The worst day at work!

What a day I had yesterday... I have been working at my job for a little over a year. I work at a dail up internet provider... In which, DSL is taking alot of our customers... Now I work the night shift on most days and I have no benefits at all... Nowadays everyone is getting benefits...

So, I decided to come out and ask for a raise yesterday... Then my boss says "I can't right now we are losing money"... The they said "If you need to start looking for another job that is fine"... :( I was so upset about that... It wasn't a big deal that I didn't get a raise but the fact was about looking for another job was the huge hit...

I love my job, I love the people I work with but It looks like I will never be able to move up here... So, I decided to stick this out until I find something better...

So, do you think that after a year I should have been intitled to some kind of raise or something??? Or am I asking for too much???

So, do you think that after a year I should have been intitled to some kind of raise or something??? Or am I asking for too much???

Well.. raises are generally tied to your performance, but in this case they are having bottom line problems.

Companies do put a freeze on raises if they are having a tough time..

I don't think you were asking for too much but when your boss told you that they aren't doing raises right now and if you continue to think a raise is entitlement then you have no choice but to find work elsewhere.

Ditto what A_C said. You should look for a new job anyway. The trend at your company isn't anything that's going to go away. It won't be long before dial-up ISP's are completely obsolete. It's pretty much inevitable that your company will eventually go bankrupt.

• Author

The company also does web hosting and websites for major stores and stuff... but my job is to be a customer service representative to the Dail in customers... So sooner or later there will be none left...

When I applied for the job it did say that I was suppose to make $10 an hour. then they decided to cut that back to $9 before I even started... They told me that at the interview. So, I do still think I am entitled to a raise... I don't even have any benefits...

I guess I have to start job hunting soon... I hate that!