How to handle work best friend leaving

So my closet work friend is leaving at the end of the week. I can’t believe how much this is bothering me, but I am actually at the point of considering leaving because they were a big part of why I loved my job so much. I. Is this a normal feeling and will it ever pass? I did have one interview for a job that would be better pay, better opportunities to learn things, but a horrible schedule. - There is another job I interviewed for that I am really excited about, but I won’t find out for a week or two. What should I do? Should I take the better paying job knowing the hours will be horrible, hold out for the one I am excited about, or give it time to see if this feeling goes away? - I’m really upset about this. It’s to the point to where I don’t even want to go to work anymore because I know it’s just going to depress me. Sorry for the weird formatting. Apparently my phone doesn’t like this website.

You need to get over it. Just because they're leaving doesn't mean you can't still be friends -- if you're really friends and not just work friends. There's no reason for you to get emotional and quit a perfectly good job! It's unprofessional.

What are you going to tell the interviewer, "I left because my bestie left?"

And you shouldn't let anyone at work see you being upset about this either. It's unprofessional. I can tell you it won't be appreciated. I took over an office one time and the former boss had a crush on this young girl there and gave her her first job (that one) and let her do nothing. So she had no idea what "work" was. When I got there, she was literally crying because he left. It was a ridiculous display.

Be mature about this. Call and take your friend to dinner or something but keep all that out of the office.

• Like 1
  • Author
You need to get over it. Just because they're leaving doesn't mean you can't still be friends -- if you're really friends and not just work friends. There's no reason for you to get emotional and quit a perfectly good job! It's unprofessional.

What are you going to tell the interviewer, "I left because my bestie left?"

And you shouldn't let anyone at work see you being upset about this either. It's unprofessional. I can tell you it won't be appreciated. I took over an office one time and the former boss had a crush on this young girl there and gave her her first job (that one) and let her do nothing. So she had no idea what "work" was. When I got there, she was literally crying because he left. It was a ridiculous display.

Be mature about this. Call and take your friend to dinner or something but keep all that out of the office.

When I am asked why I am looking for something else I tell them the truth (partly). I have wanted a career that offers new opportunities and room to advance, but I’ve stayed at my current one because it was decent enough and I had someone to make the work day not as unpleasant there. And if I want to be quiet and focus on my work and clients and doing the best job I can -well if someone wants to tell me that’s unprofessional they can get over it. I’m not required to make small talk or gossip with anyone. I’m there to do my job and do the best I can. It’s just depressing that someone who I’ve had there for me since I’ve started won’t be there every day to make crappy days. Or so bad.

CautiouslyOptimistic

Sorry your friend is leaving :(. When I left my last job, I was leaving some of my closest friends and I was a wreck during my 4 week notice. I had to leave work early some days because I could not stop crying. :( So professional, huh?

But we're still friends, thanks to it being 2018 and having social media. I'm sure you'll still stay friends.

With that said, maybe your friend leaving was the push you needed to get your rear in gear to start looking for something else?

• Like 1
  • Author
Sorry your friend is leaving :(. When I left my last job, I was leaving some of my closest friends and I was a wreck during my 4 week notice. I had to leave work early some days because I could not stop crying. :( So professional, huh?

But we're still friends, thanks to it being 2018 and having social media. I'm sure you'll still stay friends.

With that said, maybe your friend leaving was the push you needed to get your rear in gear to start looking for something else?

. There is no judgment about your crying. Coworkers sometimes become extremely close and it’s depressing when someone you used to be able to talk to everyday and could trust is not going to be there. I think everyone needs at least one person at work who they are close to. And them leaving is definitely giving me motivation to look elsewhere.
  • Like 1