Having Dilemma Pleasing Many Bosses

Raindrop100

Hi I am in quite a difficult situation now.

I am on this new job for almost a month. The arrangement during the interview and my first week of work was that I need to report to General Manager (local) and a Group Finance Manager (in Overseas Headquarter). Before I came on board, there is a Finance and Admin Manager (FAM) who oversees all Finance, Operation and Admin matters. My Group Finance Manager (GFM) has made it clear to him that I will only report all financial relating matters to my GFM and GM.

However, the FAM doesn't seem to be able to accept the fact. He has a very bad reputation for being very bad tempered towards almost everybody. Now he tried to be better and tried to instruct me "to do things" for him.I don't mind if I have free time.

But the fact is that this month my team is very tied up with month/quarter-end and consolidated reporting. My company is a new start-up company and the management has just decided that we will conduct 4 Finance meeting bi-weekly and my GM "expected me to present key financial figures in all these meeting". The FAM will attend the meeting too.

He started to ask me to do "extra things" for him so that he has something to present during the meeting. For example, my team has been doing cashflow forecast for next three months and he asked me to do a 6 months forecast for him so that he has "something different" from mine to present during the Cashflow Meeting. If he has covered for next 6 months (not his own effort to do up the report though), it may sound meaningless for me to present a 3 months forecast in the same meeting.

My another two concerns are:-

(1) My team is quite weak and we are rather short-handed. I don't want to stress them unnecessarily;and,

(2) In my Key Result Area and Key Performance Indicator, I have promised my GM to come out with a few major improvements which will be due by Sep end. As such, I am quite overloaded as I need to check my team members' work in great details (they are still very weak) and at the same time, to fulfill my promises to GM by Sep. I practically have not much time to do "extra work" for the FAM especially when I don't really report to him.

I am thinking to discuss this issue with my GM directly and turn my FAM down tactfully. But how should I put it in a nice way? Or do you guys have a better idea? :rolleyes: