Ok...I have just got to vent here or I am gonna lose my cool! My lazy ass coworker doesn't come into work until around noon every single day. On days we have deadlines...she still doesn't come in early. She says she can't get her butt out of bed. In the meantime...the poor receptionist & I have to handle the irrate & dissatisfied customers that she is neglecting by coming in so late. It's not our fault! But, we are the ones that have to make excuses and handle her affairs until she comes in. I want to say something to her but why should she care? My boss doesn't do anything about it. He is not stern and is pretty laid back. If you were in this situation...how would you handle it??

slubberdegullion

Tell he exactly what you have said here, and take a witness with you. The point is not to attack her personally; it's to generate understanding within her that her actions - tardiness - have consequences that reverberate through the entire organization.

No need to bring the boss in on this yet. But without significant improvement, you may have no choice.

There is one thing that is for cetain: and that is if you cannot get the boss to act, there is little you can do. Employees get to know the parameters that they can operate in. Some people always give near 100%. Others will milk the clock and pass the buck to the max.

No need to communicate with this woman. You have to think hard on what it takes to motivate the boss. It may take a little exageration on your part. Of course , if it is a somewhat bigger place and has a human relations department you can file a complaint or talk to someone. But, then the boss will be laying for you.

• Author

Thanks Slubbergullion. I have already tried to get my boss involved, but, he gets irritated by it...but won't do anything. I am just growing more and more resentful towards her everyday. But, I don't want to alienate her, cause I have to see her everyday.

Wow! I cannot believe how diametrically opposed my and slubberdeguillion`s replies are. So, it cannot hurt to talk directly to the employee but I am guessing it is an exercise in futility and will cause her to have a chip on her shoulder towards you. Not only that, any reprimend she may recieve she will hold you fully accountable for what she percieves as an injustice. People quickly become blind to their laziness.

• Author

Well, I just talked to her a few minutes ago. She doesn't care like I said. So, I will continue to be walked all over. I can't stand people who are that selfish to not see how their actions are affecting other people!! I am too damn considerate to allow that. I just don't understand her!

You may not understand her but I do. She does not have to listen to you because you have no power over her. Sorry, but that is the way she thinks. Just read what I told you. You think I am some dumba$$ that has no clue what I am saying???

• Author
You think I am some dumba$$ that has no clue what I am saying???

Why would I think that?

Quote luvtoto

Why would I think that?

Here`s why:

So, I will continue to be walked all over

It looks as if you gavew no consideration to what I suggested. You really have to consider what it is goiing to take to get the boss to act. A suggestion:

First talk to your boss and ask what his expectations are for this woman. Should she be on time? And so forth. So, get him to define his expectation of her.

Next tell him that you are seriously stressed on the job because she is not participating as expected. Get the receptionist to join you if you think you would make a good team in talking to the boss. Sometimes it is better to handle something on your own so the conversation does not get distracted.

And speaking of distractions, don`t let the boss try to make it seem you are the one with the problem. Always stay strictly focused on HER as the problem that is affecting your performance and creating stress.

Oh, and if by chance this employee is a sex pot that he is trying to bone then that is tough to have to deal with. But, since you made no mention of that I presume that is not a factor.

• Author

Neptune said: First talk to your boss and ask what his expectations are for this woman.

Been there, done that, on numerous occasions. After a customer chews me out about her tardiness...I tell him about it...or better yet...I have him talk to the customer. I am just tired of dealing with it. He just won't do anything.

Neptune Said: Next tell him that you are seriously stressed on the job because she is not participating as expected. Get the receptionist to join you if you think you would make a good team in talking to the boss. Sometimes it is better to handle something on your own so the conversation does not get distracted.

Every employee we have here has complained to him about her tardiness.

And speaking of distractions, don`t let the boss try to make it seem you are the one with the problem. Always stay strictly focused on HER as the problem that is affecting your performance and creating stress.

Like I said, every employee we have here has gone to him complaining. Trust me, he just doesn't want to rock the boat.

Oh, and if by chance this employee is a sex pot that he is trying to bone then that is tough to have to deal with. But, since you made no mention of that I presume that is not a factor.

Mmm, nope, not a sex pot.

My boss just doesn't like to confront his employees. No one has ever been repremanded...or fired for that matter. Well, maybe once in '93. Her tardiness affects everyone!! But, nothing will be done about it. It's extremely annoying! I just thought I'd at least tell her to her face how this effects everyone.

Poor management....that's the problem.

There is no doubt the problem is poor management. Does he have a boss over him? How many people are aware and affected on the job by her behavior? Does your company have a human relations department?

Is there any way to make life more difficult for this woman on the job? It may seem underhanded but sometimes you have to strike back hard to get a person`s attention. Any way to dump this back in your bosses lap? If no one gets fired then you got some room to move around.

In a way many people at work are dealing with co workers who are lazy. So, you can circumvent the boss, motivate him to act or create inconvienience for your coworker.

• Author

Does he have a boss over him? No

How many people are aware and affected on the job by her behavior? Everyone.

Does your company have a human relations department? nope

Is there any way to make life more difficult for this woman on the job? I thought bitching her out when she got to work was gonna help.

It may seem underhanded but sometimes you have to strike back hard to get a person`s attention. Any suggestions??

Any way to dump this back in your bosses lap? I tried to let him handle all the irate customers...but, nothing...

If no one gets fired then you got some room to move around. Exactly!!

In a way many people at work are dealing with co workers who are lazy. So, you can circumvent the boss, motivate him to act or create inconvienience for your coworker

I pick door number three! "Create inconveniences for your coworker"

If only I had a devious enough mind to know how to do that.

orangeterran

I have worked at many lousy jobs with lackluster employees. However, in the end realize that it is your own performance and individual reputation based on your personality and work ethic that matters most.

I used to stress considerably over what I found to be rude and inconsiderate actions/inactions by my coworkers. It really didn't help me in the long run to focus on them. Focus on yourself.

I know it is frustrating, especially if (like most organizations) groups of people have to work cohesively in order to accomplish goals. It becomes increasingly problematic when it seems to be the same person or persons are causing so much of the friction by not doing their jobs correctly. Often one can wonder why the company would even bother keeping a person who has no business being there.

I understand that it is disenheartening and unfair to compensate for the absence of quality work from certain individuals, but remember to just do your best and hold on. Though some people's standards are lower than your own, never drop down to theirs. Allow them to rise to yours. Just because your coworker's laziness is accepted it does not mean it is acceptable. Maintain your levels and keep your integrity. If the company cannot recognize your merit and value you can always choose to leave (but secure another job first before doing so).

I have been walked on more times than I care to admit, but now I realize that you can only be walked on if you let someone do it. Admittedly, I'm still learning how to take my own advice, but learn what your comfort levels are and learn to say no to things you are not comfortable with because you find them unfair, depreciating, immoral, etc.

You'll be all right! :D

I come into late at odd times too, I don't give a crap. I do my work exceedingly efficient. Some people are independent, while others are dependent. However, you should take this issue up to the coworker and boss.

Now you know why men are the masters of the workforce and women are the manipulators of the workforce. But if push comes to shove, our strength will crush the woman very fast.

Heil Male brotherhood!

• Author

When my coworker comes in late...it affects everyone. People end up staying late to meet deadlines. If you had lots of coworkers depending on you, would you still come in late, supermonk?!

Regarding deadlines - is it possible for you to leave at your appointed time and leave HER to finish the work? If she is going to show up late, she should have to stay late is my thought and finish all leftover work. Tell disgruntled customers to come back at 5 (when the rest of you are gone) so she has to deal with them by herself.

If you can't make her change her ways or get the boss to do it and you can't tolerate the situation, the only other solution is for you to look for another job.

• Author

Thanks everybody for your great advice. I can tolerate her. *sigh* It's just nice to be able to come on LS and vent and have you guys relate with my issue. That helped immensely!