LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

email etiquette

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th December 2017, 9:19 PM   #1
Established Member

email etiquette

Is it okay to respond to an email with the person's first name or nickname if that is how they signed their reply to their initial email?

Or is it best to always go formal unless otherwise instructed?
HiCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2017, 9:21 PM   #2
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCrunchy View Post
Is it okay to respond to an email with the person's first name or nickname if that is how they signed their reply to their initial email?

Or is it best to always go formal unless otherwise instructed?
use the name they signed in their initial email
Old 9th December 2017, 9:30 PM   #3
Established Member

that's what i thought, but then my boss told me that that is too inform if I have never met the person in person.

I didn't think that was the case, but I was just curious.
HiCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2017, 10:43 PM   #4
Established Member

There's not much worse than a highly polished email that sounds like a highly political correct speech.

Just be cool and and add some personality to it. No need for jokes and memes and all that crap. Just act like your a human like the rest of us.
Mr.Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2017, 12:01 PM   #5

I firmly agree with using the name they signed their email with. It's clear that they would like that to be their preferred method to be addressed.
Triggs1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2017, 12:09 PM   #6
Established Member

You can't go wrong being too formal in business. In a letter you would write Dear Surname not Hello first name. An email should not be different.

If the recipient wants you to call them something else they will let you know. Until you are invited to use a first name, don' t do it; never use a nickname.

I got a series of business emails from a colleague today. We have known each other for 25 years. It was still addressed Dear Ms. D0nnivain & signed with his full name & title even though we call each other D0nni & Joe when we speak.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2017, 12:12 PM   #7
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0nnivain View Post
I got a series of business emails from a colleague today. We have known each other for 25 years. It was still addressed Dear Ms. D0nnivain & signed with his full name & title even though we call each other D0nni & Joe when we speak.

You stuffy northerners. Around here we're like "yo, Judge" and "'sup, Bubba".
GorillaTheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2017, 12:14 PM   #8
Established Member

I use the name in their email signature, unless I've been introduced to them as something else, or we have built a personal relationship.

I have one vendor that I work with that I've become pretty close friends with, and regardless of the email subject we usually say something like "Hey Girl!" or even "Hey Babe!" (unless of course it's a more professional subject with executives cc'd)
alsudduth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2017, 10:25 PM   #9
Established Member

But people do not sign their names the way they are formally addressed. So you can't go by that.
The guy you should be addressing as Mr Smith, is not going to sign himself "Mr Smith". If he signs himself John Smith, you still do not write "Hi John Smith".
Maggie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2017, 11:26 AM   #10
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsudduth View Post
I use the name in their email signature, unless I've been introduced to them as something else, or we have built a personal relationship.

I have one vendor that I work with that I've become pretty close friends with, and regardless of the email subject we usually say something like "Hey Girl!" or even "Hey Babe!" (unless of course it's a more professional subject with executives cc'd)

You are treading on very thin ice in this political climate by calling somebody at work Babe.
JuneL likes this.
Old 19th December 2017, 11:30 AM   #11
Established Member

Quote:
You are treading on very thin ice in this political climate by calling somebody at work Babe.
She's a female, though, so it's probably ok. I'm assuming they are also both heterosexual?
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2017, 11:34 AM   #12
Established Member

But it may sound condescending, like when you call a junior co-worker "dear".

Quote:
Originally Posted by CautiouslyOptimistic View Post
She's a female, though, so it's probably ok. I'm assuming they are also both heterosexual?
JuneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2017, 11:46 AM   #13
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CautiouslyOptimistic View Post

Sexual harassment & discrimination are not gender specific. Both genders can be victims.

Crossing boundaries & being too casual at work is a bad plan. Maintaining appropriate boundaries protects everybody & therefore should be encouraged.
Old 19th December 2017, 11:55 AM   #14
Established Member

Quote:
Sexual harassment & discrimination are not gender specific. Both genders can be victims.

Crossing boundaries & being too casual at work is a bad plan. Maintaining appropriate boundaries protects everybody & therefore should be encouraged.
Eh....you can still develop strong friendships in the workplace. Some of my very best girlfriends are former colleagues and they wouldn't bad an eye if I said "hey girlfriend" or even "hey babe" if that was a word I would normally say (it isn't). Totally depends on the culture of the workplace in my opinion. You have to not be a dum dum about it .
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2017, 11:59 AM   #15
Established Member

I am not disputing the fact that people can form strong friendships at work. I am saying that writing "hey babe" in a work email that discusses work subjects or even simply uses a work ISP or domain name D0nnivain @ workcompany.com is inappropriate. How two people greet each other in their off hours or through their personal e-mail is entirely up to them.