In the midst of career dilemma, how to choose?

I'm 30 and worked in the international trade industry for past 7 years. This career has paid off well financially I'm doing well. However, I don't enjoy what I do but don't hate it, I sit in front of a computer all day doing documentation etc. I've had the feeling I am meant to work doing something else helping ppl. I have a passion for psychology, human behavior, I read books on this as a hobby. I been told I make a great counselor, therapist, friends always come to me for advise and I enjoy it. I've thought about going back to school for my masters but it would mean start all over again.

Recently, two job openings are happening and I'm being interviewed for both. One is with another international trader in sales , higher pay, more potential. Another one with working as a college advisor for first generation college students I know the folks of this job from college times, I have to take a 10k paycut for this one but I do get 70% off college tuition if I want to get a masters. I find myself confused on how to take this decision. I am very ambitious in nature so giving up a job that has more earning potential is hard, at the same time I would probably feel more fulfilled doing something I enjoy more. Or would I? If you have been in this place before, if you are older and have advise. Greatly appreciated it.

Do a pros & cons list but remember they say if you love what you do, you will never work a day in your life.

idrather_hidemyname

I guess it all depends where your ambition is pointing at. Is this ambition to earn more money, or to improve in something you're passionate about?

Both are valid points, but in which one do you picture yourself happier at? and at what timescale?

all the best

You're young. Why don't you try the college advisor position for a year and see how you like it? You can always return to international trade if it doesn't work out.

My vote: Chase your dreams.

Let me tell you, money is not everything. If you have no passion for it, then don't do it. Your job has given you financial stability for the past 7 years. It's about time you follow what you want even though there's a pay cut. Many people in this world are able to live with $400 a month. A 10k pay cut is nothing bad.

• Author

Thank you everyone, you all have some very good valid points on this topic. I still don't know which offer I will get after interviewing but alot think about and decide.

NikitaErogs

Немало разглядывал содержание сети, при этом к своему восторгу увидел лучший сайт. Вот посмотрите: продвижение в гугле . Для меня этот ресурс показался довольно привлекательным. Всего доброго!