, November 1989, p.98