Company made me and several other employees redundant

So, I and half a dozen other colleagues of mine have just had seperate meetings with HR Manager and Head of Operations.

After speaking with my colleagues after their meetings, they had decided to terminate us due to not enough workload to supply.

This has been a recurring issue for the company that I now no longer work for, due to merges with the financial team, admin and communications department.

We had all previously raised issues about lack of work and these problems were never addressed.

Is this correct or even legal for an employer to do this? I’ve never been terminated before. My adherence has always been above 98 since I was employed and I am a hardworking employee, I just don’t understand why they had came to the conclusion that firing 30% of the companies employees is a good choice.

What a time for something like this to happen...

Edited by DarrenB

Don't know about the UK but where I live and work, sure, grab your tools, collect your last check at the front office and you're outta here. No meetings, no nothing. You're fired/laid off, whatever. Absent a CBA (union contract) or specific employment contract, it's known as 'right to work' which really means right to terminate for no reason. ;)

Since you apparently were complaining about lack of work, yup, that's your canary in the coal mine. Sure some companies will keep on employees during slow times to preserve their training investment and talent pool but if it's a slowdown and not slow times (temporary) bye bye. This happened to me in the mid-80's so I said screw that and went out on my own.

Hopefully our UK/EU members will chime in with specifics on your deal. Good luck!

Companies can do whatever they want except terminate somebody for an illegal / discriminatory reason (Because of your gender, race, etc.). Firing you because they don't have enough work / can't afford to keep you on is a legitimate business reason. The only possibility for a claim of discrimination is if all the people let go shared some characteristic: everybody was over 40; you were all the same gender; etc. Even then you don't have a claim unless the employer hires people to replace you who are the opposite of why you were fired. In the US you may also have been entitled to something called a W.A.R.N. telling you this reduction in force was coming.

If you had a contract or a union those things may offer you protection.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Take advantage of whatever out placement services they offer & happy hunting. Try to get your current boss to write you a letter of recommendation that you can have before you walk out the door.

• Author
Don't know about the UK but where I live and work, sure, grab your tools, collect your last check at the front office and you're outta here. No meetings, no nothing. You're fired/laid off, whatever. Absent a CBA (union contract) or specific employment contract, it's known as 'right to work' which really means right to terminate for no reason. ;)

Since you apparently were complaining about lack of work, yup, that's your canary in the coal mine. Sure some companies will keep on employees during slow times to preserve their training investment and talent pool but if it's a slowdown and not slow times (temporary) bye bye. This happened to me in the mid-80's so I said screw that and went out on my own.

Hopefully our UK/EU members will chime in with specifics on your deal. Good luck!

It's just bizarre to me and in my opinion a completely impulsive decision.

Because earlier this year they had made relatively big investments to boost the companies work aspects and in the space of a few months they had merged with other financial and para-planning providers so obviously there is work there...

Last month (November) alone, due to problems with management and again workload, we said our farewells to at the very least 10 colleagues who worked in HR and the central admin district.

Maybe it's something I'm not particularly used to, but it's probably for the best? Thanks for your input Carhill.

• Author
Companies can do whatever they want except terminate somebody for an illegal / discriminatory reason (Because of your gender, race, etc.). Firing you because they don't have enough work / can't afford to keep you on is a legitimate business reason. The only possibility for a claim of discrimination is if all the people let go shared some characteristic: everybody was over 40; you were all the same gender; etc. Even then you don't have a claim unless the employer hires people to replace you who are the opposite of why you were fired. In the US you may also have been entitled to something called a W.A.R.N. telling you this reduction in force was coming.

If you had a contract or a union those things may offer you protection.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Take advantage of whatever out placement services they offer & happy hunting. Try to get your current boss to write you a letter of recommendation that you can have before you walk out the door.

Yeah, that was something I sort of gathered when I noticed half of my team going to their own meetings after mine.

Ironically my own team leader was one of the other people to be terminated, so she just left and I didn't really feel obliged to go back to the HR department and ask for it. I already have a few references from other employers, so I don't really feel the need myself to ask for one from here.

I'm not too bothered either about benefits, I just want to be paid my remaining holiday pay that I have and the days that I have worked since my last pay. Company looked like it was deteriorating anyway so like I said above, perhaps it's for the best this had occurred.

Thanks d0nn.

I'm from the UK.

It's perfectly legal.

You say you were complaining of lack of work anyway which makes me confused as to why you would question a redundancy happening.

There have also been company mergers, mergers are a way to financially support companies but also to reduce cost. This would also make me think you guys would have likely twigged that redundancy was on the cards possibly.

One or more of the companies your now ex-employer has merged with has a stronger team (who may be at a cheaper cost, in a better or cheaper location or have systems designed to easily introduce diversions of business) who have procedures in place to adequately allow for some extra workload to be soaked up.

All that a union would do here if you are signed up to one is ensure your sub is fair If you are entitled to a sub of any kind.

You haven't been terminated, you have been made redundant.

The two terms are very different.

I'm sorry this has happened to you but it's the way of the world at the moment. Financially many companies are coming in under projected targets.

My company is suffering some of this right now, not to your scale but there are redundancies happening on a more personal scale. One manager role has been made redundant at my place but to be fair she is off sick so consistently that her subordinate has just stepped up, covered and done a great job - the subordinate is the one we are keeping as she does an amazing job and is always reliable.

We are also making a few deadwoods whom we carry redundant in sales. They don't or very rarely achieve target. when most of our sales team even in tough times achieve target most months.

Be thankful there was a group of you. It makes it less personal.

More importantly get job hunting now. If you have felt that you haven't had enough to do for a long time it can be very tough to get yourself motivated again.

• Like 1
  • Author
I'm from the UK.

It's perfectly legal.

You say you were complaining of lack of work anyway which makes me confused as to why you would question a redundancy happening.

There have also been company mergers, mergers are a way to financially support companies but also to reduce cost. This would also make me think you guys would have likely twigged that redundancy was on the cards possibly.

One or more of the companies your now ex-employer has merged with has a stronger team (who may be at a cheaper cost, in a better or cheaper location or have systems designed to easily introduce diversions of business) who have procedures in place to adequately allow for some extra workload to be soaked up.

All that a union would do here if you are signed up to one is ensure your sub is fair If you are entitled to a sub of any kind.

You haven't been terminated, you have been made redundant.

The two terms are very different.

I'm sorry this has happened to you but it's the way of the world at the moment. Financially many companies are coming in under projected targets.

My company is suffering some of this right now, not to your scale but there are redundancies happening on a more personal scale. One manager role has been made redundant at my place but to be fair she is off sick so consistently that her subordinate has just stepped up, covered and done a great job - the subordinate is the one we are keeping as she does an amazing job and is always reliable.

We are also making a few deadwoods whom we carry redundant in sales. They don't or very rarely achieve target. when most of our sales team even in tough times achieve target most months.

Be thankful there was a group of you. It makes it less personal.

More importantly get job hunting now. If you have felt that you haven't had enough to do for a long time it can be very tough to get yourself motivated again.

Many thanks for that in-depth response Gemma.

I wasn't oblivious to the fact that the company was (is) struggling with whatever hardships they're going through, but I damn well wouldn't have thought that they would dismiss former employees like myself who have been there for some time. Weeks ago there were several announcements regarding a change in productivity and we were assured that workload would increase over the next few days, but it never did and that was the only time the issue was addressed only because we prompted it with the managing director. With multiple departments I would have assumed a transition to a different one, obviously not the case.

Maybe I'm still a little shocked overall, perhaps even a little mad but I don't know who wouldn't be.

I've already been in contact with two companies this evening after I left, both of which I had previously attended interviews and had offered me a position at the start of my employment with this company. They had told me there are vacancies still available and will contact me if there is one suitable for myself.

Edited by DarrenB
  • Like 1

Don't get me wrong. I've been made redundant twice so I understand how you are feeling.

It can feel very personal, trust me it isn't and it's not down to your work when it's 10 of you plus your superior. It's all about cost to the business.

You must with agencies or any new employers use the correct wording. redundant, not terminated. Terminated is a whole different thing.

Terminated = fired. You did not get fired.

By subs I mean severance/redundancy pay - that is worth keeping safe unused as much as you can.

You have some opportunities and you went looking so quickly - all good - it's way better than resting up for Christmas and doing nothing.

You need money coming in.

Me? I have temped and done what it took to get money in, never signed on but you should do that tomorrow. Every little helps. (visit the Job Centre on Monday as a priority, much as you won't want to).

Working is better than not to any future employer, it doesn't matter what work it is.

Take that attitude and it will work for you, not against.

Don't lose out on benefit though - you don't know what is ahead.

You may well have a job before it comes through but if you don't it'll help with travel costs for interviews etc.