Fractured ankle and no time off work.

I fractured my ankle a month ago, tripping on broken concrete on my driveway, late on a Friday night, I went to work the next morning and called our on call person to take over so I could go to A&E. I was told to take 3-4 days off and rest it. I went back to work the next day. I was told by the Drs that I could be on ACC (government funded accident compensation) but I chose not too as they only pay 80% of your wages. I can't afford to lose 20% of my wages as my employer made a mistake with my wages for the last 7 years and as a result I've already had approximately 20% cut to what I thought I was worth.

I have been in my job for 15+ years and was invited to celebrate with the bosses on the other side of town (for my long service) I asked my work mates to swap shifts with me, as I'd been rostered to work on the other side of town finishing at 11pm after a 7 day stint. None of my work mates would swap with me, the bosses attended the ceremony on work time and I had to go on my own time.

I'm feeling really let down as not only have I worked the last month with a fractured ankle when I could have taken time off, but the boss's are being paid to go to my celebration and I had to do it on my time.

Also I started my week last Saturday at 7am and finished at 11pm Friday, 7 days in a row. I start on the other side of town a 7am on Monday.

I feel like part of my weekend had been robbed, I'm angry none of my work mates would swap (like I have for them) and I'm furious that my boss's get paid to watch me get this award while I hobble there on my time with a fractured ankle.

Not cool. Fuming. This should be in "personal rants"? Maybe but it's also a work issue.

I should have taken the whole month off and earned the extra 20% elsewhere. ?

I'm sorry for your troubles. Perhaps it's time to dust off the resume. You are being underpaid & under appreciated.

In the future, when you are hurt do not sacrifice for your employer. Employer's don't care & will never acknowledge the sacrifice; they will simply expect more in the future.

It's good that you didn't get the ACC pay & try to make up the difference elsewhere. While I'm not familiar with ACC per se, in most cases when you receive a disability payment because you are unable to work, anything you do to "earn" the difference is considered fraud because it's evidence that you could have worked. Also it's usually 80% of your gross pay, not the net pay after taxes, so it should work out to about the same $$ in your pocket, at least in theory.

• Like 2

That is terrible! I'm sorry you have been treated so shabbily by the company you have devoted so many years to. You have reminded me to be thankful that I am so fortunate to be employed by a company that treats its employees fairly most of the time. When I was asked to attend a ceremony to receive an award last year it was scheduled during my workday and I was absolutely paid to travel to the event and for the 2 hours ceremony.

You really should have looked into the injury benefits available to you. I agree with the above poster that it most likely would have been 80% of your gross pay so it would be close to your regular pay.

• Like 1
  • Author
I'm sorry for your troubles. Perhaps it's time to dust off the resume. You are being underpaid & under appreciated.

In the future, when you are hurt do not sacrifice for your employer. Employer's don't care & will never acknowledge the sacrifice; they will simply expect more in the future.

It's good that you didn't get the ACC pay & try to make up the difference elsewhere. While I'm not familiar with ACC per se, in most cases when you receive a disability payment because you are unable to work, anything you do to "earn" the difference is considered fraud because it's evidence that you could have worked. Also it's usually 80% of your gross pay, not the net pay after taxes, so it should work out to about the same $$ in your pocket, at least in theory.

Thanks you are right! I didn't think of that re the 20%. Yes I will get a new resume together, it's just scary thinking of starting somewhere new after so long in the same place.

Thanks you are right! I didn't think of that re the 20%. Yes I will get a new resume together, it's just scary thinking of starting somewhere new after so long in the same place.

I appreciate your drive to continue to work while having a fractured ankle. But I think it makes sense to look into the compensation thing. Fractured ankle requires a long time to recover, and it's important to rest and eat well while your bone is healing. You may also take the time away from work to really polish up your resume and prepare for your next job opportunities.

• Like 1