Disturbing...new boss's new boss's unethical behavior

As a newly hired fed. employee, I read the mandatory Code of Ethics. it specifically mentioned one should not use his position to influence the hiring process.

the a new director came around the same time as me. In all the couple of meetings he has had with us, he pushed my manager and another senior person on the team (only 3 of us now, but on the process of hiring more).to hire someone who was recommended to him by someone he trusts(who knows exactly is the situation). My team are reluctant. The senior person said the person doesn't have the education. We are a technical team.

It seems I get along very well with the manager and the senior person. It's none of my business as I am a newbie. I am just wondering if my manager and the senior will be pressured into it.

so I was just trained/read about the ethic behaviors and the complaint and escalation mechanisms in the fed. So nobody actually practice it?

just disturbing that's all and think life is so unfair. there are so many highly educated people hard to find a job. and me applied for years and went through all the processes. and now someone comes along without spending years in education, years in work experience and years in applying and went through all these processes? all he has is knowing the right person?

I am 'jealous' and dislike this.

Edited by Springsummer

This sort of crap goes on everywhere, favoritism, croni-ism. Only creating a panel for new hires would do any good and maybe not even then if he hand-picked the panel. Is there any HR department? Do they have the anonymous hotline? You could put a bug in their ear but only if you don't think they'd suspect you. HR would know.

• Like 2
  • Author
This sort of crap goes on everywhere, favoritism, croni-ism. Only creating a panel for new hires would do any good and maybe not even then if he hand-picked the panel. Is there any HR department? Do they have the anonymous hotline? You could put a bug in their ear but only if you don't think they'd suspect you. HR would know.

he is not so high up there to be able to hand-picked the panel, I think. there are quite some directors in the branch and about them are a few general director and then is the CTO. and then there are a number of branches in the dept. all the mechanisms are there for this sort of thing. the problem is if anyone is willing to do it.

I trust my team members know what to do. I have more concerns in my life than I have time for. I just need to vent a little and wonder what you people think of this sort of things to help me to process. Thanks for the opinion.

Preraph's right, cronyism goes on in all spheres of business, along with nepotism, and favoritism, and other unpleasant 'isms. Apart from the obvious fact that hiring an unqualified person is blatantly unfair, there are other factors to consider. One is that if the person doesn't have the necessary training there is a reasonable chance that other staff will end up carrying at least part of their workload and propping up an inadequate performance, and there will be ensuing resentment, so it becomes a staff morale issue, (eg: You're already a bit peeved about it, and it's not jealousy, it's a perfectly justified resentment). Also, with hiring buddies there's a risk of an 'us vs them' culture developing and 'them' taking over. Basically, hiring friends or family is a foolish thing to do unless they're properly qualified and a genuine asset to the company.

• Like 1
  • Author
Preraph's right, cronyism goes on in all spheres of business, along with nepotism, and favoritism, and other unpleasant 'isms. Apart from the obvious fact that hiring an unqualified person is blatantly unfair, there are other factors to consider. One is that if the person doesn't have the necessary training there is a reasonable chance that other staff will end up carrying at least part of their workload and propping up an inadequate performance, and there will be ensuing resentment, so it becomes a staff morale issue, (eg: You're already a bit peeved about it, and it's not jealousy, it's a perfectly justified resentment). Also, with hiring buddies there's a risk of an 'us vs them' culture developing and 'them' taking over. Basically, hiring friends or family is a foolish thing to do unless they're properly qualified and a genuine asset to the company.

It will be the tax payers who foot the bill. and once hired, it's extremely hard to get rid of a gov. employee, no matter how incompetent he is.

yes, I am worry about sharing responsibilities and how it will impact me and the team as well. oh, well, I really need to stop worrying about things.

• Like 1