got cheated at work

GuerreroAzteca

so the basic jist of the problem is that i was promised a raise by one of the BIGer companies in the us ***retail*** no names mentioned. I signed papers on it and everything back on nov.22nd and since the raise has not been honored. i have constantly insisted to management about it. the problem is management changed and now they say the paper is missing. any suggestions?

This is the sequence I would follow:

1) Figure out how much this job means to you, and how hard it would be to get an equivalent or better job. If this job is basically great in other ways, or if your personal circumstances or timeline make it advisable to stay in this job for now, you may decide not to rock the boat. Pursuing them to get them to perform on their promise MAY degrade your relationship with management.

2) Work with them...as you have been doing. This time, put it in writing so it will be more effective (and serve as a paper trail when/if you get to step 2). "As you know, on Nov 22 I was promised a raise of $X to start no later than Dec 1. I have relied on this promise and would like you to start paying me the raise immediately, including the amount due since Dec 1. I would like a response to this letter no later than Feb 22 (about 7-10 days out)." Etc. I have seen amazing results just by putting claims on paper, which somehow is much harder to ignore than all the spoken words. Give that until Feb 23 to take effect, and save your copy of the letter in the "Raise Claim" notebook you will be keeping from now on.

3) Go to law. After you have exhausted step 2, you may want to talk to an employment lawyer (free consultation) to see what the merits of your claim may be. Some states do have very strong labor laws and labor boards, although I'm not aware that pursuing promised raises gets much traction there (labor boards usually focus on nonpayment of wages, not paying for breaks, unpaid hours, etc.). Small claims, based on the oral contract idea, may be preferable to state labor enforcement. If you go the small claims route, be prepared to do plenty of research on employment and contract law, as well as the small claims process, so you can prepare a clear and convincing case.

4) Depending on results, either live with what you get or seek new employment. You may want to consider how you can enhance your education, skills, and experience to move yourself into the category of workers upon whom it is harder to pull this kind of stunt.

Good luck!

If management (and I take it you mean owners?) have changed, there may not be much you can do because of their new policies etc. I have a friend who works in retail and her company was bought out and they now have new owners. The promises that were made to her in the past disappeared because of new management. They also took away car allowances, vacation time and other perks.

I hate to be a downer here, but maybe you need to decide if it's best to stay or go, depending obviously on your years of service and senority with this retail company.

• Author
GuerreroAzteca

well i decided to report it to headquarters of the big electronics retail company and made a good convincing letter so hopefully that works out.

Unless you have a copy of this agreement, nothing you can do. Did you say they admitted to having a signed agreement, but they lost it? If so, you would have a case. This does not sound like a company you should dedicate yourself too, I suggest looking for another job.