SixthSt.Girl

I applied for a retail management job a few months ago. I thought I'd never hear back from them because I went to an open interview thinking there would be full-time - she asked me if part-time was ok, but I said it just depends on how many hours it is and/or if I could do a second job along with it. I got an impression that there was just a part-time associate job that's available, but I found out at this last interview that there is a pt associate manager's job. There is also a good chance for advancement, since one of the managers is leaving.

I've been re-considering doing retail lately. I thought it was what I wanted to do, but it's so sales oriented nowadays, and I'm not really a people person. That is why I'm worried about my reference from my current job. I am dependable and trustworthy - my boss has told me that, but I've heard that he also said he wishes I was more aggresive (I work in sales). But, I thought if I got this job, I'd get some money to go back to school to do what I really think I'd like - paralegal/legal assisting. I took career tests, which all said I was a great match for that line of work. I haven't been applying for retail at all lately - it was a strange coincidence that this came up when I had just about given up. She said there is a really good chance that I would get it, as there are only a couple other people she knows of (and two pt manager positions). Usually, if I get a second interview, I get the job - she even said that they're only calling back people they really like, and that I did great at both interviews. She said basically if my references check out, they should be calling me Friday. Well, I haven't heard anything yet, and I'm starting to get nervous. I know that they liked me a lot, and the only thing I'm thinking of is bad references. My past employers should be ok, but my current boss is kind of fickle. I was hoping they'd talk to the manager who knows about all of this and would give me a good reference. My boss is out a lot, so I either gave them the store # or his cell phone #. I forget which. I don't think he knows about this last interview - I wasn't intentionally keeping it from him. I just don't see him much anymore, and was waiting until I knew for sure. Though, I know the manager has received no calls about the job. It's a little late now, but I was wondering if it would be tacky to, in the future, call my references and test the waters. Usually, I give school and personal references, but a lot of the time, they want to speak to my employers. I just want to know where I stand - I know I'm not a perfect match for this job, but I do think it would be fun. I'd hate to not get it because of references. She said that if I didn't get a call Friday, that I could call Mon to see what's up. I'd like to call because if I made a fatal mistake, I'd like to know. Would it be acceptable to call both my references and the prospective employer?

Call and ask if you're still being considered for the position. If the person informs you that the position has been filled ask them if they would mind giving you some interview pointers and what areas caused concern so that you can improve your skills.

Ditto Pocky,

Also, its a good idea to talk to each of your references before you go and apply for jobs or give out their names and numbers. Most employers will not call people you have not told them to call because they realize that you may be looking for work and your current employer not know about it.