LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Someone complained to my boss that I don't work enough hours

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By d0nnivain
  • 1 Post By Elswyth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th February 2018, 11:57 AM   #1

Someone complained to my boss that I don't work enough hours

I am a full time worker and our company has flexible work time and I choose to work 11am-7pm unless I have an early morning meeting. I also work on weekends from home when the time of year demands it without getting payed for overtime. I figured that's my way of rewarding flexibility with my flexibility.

Most of the other employees have families so chose to start earlier and go home early. There is nobody around after 5pm so nobody sees when I leave.

I have been working at this place for 6 years and those were always my hours. People joked over time about me liking to sleep in but it never seemed malicious.

My boss works in a separate building so he doesn't know when people are present/absent. Anyway, someone recently complained to my boss that I come to work late every day and leave early (not true). My boss never actually asked me about it but a friend and co-worker said it was discussed during a meeting with higher ups. Apparantely he was asking people around when I come/leave work.

I feel panicked because there is no evidence that I stay till 7pm every day. I am also upset that my boss didn't just ask me but he tends to be conflict avoidant. I have sent him an e-mail outlining that I heard someone complained and wanted to say that I do come late in the morning but also stay late etc. I also asked him if he had a preference for me to work 9-5 and I will happily oblige.

He never responded. I am kind of worried in how much trouble I am in.
wonerwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2018, 12:04 PM   #2
Established Member

Can you do something at work with a time stamp to prove you were there? When I worked late for people who cared about the hours of my comings & goings, I always made sure to make a phone call late so there was evidence I was in the building. If you work on a computer, the computer logs will show when you are there. I'd send an nightly email to the boss from your desk if it's that important to you to verify your times. Also consider asking the boss to install a time clock so nobody can lie about their attendance.
anika99 likes this.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2018, 12:11 PM   #3
Established Member

Curious how there is no evidence that you are working, yet work hours appears to be an important thing in your job. If it was so important to your higher-ups, surely they would have devised a method of checking the number of hours that employees work?

What do you do in your job? It sounds like an office job, so... are there really no emails sent, files changed, logs made, etc etc? If you use a computer, the IT department will have logs of when you are signed in and signed out.

I guess personally I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially if you have the results to prove it. I have never believed in using number of hours as a measure of employee performance (and especially not specific hours!) and have never cared about it for the people working under me.
Old 7th February 2018, 6:54 PM   #4
Established Member

Believe me, if your boss is interested in knowing what time you come and go, he can look at activity on your computer, assuming you use one. Also he may or may not have security cameras.
Old 7th February 2018, 7:07 PM   #5

That's a good point. I have times when I logged out recorded.

I guess I find it weird that my boss didn't go that route but asked co-workers behind my back instead.

I also never got the impression that strict hours are that important in my job. I find this whole thing weird. I worry that they are trying to build a case to get rid off me somehow because it doesn't make much sense otherwise.

Last edited by wonerwoman; 7th February 2018 at 7:13 PM..
wonerwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2018, 7:40 PM   #6
Established Member

Maybe he didn't ask them but one is out to get you and went to him so he verified with others.
preraph is offline   Reply With Quote