I've got a phone interview today for a job that I don't really want. But, since it's my first interview, I'm not yet in the position to be picky. Any tips for sounding excited about it? Or any good general phone interview tips?

slubberdegullion

Phone Interview

Do

• Smile when you talk;
  • Speak slowly, clearly and to the point;
  • Remember, anything you say may be held against you, so keep the small talk to a minimum;
  • Use interviewer's name occasionally;
  • Be polite;
  • Be truthful;
  • Get your documentation in order, in front of you, so you won't have to shuffle through papers while the interviewer is waiting;
  • Take notes;
  • Remember that this is a pre-screening call.

Don't

• Tell them how drunk you were last night, even if you have a hangover that would kill a horse;
  • Say anything like, "You sound very sexy. What are you wearing?";
  • Multi-task, like read LS posts during the interview;
  • Drink or smoke;
  • Burp;
  • Say anything like, "Excuse me, but I have to go masturbate now";
  • Forget to ask the interviewer questions when he/she gives you the opportunity (a good one is, "Tell me a little about your corporate culture");
  • Talk too much.

There's plenty more here.

Good luck!

• Author
Phone Interview

Do's

• Smile when you talk;
  • Speak slowly, clearly and to the point;
  • Remember, anything you say may be held against you, so keep the small talk to a minimum;
  • Use interviewer's name occasionally;
  • Be polite;
  • Be truthful;
  • Get your documentation in order, in front of you, so you won't have to shuffle through papers while the interviewer is waiting;
  • Take notes;
  • Remember that this is a pre-screening call.

Don't

• Tell them how drunk you were last night, even if you have a hangover that would kill a horse;
  • Say anything like, "You sound very sexy. What are you wearing?";
  • Multi-task, like read LS posts during the interview;
  • Drink or smoke;
  • Burp;
  • Say anything like, "Excuse me, but I have to go masturbate now";
  • Forget to ask the interviewer questions when he/she gives you the opportunity (a good one is, "Tell me a little about your corporate culture");
  • Talk too much.

Good luck!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Thanks guys! You did ruin some of the lines I was thinking of sharing though!:lmao: :lmao:

I didn't even think of having my documentation in front of me. See, I knew I came here for a reason!:)

Say anything like, "Excuse me, but I have to go masturbate now";

This sounds like a great episode of Punk'd. Alan Funt RIP

• Author

It was rather short. Actually, they called early and we were done by the time they were suppossed to call. Hmmm... I started the interview off by dropping the phone. Oh well...

Thanks for the advice!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Author

So, when they hung up, I was positive their first action would be to cross my name off the list. Apparently not. They want me to come up for an on-campus interview. I'm of course going to go since I still don't have any other offers, but I kinda feel bad since I don't actually want the job, and they will probably only get to bring up 3 or 4 people to interview. Who knows, I could fall in love with the place and never want to leave.

• Author

Thanks guys! I'll be sure to check out that website as well. I don't fly up until the end of January, so I've got plenty of time to prepare.