That horrible lying witch!

HokeyReligions

They haven't released my final paycheck yet, even though it was cut on July 12. We 'supposedly' left on good-terms (ha!) and I got a nasty, nasty "memorandum" from her today full of lies and gossip, which she wants me to sign in order to release my check. She has threatened to stop my unemployment compensation. I did not sign it of course and wrote a very strongly worded reply. I have documentation to support my reasons for leaving and she has only allegations! Legally she has to release my check on the next payday after my termination -- which is today. I'll go after her ass if she holds it up and I'll sue the whole damn company for punitive damages, cripe--I'm under a doctors care now for stress!

Talk about a horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE place to work! I copied her secretary (whom she also copied on the nastygram she sent) and the President on my reply. He may never see it because she checks his emails regularly and weeds out what she considers unnecessary. Oh, and she waited until almost 7:30pm to email me her nastygram!

It almost never ceases to surprise me how so many educated professional people can be so vindictive and petty! She thought by saying that it was 'verbalized' to her, I wouldn't recognize it as GOSSIP! She's using office gossip to base decisions -- even a first-time, no experience employee knows better than that!

Well, I reminded her of what she 'verbalized' to me in my exit interview! Gawd! I'm so glad to be gone from there! I'm not listing her as a reference and I hope no one calls her. She doesn't just have a stick up her butt, she has a whole forest--complete with giant size pinecones!

I am so worked up right now.

This too shall pass........

Hokey, settle down a bit.

After all, you have us, and we know where you're coming from. We have all had our battle, with the, "man"......

I'm too tired, worn out, and stressed myself to lift you up any higher tonite....the highlight of my day was watching, "Undercover Brother", or is it, "Undercova Brotha"......I can't remember, laughed my ass off!!

Sorry Hoke, but try not to think about those people anymore tonight, and try to get some rest. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life, your problems, and solutions will seem clearer in the morning......

<<<<<<<<<<<<< YAWWWWWWN>>>>>>>>>>>> Nite -_-___nite.........

Hi Hokey,

I'm a little dense tonight - I don't get it, what is this memo she wants you to sign that's filled w/ lies and gossip? I've never left a job and had to sign anything? Can you explain more about what this is (without giving specifics, of course) - is she wanting you to vouch, in writing, that some of your ex coworkers did/said things that were wrong and she's using you (and basically blackmailing you, over your last check) to somehow substantiate these claims?

Maybe because it's doubtful the President will get the "cc" of your email, you should print it off and send it by registered mail or courier - so you're assured he's received it, or would his secretary also screen it? Maybe you should add to the bottom of it:

cc: my attorney

I've done that before and it's sure got people to wake up!

Is there some kind of Labor Relations Board or Human Rights Commission or Labor Law Agency there that you could contact about how you've not received your last check, all this sh*t you're going through...............and get the name of whoever you've spoken with there, and ALSo include them in the "cc" of your letter.............

eg:

cc: my attorney,

Sam Jones (Labor Relations Board)

Joan Johnson (Human Rights Commission).

??

Or could you get a courier to "hand deliver" the letter to the President - then you know the secretary didn't ditch it? Not sure if this is possible. I just think that considering what a douchbag this woman has been to you, someone above her needs to know - would be hilarious if SHE got fired !

curiousnycgirl

I would hazard to guess that they are trying to get her to sign something that says she won't sue - but are somehow turning it around in total stupidity.

Firstly those committments not to sue do not hold up in court - unless you sue for wrongful termination after signing it. Almost any other lawsuit will be allowed.

Secondly I was going to say the same thing - in all future communications, copy a lawyer! Even if it's just a friend, because who wants to pay a lawyer right away - the name of the lawfirm will absolutely do the trick.

Third contact the National Labor Relations Board regarding this crap they want you to sign, since it truly sounds like crap. I would ask about the legality/legitimacy of withholding a paycheck unless you sign. Generally severance is withheld pending a signature - not compensation for work performed. IMHO that is NOT legal.

Finally I would also get them to confirm that your unemployment benefits cannot be withheld given your specific situation.

Good luck with it Hokey

Originally posted by curiousnycgirl

I would hazard to guess that they are trying to get her to sign something that says she won't sue - but are somehow turning it around in total stupidity.

Okay, thanks.....

Secondly I was going to say the same thing - in all future communications, copy a lawyer! Even if it's just a friend, because who wants to pay a lawyer right away - the name of the lawfirm will absolutely do the trick.

Can you do that, make up a bogus lawfirm name? My Dad used to tell me to do that when I was dealing with a nasty company I'd done business with and they were trying to rip me off - I wouldn't do it because I guess I thought that if they ever found out I'd made up the lawfirm, I'd have zero credibility and that my strongly-worded letter would mean nothing. So it's okay, really, to make up a bogus lawfirm?

A Fly onThe Wall
Originally posted by shygurl

Can you do that, make up a bogus lawfirm name? My Dad used to tell me to do that when I was dealing with a nasty company I'd done business with and they were trying to rip me off - I wouldn't do it because I guess I thought that if they ever found out I'd made up the lawfirm, I'd have zero credibility and that my strongly-worded letter would mean nothing. So it's okay, really, to make up a bogus lawfirm?

I think she meant if she had a friend that was a lawyer.. I agree making up a bogus e-mail wouldn't work as all they have to do is hit the .com to find out who it is. and they would

But pick a good local lawfirm on the web and possibly using an e-mail that was accurate might do the trick..

They would never know and the attorney would think the e-mail is being sent in error

I don't know what the laws in your state are, but I've been told that it's law in this state that an employer or ex employer may not give a negative report on an employee to anyone who calls for reference. They can give the date of hire and the date the person resigned, but that's about it. That's the law. I don't know that it's always followed, but I would imagine most employers are pretty careful about what they say. I'm sure they wouldn't want to get dragged into court.

Best of luck to you in the future...

A Fly onThe Wall
Originally posted by suegail

I don't know what the laws in your state are, but I've been told that it's law in this state that an employer or ex employer may not give a negative report on an employee to anyone who calls for reference.

It's not a law in any state but because of the threat of legal action the employers do not normally give out bad references.

Some states have employer immunity laws that can protect them from the legal action from giving a bad reference but all do not .. It's the threat that keeps the employer in line

• Author
HokeyReligions

Arg! I signed an exit paper stating that I did not have any company property and I would not divulge any company "secrets". The memo was just something that she wrote and is not a legal employment document.

I checked with the Department of Labor and they have to pay me for work done on the next scheduled payday after termination -- which was Friday the 15th.

What she is trying to get me to do is sign a statement saying that I deliberatly sabotaged my job to get fired so I could receive unemployment benefits, which would of course keep me from the benefits. She is basing this on office gossip from her stoolies who make up stuff.

Part of the letter I wrote in reply is:

[color=blue]I will not sign your memorandum because it is nothing more than a thinly veiled and mean-spirited attempt to regain employee respect and quell the office gossip, of which I am sure you are aware; nor does it reflect in any way what we discussed in my exit interview. I will, however, sign the Employee Exit Information Sheets.

Since today is the next scheduled payday from my termination date I expect that my last paycheck was mailed to me today.

When I left on Friday, July 8th I had hoped it was on good terms – as you clearly stated to me during my exit interview. However, your memorandum to me today is typical of the communication problems I experienced while at AMS. Had I been close to as horrible an employee as you allege in the memo, I doubt that my original contract would have been extended, nor would I have worked two weeks past the expiration of my extension. Had an accurate description of the position been portrayed to me in the initial interview I would not have accepted the position, and that may be why there is such a high turn-over in that position. [/color]

She didn't send her nastygram to me until late in the evening on Friday and mine didn't go back to her until about 10:30pm (because I had to reword it a few times!) but I know she checks her email from home, as does the President who I bcc'd. I'm not worried about him getting the letter--I don't care. I'm not concerned about references from that company either---I was only there 4 1/2 months and I have great references from people I worked for much longer. She might be vindictive enough to try and block future employment by way of a bad reference, but she has nothing to substantiate her claims (I DO have some documentation because I copied my home email on a lot of stuff and made copies of my own just in case something like this happened).

On another note -- the hits just keep coming. They are moving my mom to a nursing home today. I need to be there and follow her over, but early this morning the power went out to the house. The power company came out and said that if the problem is in the line from the house to the fence it is our responsibility to have it dug up and replaced. If its from the fence to the pole it is their responsibility. Thank goodness it seems to be from the fence to the pole, but we will be without power for most of the day -- maybe all weekend. Plus, it may have fried our air conditioner! We have a home warranty and if its their faulty power lines we have some recourse, but it could take a long time to get that resolved. Just love the stress!

Thanks everyone for letting me vent. This is just tooooo much now!

soccorsilly

Careful on the emails you sent home--they could be considered company property.

Most employers will not give out references for fear of saying something wrong and a subsequent lawsuit. Typically date of hire and departure, Position, and perhaps final pay level. I usually get around that by asking if they are eligible for re-hire and that usually tells me all I need to know.

Hoke--your letter sounded good to me, I hope you get your check, cash it and just move on and take care of your mom!

• Author
HokeyReligions

Yay! The power company put a temporary fix on the line and we have power now! We were without for 7.5 hours. Luckily its been rainy and early so we didn't have the hot houston sun bearing down on us, although the humidity is very high. We arranged for the ambulance to take mom over to the nursing home at 4pm today.

My FIL called and he wants me to file harrassment/slander charges against the company and sue them for millions. I'm not going there. I've moved on, I don't know why they can't. It reminds me of some of the relationship problems people post about. After the breakup one side can't let go and seems to feel they need to be spiteful and vindictive.

I'm soooo glad I'm not there anymore! There are a few good people there, none of them in positions of authority. They let another person go last week - I wonder if they will do the same to her? I feel bad for her because she just got a divorce and moved herself and her kids to a new condo she just bought to be close to the job, and she bought a new car a few months ago. Now she's unemployed too.

We all have our problems, don't we?

This is incredible. Where I live (UK) statutory provisions hold that a compromise agreement is unenforceable unless the employee received advice from an independent legal adviser before signing it. The employer pays the independent adviser's fee. So if someone signed an agreement not to take action against their employer, but didn't receive independent advice, then the agreement wouldn't be capable of preventing them from raising an action later on.

People often assume that their employers are taking the correct legal action when in actual fact a lot of them haven't got much of a clue about the extent of their employees' rights. Employment law is more complicated than people imagine, and it's a constantly changing area. Get advice from an attorney on this. Definitely. It might not be as expensive as you think - and if the situation in the US is the same as it is here, it could actually be something your employer has to pay for...given that there's a compromise agreement involved. Even if it isn't, you need to get this situation with your pay sorted out. :mad:

• Author
HokeyReligions

I got a response from "It". My check has been mailed. She is playing all innocent and said as far as she was concerned we did part on good terms! LOLOL! If those are her Good terms I'd hate to see her bad terms! Then she scolded me for sending my comments in an email and not face-to-face as though she were still my supervisor. It pissed her off that her secretary saw what I wrote! Well, her secretary saw what she wrote to me so all I did was Reply to All! What a piece of work she is! She told me to call her and make an appointment to come in and discuss these matters with her. As if! Control Freak doesn't begin to describe this pathetic woman.

I'm actually enjoying this now -- its great to have an outlet for my stress!

too bad you can't pop her on a harassment charge. Because that's exactly what it sounds like she's doing here, then hiding being her job as she claims she want to make things go smoothly.

Then she scolded me for sending my comments in an email and not face-to-face as though she were still my supervisor. It pissed her off that her secretary saw what I wrote! Well, her secretary saw what she wrote to me so all I did was Reply to All!

you showed her, the hussy!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Author
HokeyReligions

After the catastrophy today with the nursing home (too long of a rant even for me! suffice it to say that I have filed a complaint and I have an attorney I'm calling tomorrow) I may be the one who screwed myself out of my unemployment. Today was the day I was supposed to report in! It's almost 1AM and I just realized it.

Sheesh!