Happy New Year-You're unemployed!

unemployed2006

I just want to know what anyone thinks of this because I think this is pretty rotten and am fuming. This is a long story unfortunately....

I am a law student who started out this past summer working for an attorney for free because I wanted experience more than anything in a firm. After I did this a couple months I realized my husband could not handle all the financial burden alone and I needed a paying job. (we have 3 kids to support). (Keep in mind I quit a paying job which I hated anyway to go work for this woman.) She told me if things worked out she would hire me permanent.

Once I realized how strapped for cash we were I looked around for a new job and got hired by another attorney on the spot. I felt bad for not asking her first if she wanted to start paying me but I in no way wanted her to feel obligated to me bc I figured she can always find another law student. Anyway when I told her I would have to leave, I got and needed a paying job, she went a bit nuts and practically begged me to stay offering me the same money as did the other atty, and also said I am offering you a future. I want you to stay here after you graduate. The promise of a future was the deciding factor and I told the other guy I was extremely sorry but I was going to stay with her because the prospect of a future after graduation was too much and I could not give that up.

Fast forward to yesterday (approx 2 months later). I have been sick a lot lately with kidney problems but I always managed to haul myself into work no matter what practically. Wednesday I was in the operating room having a kidney stone blasted and woke up the next day feeling like a pile of ****. Nevertheless as I had so many times before, sick, hauled myself into work. I notice a lot of junk like old books and computers that had been stored in my office were gone! Im like oh good they finally got rid of all this junk!

Next thing I know...my boss calls me in and informs me that she has decided (just this week mind you) that she does not want to have to go to court (she doesnt like it ) and needs a licensed attorney who can go to court for her (she has one other one working for her)and since I wont graduate till the end of 2006 I cant give her what she needs, and basically she cannot afford to pay me (I only work 20 hrs and believe me I dont make much) and this new attorney. The new atty will be starting on tuesday and is taking my office and I am outta there!

I was taken aback because I really couldnt believe this. Here this woman had me give up another job 2 months ago and promised me the world and then decides today is my last day. Keep in mind she tells me how much she likes me, how bad she feels, and how wonderful I am and if she can maybe figure out a way I can come back there at some point (Im thinking she must be nuts at this point) then she will have me back if she can afford it. (Unfortunately between her jaguar, her membership at the country club, her private nanny etc. lead me to believe she could afford to pay me the small amount I make a week).

I am really devastated and mad because I really liked and trusted this woman and I feel so damn stupid for trusting her when she could just turn around and stab me in the back like that. I said at the very least you could have given me some notice! She claims she just made this decision this week which I find hard to believe. She said she would give me 2 weeks pay (Which I really hope she doesnt screw me out of because we need it badly) and I dont know I just have never felt so hurt and betrayed by an employer before. How can you tell me how much you like me and how great I am and at the same moment toss me out like a piece of crap, when you know my situation and what I gave up to stay with you. I just feel like a big problem in this world is most people only care about themselves and it is unfortunate. I would never treat someone the way I was treated. Some New years this is gonna be!

That was just sh***Y, plain and simple.

I hope karma comes around to bite her in the arse.

Sorry to hear your New Year started out so crappy!

Sad. One positive - this is a good time of year to be looking for a new job. Maybe larger law firms would be a better bet?

I think it is a good thing you discovered her true character early on, not once you were working for her full time.

I would get back in touch with the other attorney who offered you a job previously. Just tell him that circumstances have altered and if there's still an employment opportunity at his firm you'd be delighted if they'd consider you. All he can say is no.

To survive in the profession you're going into, you need to learn the art of nonchalantly shrugging some really s***ty stuff off. What this woman did was crap, but don't start badmouthing her to anyone in the profession; even if she's got a bad reputation already, it won't serve you well to add to it. I'm sure you already know that.

It's just that sort of business. You also have combine the ability to be charming and sociable with your colleagues, and give the impression of trusting them whilst carefully watching your back around them 24/7. The legal profession isn't a totally innocent party in the bad press that it gets.

Here is one thing I learned from my years in corporate america....don't put your faith in other people when it comes to business, business is business and they will screw you over if that's what it takes to make the business work better.

Always have a backup plan and always keep your resume ready to go because things can change really quickly when it comes to work.

Here is one thing I learned from my years in corporate america....don't put your faith in other people when it comes to business, business is business and they will screw you over if that's what it takes to make the business work better.

This is absolutely the truth. Never believe promises you're given unless you have them on paper with signatures. This is a message you need to give your clients, too.

She must have some acquaintances or associates in the field. Ask her if she can ask around among them to help you find another position.

• Like 1
She must have some acquaintances or associates in the field. Ask her if she can ask around among them to help you find another position.

That is definitely worth doing. Lots of people in business are ruthless and even, at times, a bit nasty. Few are out and out psychopaths however - so when someone screws you over, the chances are that they're feeling guilty about it on some level. Encouraging a person's guilt often encourages them to start feeling resentful towards you - people being the defence-mechanism riddled beings that they are. That rarely serves you well.

Taking the screwing over with cool dignity and making a pleasant, professional request for assistance, definitely sounds like the best way to go. After all, eventually you're going to be this woman's peer in the legal profession...and if you offer her the opportunity to avoid making an enemy of you, she'll probably take it (though it goes without saying that you don't word it in those terms!)

Maybe I'm being very naive, or I've missed something, but keep in mind that this woman is running a business. If she can't afford to pay you as well as the new lawyer she will keep whoever brings more to the business. Maybe all the praising she gave you when she sacked you was insincere, or maybe she really meant it, but bottom line is its a business.

• Like 1

Quote Bogun

but bottom line is its a business

The bottom line is it`s a business but a business license says no where on it that you treat people like sh*t

The best businesses and the best business people reward people for their patronage and employment. That is done by having a clear business strategy that doesn`t shift like the wind.

This woman is a sorry excuse of a business person.:mad:

• Like 1

I'm not supporting what the woman did, I would love it if employers were more sensitive, but thats not the way of the world. More often than not, the more successful a company is, the more they will view you as a replaceable cog in the machine.

This woman is a sorry excuse of a business person.:mad:

I sounds to me that only part of the story is being told here..

She has already said that she has been out for kidney issues.. Well how much time off could've swayed the womans vote from yay to nay

If she was off lets say 2 weeks then as a responsible business person should do she found an alternative person to help her.

Bill gates runs a company that employees are not well thought of..

So is Walmart....

The bottom line is what drives a company..

Unemployed2006

I am the OP and I just wanted to say to the person above about my kidney issues. I was not out for 2 weeks. I was out for one day this week and I was in the hospital 2 days in November. I got out of my hospital bed and the next day returned to work, probably when I should not have but that is the kind of worker I am. This is and never was about my attendance but it is about someone who has no idea how to run a business, and who sits everyday and waits for the mail to come to see if any checks arrive and literally obsesses over money on a constant basis. If you saw this person's lifestyle you would wonder how it is even possible but then again, with all her expenses I guess it makes sense in some respect.

I have since the other day gotten over it all..why? because New Years Eve morning I had an interview with another firm and was hired on the spot and start my new job tomorrow. I am not one to go about praising myself but the bottom line is, I am very educated and skilled. I guess I was so depressed because when you are a law student, it is hard to find employment because the reality of it is, when you are licensed the firm knows unless they want to hire you as an attorney you are out the door. My new boss talked about possibly adding another attorney (just as my last one did) after I graduate but I was quick to tell him with all due respect, I dont want any promises made to me and if it happens then so be it, if not I will look elsewhere when the time comes.

Thank you everyone for giving me your feedback I do really appreciate it.

circumstances have altered and if there's still an employment opportunity at his firm you'd be delighted if they'd consider you.

Great wording! Sure to convince him that you are employee material!

The bottom line is what drives a company.

Sad, but true.

I do think, though, there are companies out there that make it a point to take care of their employees, and some companies are better at it than others - Southwest Airlines comes to mind.

I guess how employees are treated depends on the business model companies choose to adopt. You can take the Wal-Mart and McDonald's business model and focus strictly on volume of business and cost-cutting, and that has proven successful in both their cases. Not to diminish the work that these people do, but it doesn't take extraordinary skill to do what the average employee does; therefore, their labor is a dime a dozen. If someone doesn't like their job, they just go out and find someone else who does - often a high school kid who needs money for the weekends or a college kid who just needs extra money for beer.

When I ran a small business a few years ago, I couldn't afford to just get wacky and toss someone out the window on a whim - I would have been up to my *ss in work and never would have seen daylight otherwise. That would not have kept me from terminating someone had there been cause to do so, but it goes to show that not all employers or situations can behave in the same manner.

I would imagine that where skill is involved, such as in the legal profession, you can't get away with being a s*** employer for too long. My cousin was a good attorney but his legendary temper also chased off a lot of promising young prospects. He managed to build a good firm but could have done a good bit better had he managed to keep himself in check.

It would appear to me in this case that this person in question is not the most organized business operator. At least she gave a severance though.