Got Fired for the Second time! I feel like a failure!

Well, I got "let go" of on Wed. after one full week of employment as an Exec. Asst. ! I was in such shock! Most of all, I lost my job prior to this one, so now I feel like a complete failure!

It's odd I got fired, since the day before, they set me up in my new office finally. hmmmm....???

As of now, my last shred of self-esteem has been shattered. I was burned by my last loss and now I just feel like I'm too stupid to take on any job, even if it's as simple as being a Receptionist. Not to mention, I have a BA degree from a prestigious university, and it seems to have gotten me nowhere.

My first job out of college, as a Receptionist, was my favorite job. The people there liked me and were fairly satisfied with my work. Just now I feel terrible.

Is there anyone else there who ever fell into a path like this? If so, pls tell me, so I know I'm not the only one out there!:(

• Author
What happened at both? What were their reasons for letting you go?

The first place was an Advertising agency. My boss at the time, a verabally abusive man who later had numerous amounts complaints against him for sexually harrassing many female clients, said it was for a few reasons:

1. I called in sick twice in a two month period. However, i argued this. I called in sick once. The reason I got sick & everyone else in the office did too was because we had a bad flood and during the rennovation, we were forced to work in those conditions. And having bad allergies, the sheet rock got in my respitory system and made me extrememly sick. The other sick day he counted against me was because I assisted on a production shoot all day Saturday in the outdoors and had a fever the next day. So he counted Sunday against me too. I put in about 60 hours a week at that job for a very low salary as a Receptionist, and yet he still complained I didn't put in enough time! Not to mention he said that in general "it wasn't working out and that they're letting me go".

What is your degree in?

Associates in Communications & Media Arts

Bachelor's in Cinema Studies

• Author
What happened at both? What were their reasons for letting you go?

The first place was an Advertising agency. My boss at the time, a verabally abusive man who later had numerous amounts complaints against him for sexually harrassing many female clients, said it was for a few reasons:

1. I called in sick twice in a two month period. However, i argued this. I called in sick once. The reason I got sick & everyone else in the office did too was because we had a bad flood and during the rennovation, we were forced to work in those conditions. And having bad allergies, the sheet rock got in my respitory system and made me extrememly sick. The other sick day he counted against me was because I assisted on a production shoot all day Saturday in the outdoors and had a fever the next day. So he counted Sunday against me too. I put in about 60 hours a week at that job for a very low salary as a Receptionist, and yet he still complained I didn't put in enough time! Not to mention he said that in general "it wasn't working out and that they're letting me go".

My second job which I just lost, they told me that they weren't sure they need an Executive Assistant to the President since the Office Manager already handled that. They stated that to be the "main" reason for dismissal. The second reason they said that "maybe I could have picked up things a little bit faster".

What is your degree in?

Associates in Communications & Media Arts

Bachelor's in Cinema Studies

I used to manage a temp agency so maybe I can help. Someone else asked if they gave you a reason. That would help. And what was the reason for losing your last job? Also why do YOU think you lost both jobs? Was it a complete shock both times?

• Author

My last job was lost because "this position was newly created and they weren't sure they needed an Executive Asst, being the Office Mgr handled that." Plus they threw in, "maybe I could have picked up things a little bit faster".

What's the reason I think I got fired from both jobs? Well, I was HAPPY to get out of the Advertising agency. As I stated, my boss was verbally abusive towards all employees, including me. He used profanity excessivly and threw things. My other boss there was rumored to "hate" women. Plus he smoked in the building all the time, which is against the law. I just couldn't stand the atmosphere. Of course I was sad for the sake of "getting dismissed", but to be honest, I was not planning on staying there much longer. Needless to say, they went through 8 Receptionists in a five month period. I was Receptionist #6 and I lasted the longest out of all of them! LOL! My replacement was "fired" after 3 weeks. Let's just leave as, I felt terrible "being fired", but I wasn't happy there and getting out of that place alive was a blessing!:o I guess at that place, they weren't satisfied with anyone's performance as a Receptionist. So I feel I got fired from that place was they had unrealistic expecations about the job since 7other Receptionists couldn't manage the position either---all in a five month period.

As far as the second job which lasted for a duration of one week, I felt I got let go of for a few reasons.

I think maybe it wasn't in their budget to keep me on staff or maybe they just wanted to test out any person to see if they needed the extra help. What's odd is I was hired as an Executive Assistant to the President of the company. They didn't have a desk for me, so they took me out shopping my first day of work to look for a "Reception Desk". They decided not to order it by the next morning and then stuck me in a "temporary cubicle". Next, they moved the HR Mgr out of her office and moved me into there. Then next afternoon, I was fired. So go figure.

I did feel like something odd was going on over there.

On my part, I did feel I wasn't ready to manage the position of an Executive Asst to the President, since my experience prior t that was being a Receptionist, and reporting to the Office Mgr. This job was offered to me "on the spot", so I guess it's also their mistake for hiring someone who only had front desk Receptionist experience for a year and six months. I mean, the resume was there, they knew what experience was under my belt. And I know Exec Asst's usually need 5-7 yrs experience in the Administrative field. It's a big job!

• Author

also...to finish the answer to your question...

I wasn't shocked about the Advertising company letting me go.

But I was in shock about the other company letting me go!

I'm not sure I can get a fix on this. It sounds like the second company was extremely disorganized. Very strange that they would kick the HR person out of their office and move you in. How did you react to all the changes? Did you complain about it? Or roll with the punches?

My sense though is that neither one of these firings were your fault though. Really, sometimes, it's just a bad "match." I've placed people time and time again where it didn't work out. Either the client or the employee wasn't satisfied. But the funny thing is that eventually I'd find the RIGHT match for the employee and for the client and it would "stick." You just haven't found the right match.

Do you think you can find anything in your field? Even if it's as a receptionist? Somewhere where you can move up into your field I mean. Because I've found that receptionists, rarely move up. Pretty much a dead end job.

Executive Assistants are really just secretaries. Believe me, I did it for years before I got my degree. It may be a big job but it doesn't require any special skills beyond the normal computer/typing skills. If you were disciplined enough to go through college and get a degree, you can certainly get a job as an Executive Assitant. You have a college degree! You DON"T have to start at the absolute bottom (Receptionist.) Those go to high school graduates or even dropouts. Set your sights a little higher and I think you might be surprised.

Also, consider registering with a temp agency. This way you can try out different jobs to see where you fit.

• Author

I appreciate all your help ladies!

Maybe you're right...it just didn't work out.

My last job required more than typing and basic computer skills. My computer skills are not so terrifc. I can create spreadsheets of logs and charts on excel, export documents, type letters, labels, columns, and create a basic slide show.

I'll keep trying until the right job comes along, I'm sure it will.

I really appreciate everyone helping me out. I do feel better! Thanks! :)

HokeyReligions
Executive Assistants are really just secretaries. Believe me, I did it for years before I got my degree. It may be a big job but it doesn't require any special skills beyond the normal computer/typing skills. If you were disciplined enough to go through college and get a degree, you can certainly get a job as an Executive Assitant. You have a college degree! You DON"T have to start at the absolute bottom (Receptionist.) Those go to high school graduates or even dropouts. Set your sights a little higher and I think you might be surprised.

Also, consider registering with a temp agency. This way you can try out different jobs to see where you fit.

I beg to differ here. I had to get a degree to move into an Exec. Asst. position. It takes a LOT more than average computer/typing skills. As an EA I was responsible for budgets, payroll, AP/AR, Project tracking, marketing, and depending on the department HR work too (benefits, background checks, etc.) and I often gave work to the department secretary and/or our clerks -- whom I supervised. I needed supervisory skills since I had several people who reported directly to me. I also negotiated with vendors and building managers and had input into leasing and contracts. I had signature authority for a certain amount and I had to know what was going on in the business. My ideas and suggestions were listened to and I was also on a steering committee for some management changes that were on the horizon. I was responsible for problem resoulution with clients and vendors and with designing file procedues, document control and other administrative responsibilities and I wrote (I mean authored not just typed) procedures that were implemented as policy.

There are many companies who throw that title out there thinking that its "just a secretary" but a true EA is much more than that. I had to be trusted with very confidential information (including knowing about major mergers that were in the works years in advance of public knowledge and if word leaked out it could have affected stock prices drastically and I would have been held just as responsible as the executives I assisted -- including having to serve jail time if it were found out that I was the one who leaked the information).

You have a college degree! You DON"T have to start at the absolute bottom (Receptionist.) Those go to high school graduates or even dropouts.
This reallty hit a sore spot with me. Receptionist is not the "bottom" and that is also a responsible job and a good receptionist makes a direct impact on the bottom line of a company. Not everyone can do it and I know that because I've hired (& fired) receptionists before. Its more than answering phones and taking messages (& there are lots of people who can't do that well--or at all).

A good support staff is crucial to the success of large businesses. You can have the best, most expensive car with more bells and whistles and warranties than James Bond, but if you don't have a good set of tires supporting that car -- it's not going anywhere.

cosmogal, you have had a small taste of what it takes to be good in that position. Going through a temp agency is a great way to get lots of experience and generally the expectations of employers bringing on a temp is lower so you can really learn and shine!

And, if its money you are thinking about -- I tend to earn more than engineering designers/CADD operators and they have to have degrees and engineering experience. Even new engineering graduates who go into companies as engineers will typically earn less starting out than a good EA or AA. Finance majors too. I know because I processed their payroll in several different companies.

• Author

"cosmogal, you have had a small taste of what it takes to be good in that position."

What do you mean by a "small taste?"

I guess an Exec Asst means you can be anything from a general secretary, a Personal Assistant (washing the boss's car and picking up his suits from the dry cleaners) to being an actual business assistant. It really all depends on the company I think.

Same goes for Receptionist positions. Of course, a Receptionist is a very essential marketing tool for the company...they are all about "image" of the company. As a Receptionist, I was always extremely professional and courteous. That was one thing I always got complimented on.

However, some companies prefer a Receptionist to also manage Administrative tasks aside from front desk telephone reception. Other Receptionists are bored...they file their nails at the front desk if a client is not present or a phone is not ringing. IT REALLY DEPENDS ON THE COMPANY AND THE PERSON.

HC is right though, very seldom do I see a "Receptionist" position which requires a Bachelor's Degree and a few years experience.I would have to agree with HC here, about 90% of the time, a Receptionist position requires a "High School Diploma or a GED"...and also, maybe "One year's experience in a corporate setting" as well.

I choose possibly purusing a "Receptionist" position because it's a good start to learn about a company and if you show you can be an asset further than that position, you will be promoted in some way. At my first job, as I went on, I learned more and became assigned to new projects.

Anyway....

I thought with "TEMPING", that type of job, they NEVER trained you. Because with temps, don't they want you to go there quickly and "pick up"

everything that's going on without ANY training or DIRECTION?

I'm curious about the truth of those "temp to perm" jobs, because I'm actually considering it. HC, can you pls tell me the UPS AND DOWNS of accepting a TEMP TO PERM position?

• Author

"This reallty hit a sore spot with me. Receptionist is not the "bottom" and that is also a responsible job and a good receptionist makes a direct impact on the bottom line of a company. Not everyone can do it and I know that because I've hired (& fired) receptionists before. Its more than answering phones and taking messages (& there are lots of people who can't do that well--or at all). "

Hokey-

true, but what position is lower than a Receptionist. I don't mean this in a derogitory way, and I'm certainly not saying that a Receptionist doesn't have any responsiblities which make a don't make a contribution to the company, but not many positions are below a Receptionist.

Of course, there's always "File Clerk" and "Office Assistant'', but these jobs are mainly part-time jobs for students. In a corporate world, mainly a position below a Receptionist are the cleaners.

The duties of a Receptionist is mainly answering calls, meeting & greeting vistors, filing, data entry, typing letters, and other duties as assigned. And that's not bad at all, it's a good starting point. When I was a Receptionist, I made sure I gave a courteous and professional impression on clients/visitors.

I was never given anything "deadline-oriented" because I was only a "Receptionist". I always thought if the receptionist was "moody" the comapny was bad and the employees were miserable there. Believe me, there's nothing worse than being a client/visitor/potential employee and meeting a miserable moody Receptionist at the front desk. You want smiles and enthusiam, showing what a great company this is.

I just seek a Receptionist position because my computer skills are not as up to par as they should be for further positions. I think it's a good start, personally. But of course, I'm open to anything that comes my way which I feel is a "good fit" and will benefit my skills and potential to the company in the long run.

Of course, there's always "File Clerk" and "Office Assistant'', but these jobs are mainly part-time jobs for students

I can't imagine where you've been working. There's a LOT to know about records management (what you call being a 'file clerk' ) - certainly students wouldn't be equipped to manage the job, especially part-time. Same goes for Office Assistant, which is usually a position that can stand in for the Office Manager when necessary. Both are higher on the pole than Receptionist.

Hokey, sorry but I stand by my statements. I've been an EA and I know what it takes. All I'm saying is that if Cosmo has the skills (computer and typing) the rest can be learned. I was saying that if she is smart enough and had the discipline to earn a college degree she CAN perform the duties you stated. Sorry, but it ain't rocket science. I did it for years and years so I'm well qualified to make that statement.

I stand by ALL my statements including that the receptionist is the lowest position on the corporate ladder....uh, should I count the mail clerk? I didn't say that they weren't important at all but it is what it is.

And Hokey, what kind of degree did you have to get? Most likely an AA degree. Nothing wrong with that at all but Cosmo has a BACHELOR's degree. Sorry, but there's a BIG difference there. And all the duties that you perform are still administrative in nature. Look, it's an important position. Not putting you down at all. I had those jobs and some even paid VERY decently (more than a teacher's salary).

Cosmo, you're selling yourself short. If I were you I would immediately sign up with a temp position for a few reasons. First of all, many of them will give you FREE computer training so you can go after the better jobs (i.e. not Receptionist), secondly most times they ARE temp to perm. But even when they weren't presented to me as temp to perm (I worked as a temp also for many years) they became perm. I swear about 70% of the jobs I was sent out on that were supposed to be temp offered me a permanent position. It's a GREAT way to get your foot in the door.

But what's great is that if you don't like the assignment, you just finish it out and ask for a new one until you find the right fit. I highly recommend going this route for you Cosmo. If you take advantage of their FREE training and update your computer skills, they can help you go after the better, higher paying jobs. Also, they can tell you what jobs you may now already be qualified for due to your degree.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Sorry, but I used to place people part-time for those positions (for other companies) ALL the time. I myself hired part-time Office Assistants for my office. You can't make a blanket statement such as the one you did. That may be true for SOME positions but most only require a very minimal amount of training. Those jobs CAN be performed by part-time students.

I can't imagine where you've been working. There's a LOT to know about records management (what you call being a 'file clerk' )

Sorry to disagree here with you again but Cosmo is right. File clerk/Records management...same thing. A student would not have any problem performing those duties part-time or otherwise with a minimal amount of training.

I can't imagine where you've been working. There's a LOT to know about records management (what you call being a 'file clerk' ) - certainly students wouldn't be equipped to manage the job, especially part-time. Same goes for Office Assistant, which is usually a position that can stand in for the Office Manager when necessary. Both are higher on the pole than Receptionist.

In the company I work for, the file clerks are part time students. Certainly not anything knowledgeable like records management. They are also known as office assistants, because they'll do any other assistance around the office.

cosmogirl, you might go into some career counseling. Maybe you are selling yourself short by looking for admin assistant jobs. And a ltitle soul searching might help you get some confidence back.

cosmogirl, you might go into some career counseling. Maybe you are selling yourself short by looking for admin assistant jobs. And a ltitle soul searching might help you get some confidence back

Magda, I completely agree with you. I think cosmo IS selling herself short. I think she's scared that to go after jobs that she "thinks" she's over-qualified for. But in my experience a 4 year degree speaks volumes to an employer. It automatically puts you in another category. I'm not even going to comment on whether that's right or wrong. I know a lot of people will have a problem with that statement but it's a FACT. I've seen it a hundred times! Cosmo may have LESS experience and even be less qualified than someone else with no degree or with an AA degree. But if she's pitted against that person for the SAME job, in MANY instances (not all) the employer would pick the person with the Bachelor's degree. That's just how it is. Like I said, I'm not saying it's right or wrong but that's the way it DOES happen in so many cases.

So, you're right Magda, Cosmo is undervaluing herself. That Bachelor's degree does count for a LOT! It shows the employer that she can stick with something that requires discipline and a commitment. And again, rightly or wrongly, it gives the employer the perception that this individual is smart and on the ball.

People with no degrees and AA's please don't flame me. I'm just stating the facts of what goes on in real life. Fairly or unfairly that's the way it is.

• Author

Maybe I should just copy & paste my resume and show my experience HC.

Since you worked for an Employment Agency, perhaps you can place me with some job titles so I know what to look for.:o I'm excluding names since this is on the net. Here's my resume copy and pasted. Also, keep in mind, I know the basics to these computer programs!

MY RESUME (no names or addresses provided)Career Profile: Administrative Support professional experienced working in fast-paced environments demanding strong organization, technical, and interpersonal skills. Ethical and committed to supporting various departments.

Work Experience:

XXXX Company—Receptionist, City, State, Zip

Temporary Position: June 2005-August 2005

Responsible for front desk telephone reception, facsimiles, typing, mail, office files, and office supplies.

Maintained accurate filing systems for all projects in conjunction with the video and multimedia projects.

Assisted creative staff with proofreading all print production material for accuracy, typing scripts, and maintaining files for all processed ads.

Participated in pre-production, production, and post-production for television commercials.

Coordinated media for clients, vendors, and staff.

Managed correspondence for Executive Management.

XXXX Company—Receptionist/Administrative Coordinator, City, State, Zip

April 2004-June 2005

Front desk telephone reception, sorted mail, data entry, faxing, and copying of company documents.

Prepared expense reports for Executive Management.

Researched companies for potential client leads for Marketing/Sales Departments.

Prepared letters and documents.

Scheduled meetings for Executive Management/clients, maintained calendars, assisted with travel arrangements and company events.

Created charts and logs for various departments.

Coordinated time and attendance for all employees.

XXX COMPANY—Bank Teller/Weekend Supervisor (part-time), City, State, Zip,

January 2001-March 2004

Completed transactions such as deposits, withdraws, transfers, certified checks, official checks, money orders, payments, travelers checks, gift checks, coin orders, and savings bonds.

Assisted supervisor with management, banking office procedures, and employee issues.

Utilized interpersonal skills to resolve customer concerns/issues.

Education:

SUNY Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, New York

Bachelor of Arts in Cinema and Cultural Studies, December 2003

SUNY Suffolk County Community College, Selden, New York

Associate of Applied Science in Communications & Media Arts, December 2000

Computer Skills:

MS Word/Works, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, ACT, QuickBooks, and Internet (research)

*References Available Upon Request*

To be truthful, I'm aware in some respect, I'm selling myself short. But deep down, I do feel I need a little more experience before going to the next level.

To be truthful, I'm aware in some respect, I'm selling myself short. But deep down, I do feel I need a little more experience before going to the next level.

Let that be the hiring managers decision. A receptionists job will not prepare you for the next level. Unless the next level is admin asst.

This is kind of tough without talking to you but the first thing I would do is take out the part in the beginning about "Administrative Support professional." Firstly because you haven't done it long enough to say "professional" so it looks like you might be exxagerating a little to say that. Sorry, don't be mad...just trying to help. Secondly, by taking it out it doesn't limit you to just those kinds of positions. It will leave the door open for others.

Look for positions that have the word "coordinator" in them. They're basically administrative in nature but it's really a step up because you aren't "pigeon holing" yourself so much. More room to grow and move up in those type positions.

Also, are there places around where you love that are "cultural" centers? Not sure what I'm trying to say....like a place where they show foregin movies, put on plays, etc. This is a little out of my area but what comes to mind is for you to get yourself in an environment that relates to your studies. Even if you start at the bottom. Not sure I'm explaining this clearly. Do you know what I mean? And there's nothing wrong with just sending your resume with a cover letter to places you'd like to work even if they're not advertising a job.

The other type of position you might consider, again at a cultural type center is something PR related.

See, I'm just trying to get you to think BEYOND administrative type jobs which USUALLY, not always mind you, ARE dead end jobs. Believe me I know this from experience. They're the way to go if you don't have a degree because it's the ONLY way really that you can move up but it takes years and years, if you move up at all.

You really don't have to start at the very bottom, Cosmo. And if I think of other types of positions, I'll let you know but it's really hard to advise you on something like this without talking to you and without knowing the job market where you live.

Hope this helps some though.

Your computer skills look better than average to me. I'd brush up on those and be the best you can be with those programs.

Also, you say you think you need a little more experience to get to the next level. I understand what you're saying but there is a learning curve to all jobs. Employers don't expect you to come in there knowing it all. Every organization runs differently and has their own way of doing things. There's a LOT of learning on the job in most positions. So don't worry about that Cosmo.

Google "education resume". For someone who just graduated with little work experience, touting your education above work experience is the way to go.

Yes, you're so right Magda. Very good advice. I guess I was trying to say that but you said it in a more succint way.