No Job After College

Ms_Sweetness
:( I graduated May 2005 with a business degree and I am so irritated that I have having such a difficult time finding a good job. I have worked retail (something I'd said I would never do again after college) just to have steady income and it sucks. Everyone around me tells me that this is normal, but geez how long does it really take. How long did it take you guys to find jobs in your field after college?

get your mba... business degrees are a dime a dozen, no offence... its just ive seen my friends go through the same trouble u are and even when we were in college those people who didnt know what they wanted to do got business degrees. u need something mroe than that unfortunately.. i hope u find something you like and i wish u all the luck... mba might be something worth ur while though...

• Author
Ms_Sweetness

Well my acutal degree is in Marketing with a minor in Spanish. Does that make a difference?

Sometimes you need to go where the jobs are. Do you live near a big city or are you in a small town?

A college degree is not what it used to be; many people go on to get masters' just to become more competitive in the job market.

In the meantime, I'd start networking in earnest; call all your professors and respectfully ask them if they could refer you anywhere.

You may need to temporarily re-locate if you are truly serious about working in your field.

As well, you may need to start out on the bottom rung of some company before you actually get to do the kind of work you want to.

Send professionally-done resumes and letters of inquiry to companies you'd love to work for someday requesting an 'informational' interview -- this is a type of interview where you don't actually apply for a job but you learn more about the company and what they look for when hiring.

pearlsasinger

Ever tried temping? Both my parents landed permanent jobs that way. They started out as temps and then made themselves invaluable to their companies. They were hired permanently and promoted into higher positions.

Have you checked out nonprofits? You'd probably have to be willing to move to DC or another large city, but they have lots of positions for marketing managers, etc. You probably wouldn't make that much but you can't always be picky with your first job.

I was in yourshoes when I first graduated too. Four years of college and working as a deli girl! What?! I skimmed all the job web sites but acutally found my job in the local newspaper classifieds. A part time office assistant at a company---not full time like I wanted, and only a secretarial job---but the company sounded really cool and within 6 months of working there, they promoted me and made me full time.

I know how you feel I graduated in May also. I have a degree in EE and still haven't found anything. A few of my friends in other fields of engineering haven't found anything either. Just try to stay positive, don't give up. I also have friends who have just burned themselves out looking and have just given up.

• Author

Thanks Zelda, it feels somewhat better to know that I am not alone. I have applied to soooooo many companies and even a few temp agencies...nothing. So while I am looking and hoping, I at least have promotional jobs as sorta steady income.

I look at it this way. Businesses are in the business of making money. They are not in the business of giving chances. Sooner or later, they will need someone new so let’s hope they choose you.