Job Interview and requested paperwork

HokeyReligions

I got a call to interview for a position. It's through an agency but the company requests that I complete one of their applications too. No big deal - I've done that before.

But, they have also asked me to sign the following form before I interview -- even though it states that it's voluntary and not mandatory.

I've seen similar things, but nothing worded like this. I don't like it. I don't have anything to hide, but it's just an INTERVIEW for crying out loud!!

Look at this:

Consumer Report / Investigative Consumer Report

Disclosure and Release of Information Authorization

I authorize [company name removed] and a third party consumer-reporting agency, to retrieve information from all personnel, educational institutions, government agencies, companies, corporations, credit reporting agencies, law enforcement agencies at the federal, state or county level, relating to my past activities, to supply any and all information concerning my background. The information received may include, but is not limited to, academic, residential, achievement, job performance, attendance, litigation, personal history, credit reports, driving records, earnings records (copy of W-2 and/or pay stub) and criminal history records. I understand that this information may be transmitted electronically and authorize such transmission.

If currently employed: My current employer may be contacted. _____Yes _____ No _____ N/A

I understand that a Consumer Report or Investigative Consumer Report (“Consumer Report”) may be prepared summarizing this information. If my prior employers and/or references are contacted, the report may include information obtained through personal interviews regarding my character, general reputation, personal characteristics and/or mode of living. I may request a copy of any report that is prepared regarding me and may also request the nature and substance of all information about me contained in the files of the consumer-reporting agency. I understand that I have the right to inspect those files with reasonable notice during regular business hours and that I may be accompanied by one other person. The consumer-reporting agency is required to provide someone to explain the contents of my file. I understand that proper identification will be required and that I should direct my request to: [company information removed] Upon timely written request to the Human Resources Department, [company name removed] will, within five days of the receipt of a written request, disclose the nature and scope of the information sought in the investigative consumer report.

Before any adverse action (what 'adverse' action? Not hiring me?!) is taken in whole or in part as a result of information contained in a consumer report and/or investigative consumer report, you will be provided a copy of the report and a summary of your rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. The information obtained from the report will not be used in violation of federal or state equal opportunity or civil rights laws.

If you are applying for employment in the States of California, Minnesota or Oklahoma please note that a new Disclosure and Release of Information Authorization is required for any subsequent Consumer Report/Investigative Consumer Report.

Are you applying for employment in California, Minnesota or Oklahoma? ____ Yes ____ No

If so, would you like a copy of any Consumer Report prepared on you? ____ Yes ____ No

I hereby certify that all the statements and answers set forth on the application form and/or my resume are true and complete to the best of my knowledge, and I understand that if subsequent to employment any such statements and/or answers are found false or that information has been omitted, such false statements or omissions will be just cause for the termination of my employment. Further, I understand that by requesting this information, no promise of employment is being made. I am willing that a photocopy of this authorization be accepted with the same authority as the original; and that if employed by the company (except if employed in the State of California), this authorization will remain in effect throughout such employment.

Signature Social Security Number Date

Note: The following information is provided voluntarily and IS NOT considered as part of your application. It is used only for identification purposes in verifying information on your Employment Application. Please print clearly.

I don't know, this just doesn't sit well with me. I've been finger-printed and a criminal background check done when I worked at the bank, and of course I've had references checked and employment and academic records verified - but Mode Of Living? Almost every place runs a credit check nowadays and I've never been thrilled about that but I understand it. My credit is not top-notch anymore because of all the hospital bills I've had over the last few years but that won't be a problem. But 'adverse action' WTF? It's an engineering company! They put pipes on ocean floors! They don't need to know if I have any pending litigation (I do & its none of their business!) They can verify my address easily enough without my consent and that should tell them my 'mode of living'.

I'll go on the interview but I'm not signing this. I'll give them my own permission to verify references and job/academic records and run a criminal background check but this just doesn't taste right to me. Anyone else encountered this recently?

If you accept the job, you will have to sign it. I hate this stuff too, but a lot more companies are requiring the information- mostly financial institutions. An engineering company probably requires it because they have government contracts and the government requires it (or maybe contracts with financial institutions).

I can understand why they would want to know if you have a criminal record/pending litigation, but it's ridiculous to ask about civil matters. I have had to do the same thing recently and even though I don't have anything pending- it really bothered me. I guess they want to know if you are sue-a- holic or something.

I do agree that it's an invasion of privacy, but our current administration has done their best to limit our privacy.

Good luck on the inverview.

• Author
HokeyReligions

This has nothing to do with our current administration. I've done background checks on others and I sign waivers when I'm hired. They want this signed when I come in for the interview. This is a bit beyond the standard "we want to investigate you" forms I've signed before.

I've been investigated before -- I had to be at the bank because I involved in some very confidential matters and had some signature authority and the SEC had to clear me.

If the position is good and I like the people and the job AND if I'm offered the position I'll consider signing it then of course. But to give it to me and say "sign this and bring it to the interview" seems overkill at this step.

Well, at least I'm getting interviews now (this is the third call I've had in the past week) and it never fails---when I'm working a job that is very demanding and difficult to get away from (working 45 - 50 hours a week) I get more responses!

Maybe old Hokey will get a permanent job with benefits yet!

I've never heard of having to sign something like this before the interview either. I agree with you- don't sign it unless you decide to take the offer.

I hear ya on getting offers/interviews when you are busy. It always works that way for some reason.

Hope things work out however you want them to.

Hokey-

Where I live, about 90% of the paperwork I filled out before interviews ALL said that. They just want to screen your background before considering for second interview.

Good luck!

This is obscene. I guess you don't have any privacy legislation that prevents companies from digging up your whole life. Why not just drop your drawers, assume the position, and be done with it?

"If my prior employers and/or references are contacted, the report may include information obtained through personal interviews regarding my character, general reputation, personal characteristics and/or mode of living. "

Hokey-

this part is the only thing that strikes me as odd. I would ask for further detail on this.

Previous employers may NOT say anything negative about you by ANY means.

Legally, all your previous employer can say is confirm the dates of when you worked. They can't say you were great at your job or bad, let along discuss further things. That's illegal and if it prevents you from getting a job, that's considered slander.

Just keep that in mind!

Could this be one of those scary ultra-Christian things where they won't let you work there if you're living with someone or something stupid like that?

our current administration has done their best to limit our privacy.

according to my husband, this was enacted during the Clinton administration, but for what purpose I have no idea. I personally think it's a bad idea, because it just gives a company more leverage to use against you rather than basing your qualifications on whether or not you can do the job you're applying for!

an ultra-conservative Christian litmus test? Nah, I think them people would ask point blank if you were living in sin, then tell you you're not qualified for their job!!!!

Why not just drop your drawers, assume the position, and be done with it?

hey, maybe THAT'S what old Slick Willie had in mind when he passed this!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think it's a horrible invasion of privacy for a company to do a credit check when offering employment because how the hell you gonna break a cycle of barely making ends meet when you don't qualify for a good paying job that could make all the difference? Not to mention, there are another dozen eyes who have access to pertinent, sensitive material that really don't need to be seeing this stuff.

screw it, Hokey. I wouldn't sign the damned thing because it is a flagrant invasion of privacy, and I'm not that private a person to begin with!!!