Confused Please help!!

This is my first post in LS. Well, I am confused. Tomorrow will be my last day from my temp job in one of the big financial companies. I tried to apply there for a permanent position, but the HR told me that I cannot apply until my assignment will end, and I know that my boss sent my resume to the HR because she liked the fact that I worked hard, and very detail oriented. Anyways, after one month of talking to the HR I totally forgot about working there. So, I applied for different positions else where, and guess what I got a job offer in a different industry: Health Care that maximize my education, and background. I graduated last year with a business and IT major. I will start the new job next Monday. But guess what, today HR called me and she said that she heard that I accepted a job offer, and she wants me to come tomorrow for an interview with the team leader for an entry level position in one of the big departments. I liked my company because it is easier commute and most importantly they do contribute more money for tuition reimbursement. I do want to go for my graduate school. What should I do? Should I just take the entry level for the tuition reimbursement, or just go with the job offer in health care that pays more and matches more my background? Also, does anyone switched from working in Financial services to health care? What’s better? Please advise. I will appreciate your advice.

What a great problem to have. But it is a problem. You can do the pros and cons list for each position and weight the factors that mean the most to you like tuition, atmosphere, future potential, money, commute time, etc., and see if that helps. We'll always need health care, and I know lots of people who've had to change jobs due to downsizing in business and IT but not health care. But I'm not a business type, so take that for what it's worth.

Best wishes!

curiousnycgirl

Very interesting dilemma. There are several questions you have to ask yourself - why did you choose your course of study? do you still enjoy doing that work? why do you feel it is more closely aligned with healthcare - you said business and technology didn't you?

I've been in both industries (in technology) and frankly it takes two very different types of folks. I was NOT cut out for healthcare - but that doesn't mean it is bad.

My personal feeling is that the financial industry is a very tough environment at the moment, and probably will continue to be so for a while. Benefits are getting slashed, so you really need to make sure you understand the tuition reimbursement policy, and recognize it may change so that cannot be THE deciding factor.

Although the healthcare position is offering more $'s at this point, there is no doubt that in the long run there are better financial opportunities for a non MD outside healthcare.

If your focus is purely technology - then again the financial industry is the way to go. In order to remain competitive they are constantly investing in technology. Healthcare is far less focused on new technology, unless it is a new diagnostic or treatment tool.

Other factors you should consider are which interview left you with a better feeling? Where do you think you will fit in best, etc.

I know it's a hard decision - but hey it certainly beats the alternative!

• Author

Thank you very much Becoming and curiousnycgirl for your replies, I appreciate it. I went to the interview in my company but I did not like the position. I will be working in the corporate finance departement in the hospital, and will see how the industry change will be just wish me luck.;)