Writing a cover letter?

Those of you that responded to my other thread know that I am desperate to make more money. So, thanks to the help of Tiki I have began the process of finding a new job. Unfortunately, all the good paying jobs are located out of town. I am willing to travel the 45 min. drive to and from work everyday if the pay is good. Hopefully, the gas prices will go down soon. Anyways, I have found two jobs that I'm really interested in. The ad says to fax my resume and a cover letter. The problem is I have never had to write a cover letter and don't know what to do.

How is it formatted?

What do I say?

Do I tell them I need the job?

Someone help!

soccorsilly

I am responding to your Elm Street News ad for a salesperson because the position offers the opportunity to act on a very firm conviction of mine: that every business is a service business and, to succeed, must address the distinct needs of each customer.

The ability to deliver high-quality, responsive service is vital in the travel industry and that’s exactly what you’ll get when you hire me.

My resume, which is enclosed, details my background. Although I have been out of the workforce for several years, I have hardly been idle. As a hospital volunteer, president of the PTA, wife, and mother, I have dealt with a wide variety of people. In every case, I assess the individual’s needs and how to address them most effectively.

As a very active consumer, I am well aware of the importance of prompt, attentive serviceand painfully aware that it is rare these days. If you’re looking for a hard worker and quick learner to provide superior service and to promote customer satisfaction, you’ve found one.

I hope you’ll give me call at (425) 555-0177 so that we can meet. Thank you for this opportunity to discuss my qualifications.

Sincerely,

A mutual acquaintance, David Jaffe, recommended that I contact you regarding a possible sales opportunity with Fabrikam, Inc. I have taken the liberty of enclosing my resume for your review. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

I now realize that I have been missing my calling. I am a strong sales professional with solid technical skills, but I have not been selling technical products. As sales manager for Contoso, Ltd., I must have sent two dozen people to your company to purchase your cellular phone (and they bought it!), after they saw the slick phone that I use, which I purchased from you.

Now here’s the irony: I get more excited promoting your phones than I have ever gotten from promoting anything I’ve ever sold, and I’ve been successful in all my sales endeavors. This is why I would like to pursue a sales position with Fabrikam, Inc.

I have more than 20 years of successful sales experience. I offer you the following:

• A strong closer; excellent cold-canvassing and market development skills

• A professional demeanor

• A strong network of contacts

• Enthusiasm and high energy

Although my resume is quite detailed, it cannot fully profile the manner in which I have been successful. This can only be accomplished in a face-to-face meeting where we can exchange information and examine whether there might be mutual interest. I will call you in the coming week to arrange an interview. Again, I thank you for your time and consideration, and I look forward to meeting with you soon.

Sincerely,

YAY!!! I'm so proud of you! Hope the links helped! ;)

Your resume should say it all, IMO. Your cover sheet (a fax cover sheet) is easy-breezy. Mine has my name, contact info (address, email, home and cell#), the fax #, the date and time. I simply state to please review my resume for X position and call me with further questions.

I'm so proud of you. I hope you can find something. I've been emailing a large majority of my resumes, faxing only a few.