Any career changers out there? I'm finishing up my program at school and don't know how to go about changing careers from corporate america to work in Conservation Biology. I don't know how things really work in the non-profit world, what to do about a resume, and finding another job. Anyone been here before or have any helpful resources?

I'll be going to my school's career services center next Thursday but I'm sure that they're geared more towards undergrad students and don't think they'll be all that helpful.

Universities tend to lead rather than follow the cutting edge on such things.

surely you jest, OUTKAST....universities and other institutions of higher learning have been dropping the ball for decades. They can't (or don't want to) train enough students in high-demand careers like engineering, sciences, mathematics, computers, etc.....

universities tend to lead, what a joke! they just want student's money and then turn out unprepared cookie-cutter grads.

Alp, I'm talking about how savvy and helpful they can be to people who go for career counselling.

Unfortunately, people tend to go for career counselling after they've got the degree rather than before.

I wish I were OutKast. I could use their bucks.

• Author

Ok, I'm going to try this again. Has anyone changed careers or watched someone go through the process of changing careers? Any tips or advice on career changes?

I'm thinking of becoming a stripper.. is that what you mean ? :lmao: 13

roflmao!!:lmao: Sounds like a good profession swinging on a pole and stripping for every man making good money where can i sign up j/k !!! lol:lmao: :o

Ok, I'm going to try this again. Has anyone changed careers or watched someone go through the process of changing careers? Any tips or advice on career changes?

sorry for the tirade JS17... this is a big change going from the corp world to consveration bio (whatever that is?!).... i cannot help you on this but you should try to find people that have made a drastic career change (like going from a lawyer to social wkr) and ask them what it was like. Chances are its gonna be hard but i'm sure you'll do OK.

I'm thinking of becoming a stripper.. is that what you mean ? 13

dammit A_C!! cannot you be serious for just once in your frikkin' life? :lmao:

Yes. Figure out what the hell you want by going through the tests. I have changed careers a few times and it took a while to figure out what I really wanted. Had I done all the tests which are now offered, it would have been a shortcut to figuring out what to do. So my tip is go to the counsellors and do their tests and/or follow the site I gave you or something similar. It takes a fair bit of work but it is eminently worth it. I also believe I gave you the link to Barbara Sher's Wishcraft.

• Author

What tests? Like the Myers Briggs type tests? I did those in high school, yes that was a long time ago, and it didn't help me out at all. I don't really want to choose my career based on what a piece of paper tells me either. That's how I ended up in Corporate America to begin with.

Conservation Biology ...via Wiki definition

Conservation biology is the study and preservation of habitat for the purpose of conserving biodiversity.

The term "conservation biology" refers to the science and sometimes is used to encompass also the application of this science. In simple terms, conservation biology is scientific study of the phenomena that affect the maintenance, loss, and restoration of biological diversity.

Philosophically, the concern of this branch of biology is generally to help save the diversity of life on Earth through applied conservation research. In the realm of research, biologists seek creative and effective ways to address a wide diversity of ecological problems, ranging from endangered species to regional conservation planning. This translates to developing better conservation tools, analyses, and techniques

Lots of saving endangered species through reproduction and conservation of global resources. :)

things in the NP world really suck right now.

(being honest sorry)

There is a huge turnover rate in my NP field. Money is to be made if you are willing to bend a bit.

Do not get discouraged and probably one of the best things you can do if you are able is to just spend some time as a volunteer and assist in the field that you are interested in. It also is a matter of who you know in the NPO field.

I am not sure exactly what end of bio conservation you are looking at but it helps to know the admin work as well as the field work when doing anything in NP. You may find that you have to cover several bases at once to make yourself attractive and to make a decent living in NPOs.

a4a -based on my humble experience.

Lots of saving endangered species through reproduction and conservation of global resources. :)

so would like Pam Anderson be classified as an endangered speices? I could possible help with the reproduction part and conservation of her "global" resouces :laugh:

• Author

Unfortunately I have no experience in the NP world and I really don't know where to start. Places here don't need volunteers because everyone in this city volunteers for something and they don't really respond to applications. My program is run by 4 NP groups and my university so I was hoping to get an in that way.

Can I ask what you mean by "knowing the admin work" and "covering several bases"? :confused:

Thanks a4a :)

What tests? Like the Myers Briggs type tests? I did those in high school, yes that was a long time ago, and it didn't help me out

How's about not dismissing things before you even try them or look at them? No, not M-B. There are a lot better instruments now, as well as books like Sher's that help people figure out what their passions are and do the research needed to see if the career is a good fit.

It takes work. It's not an insta-solution and a few paragraphs on a forum won't get you where you want to be.

• Author
How's about not dismissing things before you even try them or look at them? No, not M-B. There are a lot better instruments now, as well as books like Sher's that help people figure out what their passions are and do the research needed to see if the career is a good fit.

It takes work. It's not an insta-solution and a few paragraphs on a forum won't get you where you want to be.

I did that two and a half years ago when I knew I couldn't take it at my job anymore. That's what led me to pursue this new direction. I spent a little over a year figuring out what I was passionate about and how I could turn that into a career. That's when I went back to school and now I'm finishing. It's time for the next phase, experiencing. I will take a look at the Wishcraft site though.
  • Author
... a few paragraphs on a forum won't get you where you want to be.
Isn't part of the whole process finding people who have had these experiences and talking to them? There's nobody in my life that isn't a professional in corporate america so I'm finding other avenues.

The NPO I work in you have to have knowledge of laws, budgeting, medical skils, and behavior.

There is no possible way to be an expert in all fields but is it expected for you to have expert knowledge in at least 1-2 of these things to actually be taken serious. The more expertise you have under your belt to take to the initial table the sooner you will find employment. You have to really be a take charge kind of person in a NPO..... IMHO. Also quite a bit of ass kissing involved...Major question of most NPOs is do we want a person with field or admin exp. Most think admin can be learned...... (recent discussion at a conference we had)

NPOs can pay as much as the corp. world depending on your exp. and your contacts. There is quite a bit of trading of NP heads.... most do not stay at the same place for more than a handful of years.

Depending on the exact field you are looking at I would go to the NPO employment listings online and start looking at possible salaries, locations, and what is required for entry level in your field.

You may have to settle for a position less to your liking to get your feet wet.

Also be sure to check out the Orgs. financial records.....

some are available on guidestar on the net and they are public record if a reg NPO. Make sure that they are stable and will not be cutting budgets at any time soon.

a4a- replied to you quickly/and scantly as there is a chicken in my house.........****!

Isn't part of the whole process finding people who have had these experiences and talking to them? There's nobody in my life that isn't a professional in corporate america so I'm finding other avenues.

I belong to several orgs for NPO employees and leaders..... simple google search will give you those orgs in your area....... a good place to start is there to meet NPO people. In other words there is a behind the scenes system to NPOs..... it is quite large and not unlike corp. America.

NPOs are a business..... and non profit does not mean you do not make a profit ;)

a4a

From what I found, the first few weeks or maybe months are the hard ones, where you might continually question your decision and wonder if you are in the wrong area. My advice then is to stick it out for at least a year and get the experience you are looking for before you start considering any doubts that you have.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Author

Alright so I've been home all day trying to write a career change resume and job hunt. I'm well versed in what to put on a resume if you have experienced but I'm just clueless as to what to do with a career change resume. I haven't found any good sources on the net and at my age I don't have any contemporaries that have gone through a career change. Now I have the education but no experience. Anyone have any advice or any net resources that would help me out? I'm lost :(