On the fence about a promotion offer

After coming back to work after holidays, my boss surprised me with an offer for promotion.

I was completely caught of guard, especially since I was promoted less than a year ago and back then I applied for the position, went through interviews, reviewes, the whole thing. This is an out of the blue offer coming straight from him.

Normally, I would be overjoyed. However, this is really bad timing. It would mean that this month I would have to both work as well as master certain new programs and get caught up with all these new responsibilities and procedures.

In addition to this, I recently bought a house and I am redecorating and moving. I have to move out of my apartmant by February 1st, an apartmant I've lived in for the past 7 years so there's a lot of stuff to go through.

My daughter is going through an evaluation at school this month so there will be a ton of responsbilities and discussions and meetings.

I'm juggling all of this by myself and I'm feeling very overwhelmed. Adding extra responsibilities and hours at work seems simply impossible.

However, it's an amazing opportunity, it's a lot more money and with my new mortgage it would be simply perfect to have that extra breathing room. I also worry that I'm going to disappoint my boss if I say no and he won't try and offer again.

Do you guys think it's a good idea to turn it down? And what would I even say to him without bringing personal matters into it?

Or do I just suck it up for a month and try and do all of this?

CautiouslyOptimistic

Absolutely suck it up for a month! Just plow through.....you can do it.

Congrats!

• Like 3
Eternal Sunshine

No brainer for me. Your overload is temporary. Promotion is forever.

Take it and don't look back. Congratulations :cool:

• Like 1

Can you accept the promotion but delay the implementation of the training and tasks?

Don't turn it down. Get help on the home front. Delegate as MKD says. Congratulations!

• Like 1
  • Author

I know. I probably seem whiny and ungrateful, but I just worry I'm not going to physically be able to do it all and I'm going to mess up both work and motherhood. What if I'm not able to be there when the school needs me or I have to leave work early to be there.

It's really a job with so much more responsibility and leadership, it's going to be super scary on it's own and with all of this around me... it's giving me anxiety just thinking about it.

• Author
Can you accept the promotion but delay the implementation of the training and tasks?

Don't turn it down. Get help on the home front. Delegate as MKD says. Congratulations!

Unfortunately no. The new position would start Feb 1st and by then I need to be fully trained and ready for it.

My parents live in a different city (not far but no so close to actually help out with daily activities) and my friends also have full time jobs. Taking care of my daughter falls on me most of the time and I'm usually pretty organized, but I think I have to accept that it's going to be chaos for a few weeks.

Bittersweetie

What an amazing opportunity! My vote is to take it. Some stuff you can push back. Like redecorating...the house doesn't have to be all set up when you move in. When we moved into our house, my son decided to be born prematurely ten days later. Fortunately my MIL and BIL had come visit the weekend before to help unpack! But needless to say no decorating was done for a long long time. And I understand wanting to go through stuff before moving, but that can be done later too. You can take things one day at a time until you've gotten through these couple of months. At the end you'll have a new house and a new job! Congrats!

• Like 1
  • Author
What an amazing opportunity! My vote is to take it. Some stuff you can push back. Like redecorating...the house doesn't have to be all set up when you move in. When we moved into our house, my son decided to be born prematurely ten days later. Fortunately my MIL and BIL had come visit the weekend before to help unpack! But needless to say no decorating was done for a long long time. And I understand wanting to go through stuff before moving, but that can be done later too. You can take things one day at a time until you've gotten through these couple of months. At the end you'll have a new house and a new job! Congrats!

Oh I'm totally already prepared for the fact that it's not going to be completely done by the time we move in. But currently they're painting the rooms and re-doing the kitchen countertops and putting new cabinets, a bunch of work that I can't stop in the middle. The whole thing is driving me crazy needless to say.

I told my boss today that I'm going to take the job offer. It's just too good to pass up and I do want this new position.

However, I did end up explaining to him that I have some personal things going on this month, particularly with my daughter's school that I am going to have to attend and I hope he understands. I usually never bring personal things into work, but I felt like it was better to explain immediately.

So that's that, I'm going to take it day by day and see what happens.

• Like 2