LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Update on roommate situation

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By MidwestUSA
  • 1 Post By Art_Critic
  • 1 Post By Space Ritual
  • 1 Post By amaysngrace

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2018, 2:36 PM   #1
Established Member

Update on roommate situation

I have no idea where my post from 2 months ago went.

But Iíve had a roommate situation Iíve been trying to wiggle out of for a while. About 1 and 1/2 years ago an elderly lady moved in with my kids and I. She has my secondary master bedroom downstairs and a really great deal IMO. Well the lack of privacy is driving me batty. She rarely works and is home almost 24/7 and doesnít even pay me what she should so I told her back in Oct she has to move. She is a really nice lady and my kids love her. No hard feelings but I need my house back to myself. I want my house smoke free again. She doesnít smoke in the house but my garage smells like smoke and she reeks like it so I am done. She agreed itís time to move so I told her she can stay until Jan 31 and thatís it. I gave her 3 1/2 months verbal notice in Oct.

So 12/29 I have her a formal written notice to formally end month to month tenancy. She seems a little butt hurt over a formal notice. I said sorry for the formality but it necessary so that she knows she needs to be totally moved out by Jan 31.

Turns out she hasnít even started looking. She mentioned she has enjoyed our arrangement and doesnít want another roommate situation and itís goimg to be tough to find any apt she can afford. I told her thatís why I gave her a lot of notice and we talked about this in Oct. she then said well who wants to move around the holidays. I said thatís why I gave her until Jan 30 instead of dec 30. I also said if she needs boxes to move and wants help the kids and I are glad to help her.

I looked on Craigís list yesterday just to see what rooms are going for in my city ( which is safe and very high in demand ) and Iíve been undercharging her by about $150 a month. Plus she has a master. Sheís had it made. She pays cheap and gets the house all to herself all day since I work and my kids are in school. Me on the other hand get zero privacy so this arrangement needs to end.

My mom asked me if I would throw her out on he street I said no BUT I need to light a fire on her that she needs to move and she cannot live with me any longer.

Hereís hoping she is out my months end. Iíve been more than fair with this woman and she canít live with me anymore. I also have zero deposit left since she used it for nov rent so nice she was short.

Here is hoping she is out by 1/31.
purrrfectlyflawed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 10:16 PM   #2
Established Member

Do what you need to do for you. Make sure everything is in writing and that she has signed/dated your formal leave notice. Research how to go through the eviction process legally if she still sticks around after the move out date.
healing light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 10:18 PM   #3
Established Member

Also, I would make sure in one of your next e-mail correspondences to her that you mention you gave her verbal notice 3.5 months ago. There are certain timelines that need to be followed in terms of notice if you do have to go through eviction, so you want plenty of proof on your side that you were more than reasonable and understanding of your tenant.
healing light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 10:18 PM   #4
Established Member

I remember your other thread. I'm sorry it hasn't gone as seamlessly as it seemed like it was going to. I hope a fire gets lit under her!
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 12:08 AM   #5
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CautiouslyOptimistic View Post
I remember your other thread. I'm sorry it hasn't gone as seamlessly as it seemed like it was going to. I hope a fire gets lit under her!
I hope that's not what it takes to get her out!
Old 3rd January 2018, 12:29 PM   #6
Established Member

On Jan 31 I am going to start shutting down the house. She is no longer going to use my garage and Iím also changing the internet password. She can park in the street which is very inconvenient for her.

I have a feeling she is going to ask for more time. If she does I am goin to tell her to look at Craigís list ads for a master bedroom within 10 miles of my zip and see what she should be paying. I have been grossly generous with her and it stops now. Shes also not taking into consideration that anyone she lives with is giving up all their privacy. I really want her out by Jan 31 and Iím not going to let her stay in Feb unless she truly is going to be homeless. But I am going to charge her $650 and again she will sign something promising to be out by feb 28.

At this point she needs to be out because I want to get the flooring changed out in her room and I need everything out. I will cite that too as not being able to extend so Iím going to be very firm with her from here on out.
Old 3rd January 2018, 1:02 PM   #7
Established Member

You need to do your research on tenant law before you do any of that..

If it were me I would be ready to file for eviction immediately as the day passes you gave her to get out.

Don't take this lying down.. she isn't going anywhere....
O'Malley likes this.
Art_Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 2:42 PM   #8
Established Member

Sheís also asked for a letter of reference. That will happen as soon as she is packing her stuff up.

Her character is great. Nice lady who you can trust. I just donít want a Home based smoker living with me anymore. I need my privacy and I find myself holed up in my room a lot because itís the only part of the house where I can truly be alone. Iím going to be very blunt with her if she tries to stay on why this doesnít work for me anymore and she needs to be out by 1/31.
Old 4th January 2018, 8:32 AM   #9
Established Member

She most likely knows you can't throw her out without a legal hearing so if you feel it's going on deaf ears then the idea of her being a nice lady is out the window.

In some states they give the tenant more rights than they do the homeowner and in those states renters know the laws and it's possible to drag an eviction out about 6 months if they know all the right paperwork to file.

I hope she heeds your warnings and just goes elsewhere soon...
Art_Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 9:56 AM   #10
Established Member

I hope it's not a big problem to remove her from your home. It doesn't sound like you have a very good arrangement going.
Old 4th January 2018, 10:00 AM   #11
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestUSA View Post
I hope that's not what it takes to get her out!
I've actually lit someone on fire so I can attest that sometimes this is exactly what it takes to motivate people...
Old 4th January 2018, 10:19 AM   #12
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ritual View Post
I've actually lit someone on fire so I can attest that sometimes this is exactly what it takes to motivate people...
purrrfectly flawed maybe knows this too

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectlyflawed View Post
I need to light a fire on her
amaysngrace is offline   Reply With Quote