Finding it impossible to work with colleague..

HumanMachine

Without going into too much detail, hopefully the following bullet points will paint the picture-

Boss hires someone with zero relevant experience/qualifications

They’ve worked together previously at a different firm

New person is incredibly annoying; constantly talking, shouting, starting conversations when people are clearly busy working, poor mannerisms, ‘acting’ dumb to be funny, uses street slang words.

I speak to my boss about new person, he proceeds to have a chat with all other team members APART from her.. to have a word about the noise level..

On top of all this new person hasn’t been quiet about how much they is being paid, this information has found its way back to me and I am incredibly insulted. They earns slightly less (1k!!!) than me despite my years of experience and various qualifications.

I am finding myself more focused on blocking her out (by using headphones) than concentrating on my work, which in my field I need to be fully focused 100% of the time.

I actually enjoyed my job before she arrived but it looks like my only solution is to find employment elsewhere..

Happy Lemming

I actually enjoyed my job before she arrived but it looks like my only solution is to find employment elsewhere..

You hit the nail on the head... Time for a change.

There are a lot of advantages to changing employment. First and foremost your resume' doesn't look stagnant. If you stay at one place too long, some potential employers think you are one-sided, stagnant and unable to accept new and different challenges.

If you have been at your present job for 3 or more years, then its actually a good time to make a change.

The present firm is going to continue to go downhill with this new individual. She is seeking attention and your boss is letting her get away with it. The situation is only going to get worse and your disdain for your job will grow.

Every time, I changed jobs I got a better position with new and unique challenges that I overcame. Thus, I thrived. Every time, I changed jobs my salary increased, which allowed me the opportunity to retire early.

There is no down side to changing jobs. New and better firm! You expand your resume'! Unique & different challenges! You make more money! You are happier, as you are free from the unprofessional "attention girl"!

I say "GO FOR IT"... Polish up your resume' and make a change!!

• Author
HumanMachine

I’ve only worked at this firm for 16 months.. anything less than 24 may look suspicious. No harm in getting the CV back out there!

Thank you for your post, have a great day!

Happy Lemming
I’ve only worked at this firm for 16 months.. anything less than 24 may look suspicious. No harm in getting the CV back out there!

Thank you for your post, have a great day!

Hmmm... that is a tough one. Yes, I agree with you, less than 24 months will look bad. It makes you look like you are "job jumping".

I guess you could always explain to a potential employer that your duties (at the present job) changed and that is why you made a change only 16 months into it. I wouldn't bring up "attention girl", though.

Are there any "head hunters" for your type of work?? I've used a "head hunter" each time I wanted to make a change and let her explain away anything questionable on my resume'. She had a knack for moving me around to the right position that fit my wants and needs.

healing light

I just read this post to my friend sitting next to me and she said, "It's who you know and who you blow!"

Sounds like your boss hired her for reasons other than her work. Sorry to hear. It happens.

• Author
HumanMachine
Hmmm... that is a tough one. Yes, I agree with you, less than 24 months will look bad. It makes you look like you are "job jumping".

I guess you could always explain to a potential employer that your duties (at the present job) changed and that is why you made a change only 16 months into it. I wouldn't bring up "attention girl", though.

Are there any "head hunters" for your type of work?? I've used a "head hunter" each time I wanted to make a change and let her explain away anything questionable on my resume'. She had a knack for moving me around to the right position that fit my wants and needs.

It’s such a shame as this role is perfect for my professional progression but I simply cannot cope with being in the same office as this person any longer. I am struggling to sleep and it’s the first thing I think about when I wake up.

My role isn’t prestigious or senior so moving to a similar role in a different company shouldn’t be too difficult.

Thanks again for your comments.. in an hour I will be at work and i’m absolutely dreading it, contemplating phoning in sick..

She sounds quite a lot like the person we recently fired or 'made redundant'. A huge change of structure and a lot of forethought in a technicality in title change enabled us to have a replacement.

She walked me into the department the first day some 10 years ago and the second I saw her I got a bad vibe. I was never proved wrong.

The only real advice I can offer:

Keep your head down.

Listen to the dullest music - even sea or storm sounds - to enable you to focus.

Keep a journal and write things down each night - writing them rather than typing them will get them off your chest more.

Get into some relaxation exercises -feeling like that each morning is doing you no good at all. There is another woman at work who used to harass me. I complained to HR but they did nothing so I had to stop her myself. We now have a new HR manager who, once she found out said there was no way she would have left it up to me. But, at one point and for a long while I used to feel exactly like you do each morning. The only way at that time was for me to look after myself - and I did by employing the suggestions I've written here.

Essentially take the focus off her and put it back into you and your work and make sure you have yourself looked after and your sanity covered.

• Author
HumanMachine

Thank you Gemma I really appreciate your post.

Unfortunately her voice is rather piercing so I have to have my music fairly loud, and be listening to something heavy. (This can’t be good for my hearing long term surely!)

Every time I have left the office today she has opened the blinds behind my desk (I sit with my back to the window - she doesn’t) so the sun shines on my screen.. every time I have to shut them. This person is OLDER than me!!

My recruiters have already sent over a couple of roles local to me.. :)

Snezhaspofs

Доброго времени суток! Разве Вы паки не определились с выбором, вот несколько причин исполнять поручение именно у нас: Шторы в Сочи Изысканные ткани в изящном исполнении — это наша работа, и мы в ней профессионалы. Наш бизнес семейный, является делом жизни, и мы дорожим своей репутацией. Мы объединили абсолютно разных людей чтобы создания красивых вещей. Мы не останавливаемся для достигнутом и ежеминутно оттачиваем мастерство, совершенствуем навыки. Своей работой мы создаем положительную энергетику пространства, беспричинно будто наш дело наполнен усердием, вниманием и мастерством исполнения. Мы навсегда помним, что человек и человеческие отношения важнее самых дорогих вещей. Выше сайт:https://anturage-tex.ru

Unfortunately age is no indicator as to whether someone is considerate or respectful to the ways others work or needs they have.

For the blinds thing - well - I would just say something. It doesn't need to come over as argumentative at all but it's best addressed soon. It may not have been an issue 2 weeks ago but the earth moves so the sun hits at different angles all the time.

If you can't see your screen you should say so.

Most companies you work for will have people like this or people who are difficult in different ways - that's just life.

If she is the only problem here though then think carefully about leaving based upon annoyance.

If she is as bad as you say then others will make complaints or not entertain her so things could well change or settle down.

Just don't climb out of the frying pan into the fire as you don't know whether there is someone or several people in your next job who are worse to deal with.

Ultimately it depends upon whether you like the job, what the job will do for your career, what damage it may do to your cv.

We did fire one lady who was similar but there were a whole host much more significant reasons. The rest we learned to live with in our different ways.

Happy Lemming

My recruiters have already sent over a couple of roles local to me.. :)

Great News!!

Wishing you good luck, that your recruiter will find you the perfect position.

My recruiter/head hunter is worth her weight in gold!!

Blue skies...