Would you ever go back to a job you've already resigned from twice?

CautiouslyOptimistic

Almost 6 years ago I resigned from a job I loved that I'd had for about 6 years (due to moving 30 minutes away, being a single mom, and needing better pay....it's a non-profit). It was the second time I'd worked there, having resigned the first time (after 5 years of employment) to be a SAHM for about 5 years after I had my children. So, in total, I worked there for about 11 years over an approximate 16 year period of time. When I went back after my 5 year hiatus it seemed serendipitous that a position was open just when I was looking because I ran into an old co-worker while out to dinner with my exH, discussing whether or not I should go back to work. The next day, my old boss contacted me and the rest is history. I got divorced during my second stint there and the non-profit salary was a lot harder on me as a divorced mom than as a married one!

I'm still really good friends with all of these people (mostly women and some of my best girlfriends) and meet them for happy hour occasionally, interact on Facebook and texting, so they know I'm considering seeking new opportunities from what I've been doing for the last six years (independent contractor). This week I was contacted by them and asked if I was interested in returning again in a part-time position they are creating (so I'd still keep doing my own stuff, but cut back on it).

I'm not going to say yes for various reasons (mostly related to money, including the cost of commute), but there's also part of me that is like eeeeek, I'd be a little embarrassed to go back....AGAIN :lmao:. I mean, I didn't leave under bad circumstances at all, but part of me would still be embarrassed and I'm not quite sure why? Aside from the fact I hate attention and I would get tired of all of the teasing about coming back again. It was a little awkward the first time I went back, so I can imagine what it would be like the second time. However, I adore all of those people and miss them very much.

Has anyone returned to a job they previously quit? Have you done it twice with the same company?

No, I probably wouldn’t return to any job I quit.

However, in your case, since you love the work and still have friends there, you should go for it and not feel embarrassed at all. They obviously would love to have you back also.

I don’t think you have anything to be ashamed or embarrassed about.

• Like 2
  • Author
CautiouslyOptimistic
No, I probably wouldn’t return to any job I quit.

However, in your case, since you love the work and still have friends there, you should go for it and not feel embarrassed at all. They obviously would love to have you back also.

I don’t think you have anything to be ashamed or embarrassed about.

I know that in my head, but I still would feel that way! It really doesn't work out financially for me right now, though. If I quit my self-employed gig, I want to go back to a traditional full-time job with benefits. I miss benefits.

• Like 1

There is a famous line by Bob Dylan from Love and Theft

"You can always come back, but you can’t come back all the way"

I did something like this once. I left and then came back. I totally regret doing it. It didn't work out in my case. I had a miserable time and left again never to come back.

So is this the fund raising/non-profit sector you are working in? Are the people that were there 6 years ago really all still at the same company and in same office? Seems like a really wicked place to work if that's the case. I was under the impression the fund raising sector has a high turn over rate with people moving jobs very often as funding goals are not met or they just find better paying jobs in other fund raising companies.

As a business owner, I understand. We have to create our own benefits. Which is not always easy.

The freedom and financial rewards are worth it for me though. Just have to make sure those things benefits provide are covered.

• Like 1
I know that in my head, but I still would feel that way! It really doesn't work out financially for me right now, though. If I quit my self-employed gig, I want to go back to a traditional full-time job with benefits. I miss benefits.

I was gonna say yeah, you should go back, but if that means you can't make ends meet then...........no.

• Like 1

It's a shame it doesn't work out for you financially because otherwise, I would have said go for it too!

I did go back to a previous job - but only once! I left for 5 months and absolutely hated my new job (it wasn't what I expected and the terms changed very quickly). I left under OK circumstances and asked my old boss if she knew of any other opportunities. Turns out I could go back if I wanted to, and I did. At the time, it was absolutely the right choice - my new job was leaving me in tears. I have since left and she said I could change my mind all the way up to the end of the last day if I wanted. I would never go back there again though, it truly is a terrible place to work!

Given the reasons why you left, there is absolutely no reason to be embarrassed. It's great that you like them so much and they obviously like you so much too!

• Like 1