do you prefer land-lines to mobile phones when it comes to having to trust somebody you do not know well?

land lines have to match addresses, see, they have area codes, but mobiles do not quite pass this lil security test of mine...

any thoughts?

I haven't had a landline for 10+ years and I'm typical..

Most younger generation people will never have a landline.. only a mobile so only trusting people with landlines is going to really cut into who you trust.. mostly really old people and people who got sucked into the landline plan is all you could trust if you only trust a landline.

So I wouldn't trust a landline over a mobile just because it can be tied to an address, there should be other things you can use to tell if a person is telling the truth about who they are.

Many companies today give their employees a cell as the main contact point for customers...

CautiouslyOptimistic

I have a landline because it was required as part of a bundle, but the ringer is off and I don't even know the number. I don't use it at all. I don't even think the phone works.

There isn't a lot of choice in the matter these days....most people don't use landlines unless they live in an area with poor cell reception.

• Like 1

Yes ----- I have a landline and use it every day. I don't like cell phones!

Landlines are more secure. I also have a wired phone.

• Like 1

I do most of my calls via landline. I have all types of security measures set up on it, one of which isn't working unfortunately, including screening anyone who doesn't have a caller ID. I don't see any point in talking to a stranger before going out with them if they don't have their caller ID working. Remember that's an option they chose, not an accident.

Happy Lemming

I use VOIP [Voice over internet protocol]... My "magicjack" was quite inexpensive ($99 for 5 years) and I prefer a land-line, anyway. Moreover, no way to track my physical address down, I used my P.O. Box credit card to pay for the service.

land lines have to match addresses, see, they have area codes, but mobiles do not quite pass this lil security test of mine...
While this is mostly true of POTS (plain old telephone system) lines, it is not the case for modern, digital landlines. POTS lines are exceedingly rare these days. They're expensive to install and maintain, so carriers charge a premium for them. They are also expensive to relocate, hence why they provide that "security" you're seeking. On the other hand, digital landlines are easy to "relocate". I have a client in Seattle with a South Florida area code on his landline.
I have all types of security measures set up on it, one of which isn't working unfortunately, including screening anyone who doesn't have a caller ID. I don't see any point in talking to a stranger before going out with them if they don't have their caller ID working. Remember that's an option they chose, not an accident.
Caller ID is not regulated by a governing body. When someone calls you, their phone number is provided to your carrier by their carrier. Your carrier then checks a CNAM (Caller ID Database) to look up the name associated with that number. The problem is that different carriers use different CNAMs, and the CNAMs don't necessarily update each other at a reasonable pace. Thus, the caller could have their Caller ID properly set up with his carrier's CNAM, but your carrier's CNAM could have incorrect or incomplete information.
do you prefer land-lines to mobile phones when it comes to having to trust somebody you do not know well?
Definitely. I can't trust a company without a working landline these days.

It happens that some companies claim they have an office in NYC or in London, when they are in China..................

I have a landline because it was required as part of a bundle, but the ringer is off and I don't even know the number. I don't use it at all. I don't even think the phone works.

There isn't a lot of choice in the matter these days....most people don't use landlines unless they live in an area with poor cell reception.

This is exactly my deal. One day my landline stopped working so I went to just cancel it and they tell me it's cheaper to have a triple play than just internet and TV :confused:

So I too pay for a phone line I don't use. Right there with ya sister who bleeds green.

todreaminblue

mobiles are brain tumor causing....i hardly use my mobile my kids take it all the time anyway....can't take my landline though hah....one up on them.....i get prank called a bit.....i just don't answer the phone unless i recognise the number.....deb