Don't want to hurt friend's rep at work, but...

Friend helped land a job 3 months ago. low skilled job, but pay and scheduling was okay. I really hate it now though. after my first 90 days, I did some dumb stuff and got put on another 90 day probation. It's super cliquey and micromanagement. My coworkers are pretty rude to me. I just want to quit today. since I'm on probation I think they might fire me if I put in a two week notice. I don't care about burning a potential reference, I already have another job lined up, I don't care about screwing up their day to day operation because it'll be screwed up regardless if I'm there or not. I just worry about my friends reputation if I quit with no notice. I think however his rep is already hurt with all the mistakes that landed me on a disciplinary probation. A two week notice won't change that, but it wouldn't make it worse for him. I might be overthinking this. He's well liked there as far as I can tell. I think the only way I could improve his reputation is by sticking out my 90 day probation period, but I don't think I can do another day of this. Help, I really need help.

i'd just leave w/giving any notice or remaining for the probation term. i have done that before - i was in my very early 20s, it was a field i didn't care about, i would never need the reference, and it was just a "job" to pay some bills, so i didn't care. i just said i would be leaving effective immediately, and that was that. since you're already a problem employee (by their standard anyway), you might as well just go w/out waiting out any more time. if your friend is really your friend he/she will already know you've had problems in the position and you might be doing your friend a favor by leaving now instead of staying on and making it worse. the longer you stay the more potential for things to go wrong and for your friend to make enemies too.

• Author
i'd just leave w/giving any notice or remaining for the probation term. i have done that before - i was in my very early 20s, it was a field i didn't care about, i would never need the reference, and it was just a "job" to pay some bills, so i didn't care. i just said i would be leaving effective immediately, and that was that. since you're already a problem employee (by their standard anyway), you might as well just go w/out waiting out any more time. if your friend is really your friend he/she will already know you've had problems in the position and you might be doing your friend a favor by leaving now instead of staying on and making it worse. the longer you stay the more potential for things to go wrong and for your friend to make enemies too.

Yeah I mean it's to the point where I feel like I'd be doing everyone a favor. This field is not something I want to have a career in at all. You know if it bites me in the ass sometime down the line job searching I won't be distraught.., but I'm tearing myself apart thinking about how my friend might be screwed over. I'm he guessing he understands and is probably disappointed , but business culture is weird you know? I hope this doesn't follow him

• Like 1
Yeah I mean it's to the point where I feel like I'd be doing everyone a favor. This field is not something I want to have a career in at all. You know if it bites me in the ass sometime down the line job searching I won't be distraught.., but I'm tearing myself apart thinking about how my friend might be screwed over. I'm he guessing he understands and is probably disappointed , but business culture is weird you know? I hope this doesn't follow him

can you give him a heads-up before you do it, if you do. that way he won't be told by other people.

Give the heads up to your friend.

At the very least tell the company that you are resigning. Offer them two weeks notice but tell them you are prepared to leave right then & there. Give the employer the choice.

Don't assume you will never need the reference again or that you will never see them again. Thinking like that will guarantee that karma puts somebody from that company in your path again in the future & they will think negatively of you for not giving notice.

Also remember you get unemployment if they fire you but you don't if you quit.