Who Is/has Been An Executive Assistant?

miserableasalways

To make a long story short...

Right out of college, I landed my first job as a Receptionist. I liked it there, but left after a year & 2months since I was offered a job as a Receptionist/Admin Asst in a local Advertising agency. I thought everything would be wonderful since this was a field I always wanted to be in and studied for in college. Well, after 8 weeks, I got fired. The VP was like a drill sargent and literally would curse me out everyday. He also made me work late nights everyday and long weekends! Then he let me go me saying I "couldn't handle the work". Needless to say, I was the 6th Receptionist to leave there in a four month period. Even my replacement was "fired" after 4 weeks. :sick:

Anyhow...

I now landed a job as an Executive Asst. I started last Tuesday. The boss,people, & environment there seem good....SO FAR! But I'm really freaking out now that I can't handle this job, being an asst to the President is a tough job, and that goes for anybody. As you can see, my background only has "Receptionist" in it for under two yrs. I was shocked actually when they offered me the job on "the spot", with the office mgr saying the President "loved me". (not in that way ;)

Nothings going terribly wrong exactly, but there are times when I am given an assignment and I need to ask someone to help me figure it out. For example, the Office Mgr told me to put an Excel file onto Word Doc, under Mail Merge and make labels. Now, I've made labels a gazillion times before, but I only used "Mail Merge" maybe twice in my whole "Administrative Support" career! So I was lost.:confused: I luckily had a girl who sat in the cube next to me help me out. Of course, she was VERY Helpful and nice about it. But I can't help but feel if I keep "not knowing" how to do some of these "little things", that I'll get fired from this job too! Inside, everyday at work, I'm screaming. I always feel like I'm drowning. :(

Are there any women/men out there who can empathize with me? Any experiences/suggestions/comments that can help me? I 'm getting married soon and I don't want to "get canned" because I'm incompetant yet again.

I am at a point where I feel although I went to college, the only job I could do is washing floors and toilets.:(

laRubiaBonita

i can totally empathize! i have been in the admin field going on 6 years! wow, it does not seem that long!

but trail and error is my best teaching tool. that and "playing" with the computer programs....to see what does what..with out the fear of losing some important information...and there is always "Undo".

And speak with your boss, the Pres. He apparently sees something in you, so tell him your concerns, and that you are still a bit nervous, especially with your last work experience. But i can attest, he will want to know if you are having trouble, or are not sure what exactly is wanted....so ask, and do not let some minor thing blow outta control because you wer afraid to ask.

Relax, and just do your best, even take some computer classes if it makes you feel a bit more confident on your skills.

slubberdegullion
And speak with your boss... and that you are still a bit nervous, especially with your last work experience.

Oh, I don't know about that. Your boss already has enough on the go, and the last thing he needs is to worry whether or not your skills are up to the task.

I do agree, though, that you need to be clear on what he wants, and his expectations.

Use the people around you as resources. You've already got a start on that by asking the other woman about the mail merge, and that's all good. Also, if there are company training documents or courses, use them.

The best way to work with a boss - and I know, cuz I are one - is to find out what keeps him/her awake at night, and do your best to alleviate that issue.

Remember that most, if not all, bosses are big on results. A good boss doesn't really care how the task gets completed, whether you asked for help or not, but they DO care that the task is done correctly.

Good luck! I have a hunch that you're going to be great! :)

I too went to college and hold a AAS as a Administrative Assistant.

My first job out of college is the same one I am doing now. Receptionist/Administrative Support/Administrative Assistant (25 1/2 months). I work for a Marketing/Managemet Company. We have a small staff in the corporate office and I work very closely with the CEO and the propery managers. They are all aware that I came right out of college with little experience other then class room.

When I am confused about my assignments I always ask questions. I apoligize to them and explain I need more understanding of what it is they need me to do to help them out. The managers are so busy in their hussle and bussle they forget that I don't know all the ins and outs of their duties. They apoligize all the time to me for not explaining well enough. They know I don't read minds.

Be confident, direct, keep your questioning simple (don't ramble about your inadequacies.) keep in your mind that their minds are preoccupied with other issues and they don't always give good enough instructions. If someone else can help you like another support person, or person who works along with the person who gave you the assignement. Never be afraid to ask questions. Its better to ask questions then to totally screw something up and embarrass your boss or manager while they are making a presentation or in a conference.

I understand your situation.

I plan to expand out of this position into Administrative Assistant position someday. I have concerns about not being able to hold my own because my role here is dominately receptionist with admn support duties. I dont get to use much of the computer programs.

I think keeping your confidence, don't be afraid to ask questions, and also having your text books from college near you will help you tremendously. I have my Excel book and also my Gregg Reference book at work all the time. I have had to refer to it.

Spend time on your breaks and at lunch learning more about the software or take a course. If you have it on your home computer learn it.

Also, Microsoft has quite good 'help' files and you can access them very easily and then search for answers by asking a question, searching for a term, or using the Index. Just hit Help up there on the line that's just below the name of the application (it's the last one after File, etc.). I have used MS's Help files to teach myself applications.

Also, when people teach you how to do things, take notes and practice so you won't have to ask them to show you the same thing more than once.

HokeyReligions

I worked in a lot of fields before I moved to Texas and when I came here my first job was as a telemarketer (yuck! Hated it) but I would sometimes fill in for the receptionist/secretary and I enjoyed that. I went to a business school to learn to be an Exec. Secy. because I liked the hours and office environment.

My first job didn't seem to have anything to do with what I learned in school! I made all sorts of mistakes and had to ask a lot of questions, but in time I learned and was able to intuit some of the things that would need to be done. As a receptionist you got a lot of exposure to business practices and it's not so different supporting upper management. You'll learn the technical aspects quickly and I'll bet if you come back and post again in three months you'll be more relaxed and confident and will be one of the people helping others with their problems and questions.

I spent so many years in the support field that even after I went to college for Graphic Design I've stayed in an administrative field. I worked my way up to an executive level assistant and then to office manager - it takes time.

I just started on a technical side of the administrative field and I'm having to work my way up with experience again. I'm no longer a lead person or manager and honestly, I don't know if I want to go back to that. I think if I continue to apply myself I will be able to work my way up to lead positions in this area too - and I don't have to do any accounting! (I don't like dealing with payroll and AP/AR and budgets, but I can do it if I must)

Relax, take good notes, don't be afraid to ask questions, if the company does not have training classes - find some training yourself. Maybe go back to your college and see if there are classes or on-line tutorials that you can use. Some of the computer stores offer classes in various software packages too. If you got the job through an agency, talk to them about training to improve your skills -- I've done that. Agencies want to help you be successful because you are a reflection on the quality of people that they place and it shows that they are still supporting the companies with which they place people.

Good luck and congrats on the new job AND on your upcoming marriage!