I recently quit my job because the attorney I worked for was an ass!!! I started looking for a job immediately and what do you know? I was offered approximately 8 jobs out the bunch of interviews I went through. I am in a tough situation because I do not know which one to pick. I brought the list down to 3 but it's soooooo hard!!!!

Job #1: It's about 2 miles away from my house in the heart of downtown. It's a mid size firm and I would work for the main attorney. I would get paid okay money but it has GREAT benefits. The attorney is an older man and I am afraid that he migh t retire and I will be left w/out a job. He seems real nice and I will definitely do all the things I am used to from my past employment's. (I do not want to lose my skills)

Job #2: It's located in a prestigious part of Southern California. To work there will definitely look magnificent on my resume. It's a small firm with a few real young attorneys (26-28). I would work for 2 of the attorneys. They pay real well the only thing is that it's in cash:confused: and they do not offer benefits. PLus, I do not know if I should see it as good or bad that they pay cash. I would not get any money deducted for taxes and I can apply for certain student loans but I do not know if I can get in trouble. The attorneys were supportive of my student status. The atmosphere was GREAT!!!! I cannot express that enough. Everyone was so great with me and they really, really want me to work there. They made feel real good about myself.

Job #3: This firm is mid size and they are the one's that will pay me the most. The people seem nice. I would be the only young one there. They would pay me about $500 more than Job #2 that's with the paycheck reductions for taxes, etc. No benefits. Near the beach. The only thing that really sucks is that I would only do basic secretarial work. I am used to doing lots of things and I love it. Here everyone has certain things assigned and that's that! The money is great but I want to keep doing everything I was doing because I know it's beneficial for me and it will look great on my resume once I am out of school. Plus, I don;t like to just sit around. Again, the money is great.

What do you think? Which one would you go for?

slubberdegullion

If I were in your pumps, I'd take #3. The downside you mention - about it being only basic secretarial work - may not be a downside after all. It sounds like it may start like that, but I'm sure with your skills you'll find room to grow within the organization.

Besides, the money's better.

Good luck!

well, it really depends what is important to you as job satisfaction - money or doing something that you like (not what your are good at, but what you enjoy)

In job 3 would you be bored $ithle$$ after a few weeks and wouldn't want to turn up after a few month because you feel like you are not gaining anything or feel unappreciated. Is there spece for change/growth? sounds like for a mid size company might be.

Also are you considering these jobs for short, mid or long term. Depending of where you see yourself in 3-5 years, better money now is not alway the solution. maybe have a think about that.

I can only also sugget have a hard think which one you would whole heartly enjoy doing ...that's what I'd take.

Also if you had so many job offers in such a short time, it will happen again if/when you decide to leave again... so just take the one that feels right ;) easy to say, I know ...

I would choose curtain Number 1.

Close to home so no moving involved.............great benifits........you look young but if got sick, etc.......they would come in handy.

Your downside, that he is older and may retire.........well, the old buzzard may stay on for another decade, you never know.

Its the least complicated choice..............there, I have done my good deed of the day....ha.

I am with reddog on this.

#2 is a HUGE flag on the cash deal. In a deal like this you have no unemplloyment compensation, no health benefits, no retirement, etc. They ought to know better. But in this situation, they cannot legally dictate your hours or duties.

#3 I agree you will be bored working there if you already assume you will be. And the $500 (not sure if that is a week, month, yesr or what) probably won't go a long way to paying benefits. They are expensive.

When most attorneys retire, don't they usually sell their practice to someone? If you prove your worth, I am sure you will go with the deal. At least if you show your worth now, you can bring it up to him and say--hey what happens to me when you retire?

I go with #1 too. Benefits are nothing to sneeze at and the guy will have plenty of connections - if he likes you and does retire, I'm sure he'll help you find another position or maybe you can work for someone else in the firm. I've gotten big salaries for boring jobs and the money just couldn't make up for the frustration/boredom.

I'd go with Job #1 as well. Sometimes having great benefits means more than the extra cash. Actually, that's why I'm at my current job.

As for the retirement issue, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I work in a law firm and 2 of the attorneys are over 70. Some of these guys never retire. Plus, even if he does retire soon, he has to hand his files over to someone and maybe you can go too!

Definitely Job #1. That's your safest choice.

I would go with job # 1

Unless, do you not need benefits? If you're single, then you def. need them! What if god forbid something happens and you're not covered?

It's great to have offers, but it is a tough decision no matter what you pick. Because you never know how it may go. If only there was a great psychic out there who could help us!

What do you do exactly? Do you enjoy it? It seems like working as a legal asst is a pretty good & steady job! Maybe I should try it!!!

• Author

I have benefits through my "H" and they are real great. I actually made my decision for job #2, I hope I made the right decision:confused: