Does my manager want me out?

Hi all,

I'm going to keep this short & conscise.

I've been at my company for two years now. I have a postgraduate degree and two bachelor degrees from two top universities. I speak 4 languages (which is partially why I was recruited in my current job). My previous jobs consisted of corporate finance-related analysis for consultancy companies.

Two years ago, I joined another financial institution where I work a job that only requires a Bachelor degree and no work experience prior. I've received good feedback from senior management multiple times throughout these two years (which I was told was rarely seen). The senior manager sits abroad and I work for their team. I have a line manager locally who is in middle-management. The middle-manager is not the one who hired me, she became manager a few months ago.

I thought I would get promoted this year, after my positive reviews and my commitment. I did not.

About two weeks ago, my local manager told me she doesn't see me in the long run in this job as I would get "bored". She said I can be extremely successful and have a leader mindset, but thence shall start looking at my options inside the institution. Consequently, she said she'd like me to think about the following two options:

- Look for another position internally in line with my true credentials.

- Request a transfer to possibly the office where the manager I work for is located.

She said I need to think about it seriously as this is going to affect my targets for the year, since those targets will be significantly different.

Again, we spoke two days ago. She said: "Have you started thinking about this?". I said, not really. She told me: "Please think about it seriously, because I don't want you staying stuck here when you can do so much better. You're better than what you are currently doing and I'm sure you will be very successful. You need to make the right choice. Of course, if a real opportunity for advancement would present itself in this department, it would be great but it's not a sure fire thing".

She said there is no point in working to get me promoted because the job will basically remain the same with no real additional responsibilities (it is true).

It is true that my manager abroad had hinted at a potential move at some stage, but she hasn't spoken about it since, so I'm not sure why my local manager would bring this up. She's not even aware of this conversation I had.

Bear in mind that I am a one person team, so if I move elsewhere, they are stuck. This position was vacant for years and had a lot of turnover due to people finding it too demanding.

Now, I would like to understand what is going on. Does she really have my best interest at heart or is she seeking to push me out?

I find it hard to believe a manager would say: You're better than this.

I need some advice.

Thank you.

I find it hard to believe a manager would say: You're better than this.

I think that's just good management. It only makes sense for the health and growth of the company to promote good people.

Pretend you own a fast food restaurant. Your dishwasher is a really great worker and he has a degree so he's overqualified for the position he's in. You like him. You know he would do well in a management position. You also know that if he finds a better job elsewhere, he'll take it and you'll be out a good dishwasher plus a potentially good manager. Why wouldn't you, as the boss, be like, "You can do better so let's get you something better."

And, sure, there's always a possibility that she's trying to get you out of there for underhanded reasons, but so what? If it ultimately benefits you, what's the problem?

Why are you questioning her motives? Does she have a history of not liking you or being shady?

Does she really have my best interest at heart or is she seeking to push me out?
I confess I had your same feeling that she might be trying to make your way out, by leveraging your career aspirations. There's a chance she's genuine, but the sudden pressure is weird, also, no one else talked to you about any possible move. You didn't receive any formal written offer for any other position within the company.

So I think the best thing to do for you would be talking to this middle manager, saying you don't know your options within the company, and would like to contact your manager abroad to evaluate things further and cc HRs. If she tells you not to do it, then you have any reason to be doubtful about what she's saying. If she's OK with it, then you write an e-mail saying that, although you are happy with your current role within the company, Ms. (middle manager's name) is suggesting that you would be a better fit in a higher position, and you want to make sure you can contribute as best as you can to reach the company's goals (something along those lines).

This way you'd be making sure there's no secret agenda going on behind your back.

Excalibur1814

One thing... When a manager asks you to do something, even if they state that it doesn't have to be done 'now' they really do MEAN, "Do it now!"

When she asked you again, being a reminder as to do what she asks, you have limited time to action the request. Time is ticking and an answer will be expected.

If you can find something that benefits YOU then go for it. Do not think of the company.

• Author
One thing... When a manager asks you to do something, even if they state that it doesn't have to be done 'now' they really do MEAN, "Do it now!"

When she asked you again, being a reminder as to do what she asks, you have limited time to action the request. Time is ticking and an answer will be expected.

If you can find something that benefits YOU then go for it. Do not think of the company.

This is not an assignment. This is a life-altering decision. She does not get to decide when I should make a decision which also alters my personal life. My apologies, but I do not see it like this.