Standing Treadmill Desk

Does anyone use a standing treadmill desk? I'm considering purchasing one as since I have started working from home 100% of the time, my back is starting to really kill me, and I'm tired of being so sedentary all the time.

The back pain is starting to affect my sciatica and causing problems in my feet. I've heard great things about a standing desk with a treadmill, but not sure what model would be the best fit. So I'm hoping a few of my fellow loveshackers have some recommendations.

• Like 1

You say you are sedentary so I'm, assuming that you don't have a standing desk at all right now?

I would strongly suggest you go for a good quality standing desk rather than a standing treadmill desk if you are going from seated to standing.

A treadmill powered by you (not electrical) needs a fair bit of good power from you (you don't have that power required with sciatica) to get and keep it going and an electrical treadmill is great when that is all you are doing but if you are working and lose or need to look away from your point of focus you could very easily fall.

The difference between sitting all day and standing some of the day should help your issue if not solve it though - especially if you believe sitting is exacerbating it.

I can give you some standing desk tips to help if you like :)

Plus some tips for helping the sciatica too - I've had it several times but not for a long old time lately.

If you haven't found a normal standing desk good for your back I would not recommend a standing treadmill one.

Perhaps you should concentrate on your posture with the normal standing desk and rectifying that. Most of our standing desk users find their desk more comfy if barefoot too as it can cause foot pain in not so great shoes - or even just shoes for some.

The first time I used a standing desk I didn't think about my posture so I got back pain the first day badly. I adjusted my posture to suit it and I am much more comfy barefoot and then balancing on one leg with my other foot rested upon the balancing foot.

My concern with you upgrading to a standing treadmill desk is that on a treadmill it's either a lot of hard work on your legs, feet, hips and back if it's not electrical and powered by you (these are not the easiest types of treadmill to use unless you already have a fair bit of strength and power going on) - if it is electrical then lose your point of focus and they're easier than you might think to fall off them even when just walking.

I can give you some tips for bettering your posture with the standing desk if you like. Let me know.

• Like 3
Does anyone use a standing treadmill desk? I'm considering purchasing one as since I have started working from home 100% of the time, my back is starting to really kill me, and I'm tired of being so sedentary all the time.

The back pain is starting to affect my sciatica and causing problems in my feet. I've heard great things about a standing desk with a treadmill, but not sure what model would be the best fit. So I'm hoping a few of my fellow loveshackers have some recommendations.

I do not know specific brands, but I have a few colleagues that swear by those sit-to-stand desks.

• Like 1

Grr! I should have deleted some stuff in my last post after realising OP was currently sitting...ah well..sorry!

Standing desk tips:

They suggest half an hour slots - make it 15 minute slots or ten minute slots.

If your sit/stand desk is hard to pull up/push down oil it to make is smoother and easier.

When you stand do not wear heels.

When you stand try it out with shoes and without shoes - even comfy ones.

Never stand with your legs straight and knees locked as it will cause lower back pain.

Relax your knees - to a slight bend always.

Don't stand for long periods of time - build it up - don't ever stand for a whole day - work up to half an hour up, half an hour down.

Start with 5 or ten mins up and half an hour down.

Ease into it.

Barefoot is best - if you feel odd standing on two feet with your weight balanced try like i do - balance on one foot and rest the other foot on top - change often.

If you end up standing but favouring (not balancing but favouring) one leg and then the other - this will not do you or your back any good as you will lock your knee - you almost can't help it.

Don't just sit or just stand all day - even just an hour total standing per day can really help.

• Like 3

Gemma why is standing recommended?

We have standing desks at work but I find it extremely uncomfortable: as you said it doesn’t work well while wearing heels, I can’t imagine changing shoes multiple times a day ....

Is it mainly designed for people with back problems?

Grr! I should have deleted some stuff in my last post after realising OP was currently sitting...ah well..sorry!

Standing desk tips:

They suggest half an hour slots - make it 15 minute slots or ten minute slots.

If your sit/stand desk is hard to pull up/push down oil it to make is smoother and easier.

When you stand do not wear heels.

When you stand try it out with shoes and without shoes - even comfy ones.

Never stand with your legs straight and knees locked as it will cause lower back pain.

Relax your knees - to a slight bend always.

Don't stand for long periods of time - build it up - don't ever stand for a whole day - work up to half an hour up, half an hour down.

Start with 5 or ten mins up and half an hour down.

Ease into it.

Barefoot is best - if you feel odd standing on two feet with your weight balanced try like i do - balance on one foot and rest the other foot on top - change often.

If you end up standing but favouring (not balancing but favouring) one leg and then the other - this will not do you or your back any good as you will lock your knee - you almost can't help it.

Don't just sit or just stand all day - even just an hour total standing per day can really help.

I recommend spending a little more money and buying a special electric height adjustable desk. In general this type of desk is useful for health and comfortable for work. Here https://www.primecables.com/p-355830-cab-et101-wh-primecables-electric-sit-standing-desk-height-adjustable-desk-frame-table-top-not-include-white you can find review about one of such model desk with video and description.

That’s what I have but I don’t find it comfortable. People that make use of it usually put pressure-relief pad under their feet. And still for heel-wearers it’s not ideal...

CautiouslyOptimistic

Yes, I have a treadmill desk. I used it a lot when I first got it. My goal was 6-7 miles a day. One day I got up to 11. I need to get back to it.

They only go up to 4mph for safety, so it's not something you can also use for running unless you run slow like me ;). And you also can't walk too slowly because it hurts your hips. But a good 2.5 pace, or down to 2 if you're really needing to concentrate hard on something you're doing, is a good pace.

• Like 1
Gemma why is standing recommended?

We have standing desks at work but I find it extremely uncomfortable: as you said it doesn’t work well while wearing heels, I can’t imagine changing shoes multiple times a day ....

Is it mainly designed for people with back problems?

Standing is good because too many people are sedentary so much these days.

These desks are for anyone. I don't have back pain.

If you find a standing desk uncomfortable your are most likely locking your knees which forces your back into a position that will incur low back pain.

Learn how not to lock your knees and the pain disappears.

Sit & stand options make sitting more comfortable as you haven't been sitting all day through.

Standing also burns calories - which I know many people who want to include simple exercise into their daily lives like.

I wouldn't wear heels - that will just cause foot pain. I don't wear shoes at all when standing though either as that will do the same for me as I walk a lot anyway, my feet will get fatigued even in comfy shoes if I am on my feet too much. I can easy kick off shoes or boots to work standing though and for me it's not an issue.

I much prefer having the option to sit or stand. Many people where I work use these desks and we have had so many convert to it after sharing some test standing desks around for a few days at a time.

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic

I much prefer having the option to sit or stand.

Absolutely. My office has both a treadmill desk and a regular desk. And also a rocker/glider lol.

• Like 1
Absolutely. My office has both a treadmill desk and a regular desk. And also a rocker/glider lol.

OK, no need to show off! Lol! :)

• Author
Yes, I have a treadmill desk. I used it a lot when I first got it. My goal was 6-7 miles a day. One day I got up to 11. I need to get back to it.

They only go up to 4mph for safety, so it's not something you can also use for running unless you run slow like me ;). And you also can't walk too slowly because it hurts your hips. But a good 2.5 pace, or down to 2 if you're really needing to concentrate hard on something you're doing, is a good pace.

This is basically what I'm looking for, just something I can either turn off and stand, or walk at a slow pace. Just something to keep me moving through the day.

• Like 1