Freakazoid boss - major mood swings :(

Angelina1433

I have a nuts-o boss. I was so upset today because she bit my head off for asking a simple question. I really wanted to cry. And I don't cry at work.

I've always known she was "unstable", but only recently have I been reporting to her. I've heard she takes "meds" but I'm unsure of that comment. I feel like I have to walk on eggshells around her everyday to figure out if she's in a good mood. Once I get a sense, then I'll initiate talking to her.

She'll go from one day being super sticky sweet, to the next being a raging monster. Always being condescending, or just flat out being inconsiderate. Not only day to day, but her mood can swing during the day as well.

So, I've decided to be a duck, and let her moody outbursts roll off my back. I'll humor her and always let her know how smart/funny/etc. she is. I feel that this is the only way I can deal with her. Any other suggestions??

A Fly onThe Wall
Originally posted by Angelina1433

So, I've decided to be a duck, and let her moody outbursts roll off my back. I'll humor her and always let her know how smart/funny/etc. she is. I feel that this is the only way I can deal with her. Any other suggestions??

I think you have your own best advice..

I've been an employer for most of my life and have always lowered myself down to the level of the people that work for me.. I always say that we all work side by side and I work with everybody instead of them working for me.. It makes for a great work enviroment..

All you can do is not cross your boss.. You will lose if you do.. Don't talk behind her back either.. Office busy bodies just love to tell the bosses what is going on behind their back...

I have about 5 nosey people (all women) that just love to report back to me and tell me who says what..

Funny really..

• Author
Angelina1433

I wish you were my boss, Fly. So I'll take my own advice and let it go. I understand that she has her own "issues", and I'll not take her comments personally.

You're right about losing if you try to cross your boss - I've seen it happen to people I work with. And it's not pretty.

I've had to deal with SOME people like that most of my working career. In the beginning it used to rattle my cage but now I really have a hard time not bursting out laughing. In between getting rattled by their outbursts and now, I did go through the stage of just letting their outbursts roll off my (duck) back. :)

I know I'm doing a good job for them and they aren't going to go elsewhere or if they do, they'll come back cap in hand in 10 to 14 days wanting me to work for them again (I'm one of the best in my field, but I don't do miracles.) I enjoy the money they pay me so I just sit back as they do their best to shout out bits of lung tissue...and try not to laugh. :laugh:

I think you're on the right track. :)

I've had bosses shout at me at work, but none of them have done it more than once. I'll stay calm and polite, but I can always feel my manner getting really icy if people shout abusively at me...whatever the setting, and whoever the person. Next time she does it, be neither intimidated nor impressed. Just think of her as some unruly, tantrum hurling toddler who could really do with a whack on the backside. She sounds like a bit of a pathetic character.

• 4 weeks later...

Angelina,

Reading your post - it could be me posting about my boss - I'm in the EXACT same situation. I'm 42 and my boss (a woman) is in her early 50's. It's just me and her in the office - with other staff out in the field.

Daily I endure this woman's abusive foul language, she hates her job, uses the "F" word about everyone and nothing I do pleases her. She is condescending and downright hateful to people. Friday I was exhausted from the work week and she started in on me from the minute I got to work until the minute I left. I went home in tears (and I'm a tough cookie - takes alot to make me have a meltdown!).

I've decided to quit - I can't win against her nor can I expect human resources to do anything - she's got more power.

I'm trying to work thru the month of September but she is pushing me. I refuse to be treated like this - I'm 42 for christ's sake - I've busted my ass too long to endure this crap from a boss.

I don't know if I'll even make it another four weeks. Every day is a day from hell - this woman thrives on sucking the life out of people. Luckily I have the financial means to quit but I wanted to get a couple more paychecks under my belt - but at this point - I'm ready to walk out on this witch and really give her something to blow a gasket over.

This woman is pathetic and evil. She said to me "My mom and my sister are bi-polar but I'm not". No - she's plain psycho!

• Author
Angelina1433

Jeannie, OMG! We are in the exact same situation. Except my boss doesn't use the F word, instead, she uses lofty language to make her sound like a dang thesaurus. I swear, the other day, she called me to tell me to call the person I emailed to clarify what I said in the email (that I copied her on). She restated exactly what I said, but in a more lofty manner. And of course, I felt about 2 inches tall.

What is with these women? And no, it's not that I can't work for women. I've worked for some fabulous women. It's just her. I've already asked for a transfer, but I don't think it's going to happen. Apparently, she hand picked me to be on her team. And yes, for some reason she has a ton of power, although I know for a fact that the higher ups are aware of her psychotic tendancies.

I'm so sorry that she's driven you to quit. But thank goodness you have income to fall back on. I can only wish you luck in your future endeavors, and keep my fingers crossed that you'll have a mentally stable boss :)