Part Time, Full Time? Make up your mind!

I work for a hotel that will be soon closing its doors for 7 months to undergo complete renovations. I am in the sales office, so I have been told time and time again by my boss that I will still have a job, for we still have to sell the hotel.

Just recently, I was told that I will be having my hours cut back due to departmental cut backs on funds. I was appalled! I told my boss that I wished she would have told me that I was going to be cut to part time when I had first started asking about my job stability. She said it should be temporary. That is all fine and good, but I need a full time paycheck now!

So, I go on a job hunt! I get called in for many new opportunites and find one I love. I find out during the interview that it is only part time for the next few months. I was bummed at first, but then realized that it would work great with my hours being cut back at job #1.

I went in for my second interview for this great job last week and felt really positive with the way it went. So, I decided to let my boss know that I was pursuing another part time job, just so that she and I could work out a schedule if I got offered the job. She told me that my job now was a full time job and that I could not work part time. ?!?!?!?!?! She cuts back my hours, but then says I have to work full time once I get a great job opportunity. Of course, I get a call from the employer today and says I am hired :o

I am so confused on what to do. I almost feel that I am in a dead end in my current job and that the new job would be a great opportunity. But, on the same token, I need to have a full time paycheck, which would not happen for awhile with job #2. I don't know if I should go ahead and take the new job and just try to search for another part time job, or if I should pass it up and just settle for the job I am already in. I guess sometimes things just never work out!

Your original boss has not been honest with you. Now she's saying full time to prevent you from leaving. Once the new job is declined, don't be suprised if she cuts you back to PT soon.

Looks like you have a dilemna. If you jump into a new job, you are going to have to expect changes. Sometimes you do things for the wrong reasons. Wasn't there someone you could have talked to about this. Its scary doing things alone.

before you decide not to take the second job, get it in writing that your old job will be full-time.

your boss shouldn't have any problem doing this if it's true, and that way you'll have an idea of what you're working with without getting totally screwed.