I just saw this in a thread

But when I look in the paper there is nothing there
and wanted to say a few things.

The paper is ok but if that's all you're doing to find jobs, you're missing out on lots.

First of all, check out agencies that deal with people who work in your specialty. There are agencies for medical personnel, accountants, etc etc.

Secondly, USE THE INTERNET!!!!! Many many companies advertise their jobs ONLY on the Internet. Locate all the Internet job lists in your area and set aside some time every evening to check them. Don't only look at companies. Look at charitible organizations, educational instutions, service agencies, recreational organizations, etc. Develop a list of 'jobs' bookmarks that you check regularly.

Third, if there is a professional association for people like you (and yes, there are professional associations even for admin assistants), check out their websites.

Fourth, check out your local government office websites. State, federal, and municipal governments all advertise their jobs mostly on their websites.

Sign up for any automated job notice services you come across. For instance, my local newspaper has a job notice service - you enter keywords that you want to use and the notice service sends you all ads for jobs using those keywords.

There is a lot out there about the 'hidden job market' and how to 'network' your way into it which may work if you have enough connections but doesn't for anyone. So if you don't know people who can give you leads, use the above strategies to greatly increase your chances of finding jobs.

Don't just 'look in the paper' or 'pray'!!!!

Good post, Outcast. There are many other avenues to finding a job than the paper. That is so old school in the age of the information highway.

Here are my resources and forms of solicitaion for job search:

Sunday paper -loaded with ads

Internet:

www.careerbuilders.com

www.minnesotajobs.com

http://www.doer.state.mn.us/employment.htm

http://www.minjobs.com/

http://minnesota.jobs.com/

www.monster.com

http://www.workingmother.com/ I have used this to do individual search's for company webpages to look at their job listings.

I have spoken to all contacts I associate with at church, even my landlord, I have spoken to my family and friends..

I have contacted some temp placement agencies because they sometimes do permanant direct hiring for employers.,

outcast,

your post was informative. I have found because I live in a rural area that the internet doesn't always work for instance careerbuilders & monster.com never has jobs in my area.

I work in advertising as an advertising director. I also do graphic design, my main job but I have not a clue as to where to start.

I don't think they even have recruiters in this area.

• Author

Hotgurl

Google 'jobs in advertising' and 'advertising jobs' (you don't need the quotes). For 'advertising jobs', there are two associations within the first twenty results as well as many more job boards, etc.

Same for graphic design - Google Graphic Design Jobs and if you want to narrow it, add your city or state. You should have enough sites to keep you busy for days :)

Essentially, if you want a job as a cook, the Google 'jobs for cooks' and synonyms like 'cooks employment' 'restaurant employment' etc. Be specific. Don't just go to the big job boards; instead look for jobs in your field because there are lots of job boards geared to specific industries. There are boards for news and media jobs, acting jobs, etc etc etc.

I have used so many job search classes in my lifetime I have most of the knowledge and skills to do a job search the biggest problem is time then comes resources that have actual leads that are genuine.

My mother worked for a CAP agency, which is a form of govt work, and she worked with the jobs programs for teens, displaced workers, disabled persons.

I used the summer youth employement program during my Junior and Senior years in High School.

outcast,

your post was informative. I have found because I live in a rural area that the internet doesn't always work for instance careerbuilders & monster.com never has jobs in my area.

I work in advertising as an advertising director. I also do graphic design, my main job but I have not a clue as to where to start.

I don't think they even have recruiters in this area.

Well what I do also is just go through the phone book and online business listing sites. Many counties even rural ones will have such an online resource as well as chamber of commerceBBB, ect. I found that I was not aware of at least 75% of the very large companies in our county.

Regardless if they are hiring or not most will have a HR dept. or even online apps available from their website.

In other words don't just look for ads for jobs but go direct to the company HR depts.

a4a