Taking a Pay Cut??

6 months ago I left a job I love to live in a city I love instead. Because I moved without a job, I took the first position offered to me through a temp agency. The only thing I enjoy about my boring office position is that it pays great. The company I currently work for is of no interest to me and I am surrounded by micromanagers. It is a struggle to come to work everyday.

This morning I was offered with a company that I thought I could only dream of working for. It is what I have dreamed of since graduating college 3 years ago, and is exactly what I want to do. The issue is that I would initally be taking a 12% decrease in pay, a substantial amount considering the student loan and credit card debt I have accrued over the past several years.

It may sound like a no-brainer, because I know I would be soooo much happier in this new position, but I would be working more hours for less pay.

Has anyone else ever been in this situation? What did you do and how did it turn out? Is it true that taking a step back could lead to two steps forward?

Is it true that taking a step back could lead to two steps forward?

It for sure can happen. I took a temp job that was paid a lot less than I'd been paid in a long time and where I was told there was no chance of me being taken on for a permanent job. They hired me for a permanent job and in three years essentially doubled my initial wage.

I vote take the better job. You will be happier overall and enjoy life more.

Think about it -- is a few extra thousand per year worth the drudgery of going to a job you hate every day?

Take the job that offers you growth and more excitement. You'll probably flourish and do so well, they give you several raises over the next few years anyway.

Doing something you hate day in and day out is bad for your health and mental outlook.

ya!!!!!!! i think u must resign the work as every mankind must growth with happiness but not on sadness.because human being in the earth can't living with long times so u must treasure and cherish everyday as a diamond. if u faced any problem,

MWC_LifeBeginsAt40

I was job sharing 2 days a week and driving an hour to work. I took a pay cut of 25% to work 3 days a week and a ten minute drive. My take home pay was the same, with the extra day, and no driving. It was nice.

After six years I am making at least 25% more per hour than that last job and working full time. It helps that the company also grew 300%...but also my job is what I make of it and I am doing what I love.

The old job was, I thought, my dream job. It was my career path, was a government job, lots of vacation time, great benefits, but I know I made the right choice.

Good luck!