Females only Job Position

I guess it's true.

You know, I just don't have the time I'd like to have to post on LS.....so I decided to hire me a helper.

I placed an ad for an Administrative Assistant last week in the local paper......I've got 45 resumes' so far......all are female.

Not that I'm complaining, it's just I've got to go through all of these and narrow it down a bit, and I can hear Mrs. Moose already......

"Nope, she's too young, and single", "Nope, she's too old and naggy", "Nope, her boobies are bigger than mine"....."Nope, Nope, Nope"

Anyways.....not one male applicant.

I don't think it's weird or anything, I just think that women do hold the market on some jobs and others have tried to convince me that that isn't true.

What do you guys think?

Men aren't liberated enough to think that being an AA is ok. Most think it's 'woman's work' and therefore beneath their dignity.

Originally posted by Moose

What do you guys think?

I think whomever is best qualified for the job is who you should hire regardless of what your wife says.... and if her being young and attractive is part of the "requirements" then so be it. A good looking woman at the front desk is very good for business :)

SixthSt.Girl

Does what your wife think (or what you think she'll think) really play into your hiring decision? I'm asking because I have worked for men whose wives routinely investigate their husbands' new hirees (they're not subtle, either).

I actually have an interview for a secretarial position tomorrow. I'm still not sure what the difference is b/w secretaries and aa's. I guess "secretary" is the old-school term? Anyway, it's not my future career - I want to do it as kind of a side job while I'm attending school. I'd like to ask, is it acceptable to wear something other than a dark, monochromatic, suit to the interview? My past jobs were in retail, so it was a little more lax. I have a pinstripe suitdress I'd like to wear, but it's kind of young-looking and formfitting (though not tight).

I do think women hold the market for this sort of work. Why men don't want to do it, I'm not quite sure. "Secretary" used to stand for: blonde ditz who doesn't do anything except pour coffee and go after her boss. Even though secs have taken on more responsibility, gained more respect, and are given fancy titles, the stereotype still exists.

I think most people associate "assistant" as female job position, which is a shame, IMHO. A couple of the churches I work with have male administrative assistants, and just like their female counterparts, they do a bang-up job (though the retired gent just laughs and says, "just say that I'm Father So and So's secretary!" he doesn't give a rat's *ss!!!) I would imagine that the selling quality would be someone who won't tell where the bodies are buried, lol ...

Moose, if there are any trade schools or colleges/universities that have business courses, see if you can place a card on their bulletin boards or check with the instructors to see if they have anyone they can recommend, male or female. I'm sure a business student -- boy or girl -- would jump at the chance to garner practical experience while they get their schooling under their belt.

I think I`ll place an ad for an Administrative assistant. sounds like a great way to meet women :D

RecordProducer

Well your marriage is most important, right? Hire an ugly woman or one that is significantly older than you! Make a compromise and then Mrs. Moose owes ya one! ;):p

• Author

I'm looking for qualifications first and foremost. I see the resumes' before I see the actual person. I look for key words like Excel, Word, Power Point, Quickbooks, and even Telemarketing.

The truth of the matter is, this person will be a part of our sales force as well. Although a small part, still a very important factor.

Our KC office is ran by a woman, and she kicks tail over most of our competition. I'm inclined to believe a woman would do the same for this office.

As far as Mrs. Moose is concerned, I was just joking around. She hasn't said a word so far about it, and probably won't until she sees who we hire. Should be interesting.

not one male applicant.

I don't think it's weird or anything, I just think that women do hold the market on some jobs and others have tried to convince me that that isn't true.

What do you guys think?

I tend to think along traditional lines. I think some jobs are more suited for women and some suited for men. Of course, there are varying degrees and it also has a lot to do with ability.

I don't really see it as a sexist thing or a form of "holding someone back." Let's face it, if I were in a burning house, I would rather have a strong male help me than a not-as-strong female. And c'mon . . . females are genetically weaker, unless they are on steriods. I would also not be interested in a man's job. Good Grief! They have jobs that require use of . . . *cough* . . . dare I say it? . . . a "port-a-potty." There is just NO WAY. LOL

Yep, I'll take the Assistant job you have to offer, Mr. Moose (provided you have running water). Some guy can have the construction job.

Its generally a lower paid position with little or no room for growth; has responsibility without autonomy; requires a nurturing nature because secretaries/admin assts are the people who wipe the bosses asses and take the crap when things go wrong. They are respected to a point, but are very expendable and the only prestige they have is if they work for a large company that has file clerks or cleaning people who the only ones considered beneath the AA. Bottom of the barrell job. They aren't billed to a client so they are part of the capital budget, they don't generate revenue or have a great impact on the company bottom line. They are considered good enough to work in an office, but not good enough or smart enough to have a 'real' job. They are throw a bone every year with 'secretaries' day which involves flowers or a lunch or some places have 'conferences' with a fashion show and a shallow empowerment speach made by someone who used to be a secretary but then got a degree -- neatly putting those career secretaries (aka those not smart enough to get out of being one) in their place---back at the bottom of the barrel!

Secretaries have to bow and serve others. Make the coffee, buy the supplies, fetch this, do that, be creative -- but don't think too much outside of pretty colors or nice headings on the spreadsheet -- its not up to you to understand it, just do as you are told. If you were smart you wouldn't be a secretary!

I was a secretary for 20 years in a variety of different businesses (large and small) and this is how I felt about it and this is how I was treated. Oh yes -- if you get too old, or put on weight or hurt your foot so you can't wear heels anymore you can kiss your job goodbye---didn't someone else say here in this thread that a pretty woman was good for business?

I thought I wanted a career in "Administrative Support" as its been called. Ha! Little did I know until I got into it that its nothing more than a door-mat job. Even those so-called 'professional secretaries' who have degrees are treated like 'lesser-than's' by many staff people---especially college kids who are going into a different field---one which 'utilizes' the department secretary.

I thought it was a respected position by nearly everyone when I went into it. I thought it would be great to be depended on and valued. That was not my experience with it. Everyone else figures they can be a secretary because it doesn't require any great talent or skill or smarts so they throw the secretary a bone sometimes -- maybe by singling them out during the office christmas party and saying 'we want to thank JPMorgan for putting this dinner together' Whoop-de-fricking-do! I made a few phone calls because that was my job. ANYONE could have done it.

OK, so I'm bitter about secretarial work. But I'm not the only one who feels this way -- I know from my many friends who are or were secretaries along with me. No one looks at it as a career position--only a stepping stone or a fall-back for those not smart enough to make it otherwise.

How many men want to make coffee for everyone. Order office supplies. Make travel arrangements. Type up letters that others have written. Spend hours typing in numbers in spreadsheets. Making pretty slide-shows from other's work and thoughts and not be allowed to contribute one original idea to the context of the work and not the appearance of the work. How many men want to call building facilities to tell them to clean the bathrooms? I've had men come in and tell me to call because some other man plugged a toilet and there was crap all over.

Call about the air - its too hot in my office. Go get me a new pen and pad. Call and get me some flight information. Type up my notes. Make me six copies of this. Wipe my ass. Blow my nose. [to his boss]== Sorry sir, I did not see that error, you are right it doesn't add up at all, this number should be #### instead of @@@ -- my secretary made a type and I didn't catch it. [back to his secretary]====we are making some changes, do the spreadsheet again, but change @@@ to ####. (never admitting that the mistake was in HIS calculations and not my typing)

Bitter, yeah. Glad I'm not a secretary anymore. I admire those who are actually happy with the job and marvel that they can do it with a smile on their face and believe that they are being treated well.

Women make better door-mats, ergo women make better secretaries.

PS: I think thats why my spelling and grammar are so bad now -- I deliberatly let go as a way of rebelling! ;)

The funny thing now -- there is a department secretary where I work and she seems happy at her job and I do have to ask her for things sometimes--but I also offer to help her when she's swamped or I will bring something back for her instead of asking her to go get me a drink, that kind of thing, and I'm the ONLY one who does that, other than other department admins.

RecordProducer

As far as Mrs. Moose is concerned, I was just joking around. She hasn't said a word so far about it, and probably won't until she sees who we hire. Should be interesting.

What do you mean you were joking? :confused:

So what is exactly your question?

• Author

My main query is: "Do you think there are some jobs that females have the market on?" Even though men are capable of handling it?

RecordProducer

Yes. Secretaries, kindergarten teachers (with a good reason, because of all the pedophiles and cuz women are moms :) ), nurses, social workers, cleaning ladies :D , hair dressers, cosmeticians,...

My main query is: "Do you think there are some jobs that females have the market on?" Even though men are capable of handling it?

Yep, just as there are jobs that males have the market on, even though women are capable of handling it. But that doesn't mean that there is anything "wrong" with it, IMHO.

I believe it depends more of the ratio of unemployed mea versus unemployed women in your area, LOL.

Other than that... I do admit that I believe that women are more pro marketing and social sciences than pro finance and technical sciences, as an average.

I also believe that women are survivors and would do anything to not be unemeployed, taking an underpaid job and under their education job included. I think it has to do with risk avoidance too.

As far as statistics, go, someone said " There are lies, there are bigger lies, and then there's statistics" :D.

Moose, read JP Morgan's reply. Most men won't put up with the cr@p that usually comes with the job. There is a huge class system when it comes to the working world and the jobs traditionally done by women have been done so because men WILL NOT do them. Of course theoretically anyone can do any job (there are exceedingly strong women and very nurturing men) but some people refuse to take some jobs because the jobs are either too macho or not macho enough.

SixthSt.Girl
Originally posted by RecordProducer

Yes. Secretaries, kindergarten teachers (with a good reason, because of all the pedophiles and cuz women are moms :) ), nurses, social workers, cleaning ladies :D , hair dressers, cosmeticians,...

Paralegalism, the career I'm going to school for, is also dominated by women. I was surprised, though, that there are 5 guys out of 20 students in our class. It doesn't seem to bother them, though the one dude that sits in the middle of the class, encircled by women, looks a little scared. Conversely, the attorney sector seems to be male-dominated, at least around here.

Why is it that hotel maids are mainly women, though there are more male than female janitors?

SixthSt.Girl
Originally posted by quankanne

I think most people associate "assistant" as female job position, which is a shame, IMHO. A couple of the churches I work with have male administrative assistants, and just like their female counterparts, they do a bang-up job (though the retired gent just laughs and says, "just say that I'm Father So and So's secretary!" he doesn't give a rat's *ss!!!) I would imagine that the selling quality would be someone who won't tell where the bodies are buried, lol ...

At a corporate setting where I interned, there were a few male candidates applying for administrative/secretarial positions, but none of them were hired. Maybe bosses just don't WANT male secretaries, though I'm sure male secs exist. I interned in pr, and my boss (a woman) said she was glad I came along because the only other good candidate was a guy. She said she would feel really uncomfortable with a male intern. I'm not sure how this even came up or why she said it - if it has something to do with the career field, or another reason (?).

SixthSt.Girl
Originally posted by Star Gazer

It won't be that way for long. 61% of law students now are female. 9 out of the 22 attorneys in my office are also female.

Well, I think it partly has to do with my location (I hate Ohio), but it's still rare to see female attorneys around. California is probably much different, as it's so much more liberal. At our law school, there are quite a few female students, though I'd say definitely less than half are.

RecordProducer
Originally posted by SixthSt.Girl

Why is it that hotel maids are mainly women, though there are more male than female janitors?

Many occupations should be strictly female, because most men don't wash their hands after peeing! :D

:sick:

SixthSt.Girl
Originally posted by RecordProducer

Many occupations should be strictly female, because most men don't wash their hands after peeing! :D

:sick:

Yeah, I guess you're right, lol. :D

Originally posted by Star Gazer

It's my understanding that the 61% figure is the national average, and it's also identical to the average number of women vs. men at Harvard Law as of 2005.

No question that the practice of law was ONCE an "old man's club," and I still encounter it with certain old school judges (one threw me out of court for wearing a pantsuit instead of a skirt) and older attorneys (they sometimes treat me like a secretary). But it's changing, I assure you of that. It'll eventually make its way to your part of the country...I hope! :)

Does no one want to be a secretary any more? Even women don't respect the job! That was a career move for me and I'm beginning to feel pretty bad about it after reading this thread. Have I been deluding myself that it's an honorable and respected position? I'm beginning to feel like crap about my job now and myself! :(